It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurt Locker .... The Ultimate Champ

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
so finally Hurt Locker has bagged the best picture award in academy awards. But i feel somehow strange that his close competitor ie Avatar was not awarded for best picture.

... i think i am missing some other aspects of the movie called Hurt Locker.

Anyway friends what does you think about the decision to give academy award to Hurt Locker. don't you think that Avatar should get this award in best picture section.....

your view members......

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This film won six Oscars at the 82nd Academy Awards, including Best Film Editing, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture.

and Avatar won only 3 as far as i know......

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The Hurt Locker was very entertaining movie. But Avatar was an amazing experience. Perhaps it's because the acting in Avatar wasn't special, and the story was not exactly original. It's a fantasy/escapism movie, and the Academy Awards LOVES movies about reality, if they have a choice.

That being said, I thought Inglorious Basterds should have been best picture/director/screenplay/cinematography.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
all based of bs political agenda... by the elitist committee for the academy awards

spreading war awareness... and b/c avatar was similar in plot to dances with wolves...

In my mind this is complete crap!!! should be based off of the overall movie EXPERIENCE..

Avatar will always be the greatest, we have proven that with the gross sales.

link   
Considering that avatar is still sold out in one of my local theaters and has been since its midnight showing, I think it should have won.

link   
Well, how can I explain it. Avatar = fantasy. Hurt Locker = reality. If that doesn't explain a whole lot to you, I don't know what else to say. I mean Hurt Locker was an excellent movie, kinda hit home for me. Avatar was...fun. Though I think Avatar got it's justice when it drove people to kill themselves. C'mon, how much more powerful can a movie get?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bijen

Avatar was not awarded for best picture.

Isn't Avatar a liberal anti-American pro-NWO film?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
ya.... HL is a reality movie but you can see the reality aspects of Avatar too...... in this movie humans are becoming very greedy and looting the other planets.... this is also a reality but in future . But for present Hurt locker is rocking coz of its reality and revealing the the truth.

... my point is that .... means if it come to reality movie VS a fantasy movie but logical, then the reality movie will be ultimate winner ??????

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

what do mean by anti american..... is that avatar is something called anti american movie..???

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

Avatar is a movie and Hurt Locker is a film and there is a big difference. Avatar is essentially Dancing with Wolves in 3D and were it not for the special effects, is no great shakes. The plot is been there/done that medley of natives are beautiful, corporates evil, bla bla bla.

Hurt Locker is a real film about a situation where a guy loses everything because all he wants to do is dismantle bombs. He loses himself to the idiocy of this war. Keeps coming back for more because after doing it he knows that he can't do anything else

Avatar should have a bunch technology related awards, nothing serious.

The new Alice and Wonderland movie in 3D is already on a pace to out-gross Avatar, not that money receipts should have any bearing on these awards because they should'nt

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
James Cameron is an egomaniacal turd. the preface to the script is longer than the script itself k lol

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Well]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
ya.... alice in wonderland is a great movie.... superb...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
xX aFTeRm4Th Xx said it first and I think he is right.

I don't have a source other than what my girl had told me, but the plot to Hurt Locker was lifted off of an actual US soldiers and his true life tails. Apparently the guy that wrote the script was in the same unit as the main character. I believe that there was a rift in the friendship of the main character and the scrip writer and he published without the permission of recognition that the main character deserves.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
ok.... means hurt locker is a true story of a soldier...... cool

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
From my understanding it is because they wanted a woman to win, and the director of Hurt Locker just happens to be James Cameron's ex-wife.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I've seen the Hurt Locker. It was a FANTASTIC movie!!!

I'm glad that it won. I'm tired of big budget blockbusters always winning. YAY for the indie movies!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
True Story or Not.. It was a little surprising to see Hurt Locker mopping up. My opinion Hurt Locker was a little on the boring side, but ok (and I generally love war stories). Avatar on the other hand, was *really* good. No idea how the chip fell where they did, but who would know if there wasn't some corruption in the voting. None of what goes on "behind the scenes" is up for public scrutiny. Some of the award results are pretty unbelievable. If you go by gross sales of each movie, you will see:

Hurt Locker $ 21,356,139

At 16x the revenue, Avatar sales are inline with the other big movies over the past decade whereas Hurt Locker gross sales are sub par and don't even come close. That is the difference between a true blockbuster and movies that goes straight to DVD. From a producer and financier standpoint, Avatar is still a winner even tho they didn't get the trophy. The academy apparently doesn't agree with the public on this. I was just looking on the oscar forums and there was alot of people who feel like the Avatar was cheated, and if you look at statistically.. they were.

If the academy awards were a public vote, it would have turned out quite differently. There were many who made this prediction a few weeks ago. One can only speculate about how that information was obtained when these films are not even in the same category. You will never know how close this actually was because the result will never be made public. Furthermore, if you watched the awards shows, you will notice that first 75% of the ceremony was for movies and stuff you never heard of, or care about, then they rush the last 25% are the major award, then then say "we are out of time", the switches to the local news or whatever. All those International categories should be awards of BAFTA or the European awards. There have always been movies and minor categories of the Academy awards which are a real joke, and you see these low budget films winning these trophies (truely undeserving) and this is no different. The real reward be based on raking in a half billion at the box office, and not some cheesy trophy but it is shameful how the Academy voting works.... supposedly, there were 5,277 voting members, with 200 of the members having expanded voting rights.

I always like the blockbuster type movies... the ones where people talk about how good it was. Nobody was raving over the Hurt Locker, but Avatar has a fan club, so go figure. I have no problem with voting body to critique films for the categories they are nominated for, but IMHO these films shouldn't have been in the same category... Movie awards/rewards should be based partly on their budget/gross ratio which would yield their blockbuster status. Remember Blair Witch Project? that sucker grossed about $250M and won the Global Film Critics award for best screenplay and also got nominated for a Razzie that same year. That was one of those movies where *everyone* and their friends *had* to go see it. Apparently the "word of mouth" thing and blockbuster or not... pretty meaningless these days.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

This belongs in BTS, there is no conspiracy as to why Avatar didnt win. It's an award show and IMO the more deserving film won. I loved Avatar, probably one of my new favorites, but THL was better all around. Avatar was all special effects and that this is fine. THL was more real and believable. Avatar is nothing new, it's just the same old formula with new characters. There wasnt really anything about it that hadnt been done a million times over.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BijenBut i feel somehow strange that his close competitor ie Avatar was not awarded for best picture.

This is clearly a BTS topic, but here's my imput:

District 9 > The Hurt Locker > Avatar

There's no accounting for taste in the masses, eh?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Isn't Avatar a liberal anti-American pro-NWO film?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by In nothing we trust]

Replace the US army in Avatar with any other standing army in the world, you would have the same message delivered. It's just using the US army because it is the current international aggressor. Nothing particularly anti-American about it.

That being said...

I think Inglorious Basterds should have won, Tarantino owns all.

<<   2 >>

join