It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communications techniques - Survival without the internet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I can't get to explicit on here...so I offer, alternative, un-common ways..

rds.yahoo.com...

ETA new linky...sorry yall...en.wikipedia.org...(music)

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

link isnt working.

Casing

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ShakeNBake

Ive downloaded most of these over a few years off the internet. Use utorrent and btjunkie.org and you can amass a huge .pdf book library i mean there are 100s of GBs of books out there in pdf format. Get what you think you will need. Im got things pertinent to my interests medicine, science, magazine.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I heard someone talk about setting up a network that is not attached to the known internet right now and that this should be encrypted.

I don't think you need to encrypt it because if times do get bad I don't think people are going to have the time nor the energy to start hacking into networks. Also this kind of connection would be very limited I believe and very fragile.

Its a complicated issue

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONALhow would I relay such information across a good distance.

You are out of luck.

PHYSICAL Transportation of a portable hard drive is by far the easiest and fastest way to get that information anywhere.

Other than that, if both parties are on fixed locations and within only a couple of miles range it is at least feasible to attempt an ad-hoc network with two high powered WiFi access points using directional antennas. But line of sight is preferred.

Just looking at how high bandwidth links are usually done, recall how news vans usually have a microwave tower on top with a dish aimed at another dish at some distant location. that is the kind of setup that can allow an individual to establish a high bandwidth link without depending on any infrastructure. The tower is need to get a clear line of sight.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by afksky2

Very good, we need more people like you: Just an interesting project that you would like to consider:

Downloading wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

The 7z file takes a few gbs to download but when unparsed it takes a few 100GB of storage, with no pictures.

I think an external HD with entire wikipedia would be a good resource to have at home with no communications.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

Two Essential books for radio communications especially if you have digital data. Imagine you can take screencaptures of your laptop and save it as a .jpg and transmit the file. Very Very critical in my opinion. I think this is very great.

Update:

www.swdcarc.org/HF%20Digital%20Communications.ppt

A powerpoint presentation on transmitting digital data using a transceiver and a computer!

[edit on 8-3-2010 by THE_PROFESSIONAL]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Great thread. Here is a site I order from. beprepared.com...

Thanks for starting this.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
hopefully you have youre pc protected for an EMP.....that will happen at an poleshift...(potential difference)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
hopefully you have youre pc protected for an EMP.....that will happen at an poleshift...(potential difference)

Actually, that's unlikely. Pole shifts seem to take some time to occur. Although the long line distribution network will likely bite it due to geomagnetic heaving from solar wind during the transition.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I have offline servers that are, with a full system backup I can have a system up and running with in a few hours via Wifi and packet radio back haul's.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I pull from them every few weeks, There is alot of data from that site.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Yes Ive been looking into this now. Recall anyone who has a wireless network card essentially has a 2.4 Ghz Radio unit that transmits digital data and is operated by a computer.

HSMM is an emerging field for amateurs that can use this to digitally transmit voice, video, images, chat in point to point communications, I am very excited about this.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If anyone is interested in picking up some equipment I have two military PRC-77 30-75MHz transceivers. They've both been checked and calibrated and have the D-cell battery box inserts (so you can run them on regualr D-cell batteries). They both have the antenna sets, hand sets, etc. and are 100% working. U2U me if interested. Check eBay for pricing so you know what we're talking about here.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just discovered a method to chat/im without the internet:
It involves using Amateur radio and your computer. The computer basically changes the chat text to radio waves that another person can pick up

www.dxzone.com...

Very very interesting.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Another potential option in near future will be a combination of Wi-Fi Direct

en.wikipedia.org...

and

Long Range Wi-Fi

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Amatuer radio, is an excellent means of communication. I've been a licensed operator for going on 30 years. If you aren't licensed, I suggest to everyone that they take the testing and acquire one. These days, it's a matter of studying a book, and taking a multiple choice test, which is cheap, about $6.00. Most communities have clubs, you can get tons of information and help from them.

Just a couple of points though. Radios require a power source. In a disaster scenario, availability of electrical power is an unknown. Unless you own a generator, or have a VERY large hamster wheel.....well, never mind. Anyway, one solution is deep cycle car batteries, or RV types. You can even use solar for recharging them. You'll have to have something like that anyway, if you plan to put up a "repeater" site on top of a mountain or tall building.

You can run a handheld, or even a mobile radio off a car battery for a relatively long period of time. But, sooner or later, you need to recharge, or replace it.

The other thing you have to consider, what range or distance are you wanting to communicate? For "local", you'll have to use the higher bands, 50Mhz on up, preferrably the 2 meter band 144-148 Mhz, as a low point.

For further out, you need to go 50 Mhz or lower. Just the physics of wavelength. You talk around the world on lowband, but it's useless for reaching your buddy 30 miles away.

Lots of stuff to consider, and be aware of. Yeah, it would be handy in a disaster, as long as you cover the other issues, but I recommend it even in normal times. I've saved lots of money over the years by talking to my wife via radio traveling to and from work. Them there cell phones cost MONEY.

Once you pay for the radio, pretty much everything else if FREE. In fact, you can't charge for anything over the radio. The FCC frowns heavily on that. Thankfully.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Sorry to dig this up but I just saw a scientific american article talking about just what we discussed a few months ago...looks like i beat them...but here it is

www.scientificamerican.com...

In this era of Facebook, Twitter and the iPhone, it is easy to take for granted our ability to connect to the world. Yet communication is most critical precisely at those times when the communications infrastructure is lost. In Haiti, for example, satellite phones provided by aid agencies were the primary method of communication for days following the tragic earthquake earlier this year. But even ordinary events such as a power outage could cripple the cell phone infrastructure, turning our primary emergency contact devices into glowing paperweights.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
. _ _ .... ._ _ / .... ._ _ .... / _ _ . _ _ _ _.. /

._ _ ._. _ _ _ .._ _ _. .... _ / .._ _..

What hath God Wrought?

Samuel Morse's first message sent over his Morse code set.

Morse code can be difficult but so can any knowledge useful or practical in aiding people to communicate.

You merely apply yourself to the discipline.

Good Luck in your endeavours,

Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join