It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Stonewall Jackson Die at Chancellorsville?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Some latter-day tales of the Civil War are a match for any of their predecessors. One concerning the fate of Stonewall Jackson is told by Roy A. Wykoff, Jr., of Davenport Iowa.
In 1935 a retired army major, John Murphy, revealed to Wykoff that Stonewall Jackson was not killed at Chancellorsville, Virginia, in May, 1863, as his contemporaries and history would have it.
Murphy declared that as a Confederate sergeant he had served as orderly to Jackson, and as proof displayed a silver watch engraved: "To T.J. Jackson from Robert E. Lee."
Murphy's tale:
"Stonewall Jackson and I deserted from the Confederate States Army on May 2, !863 at 9 P.M. We rode up the Plank Road to the Mountain, or Mineral Springs Road, at Chancellorsville, and crossed the union lines there."
"Eventually we rode to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where we found a group of dead Federal soldiers. This was in July, 1863. General Jackson put on a Federal soldier's uniform and found in its pocket papers identifying its owner as Moses E. Milner, California Volunteers."
"General Jackson joined the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters at Gettysburg, the regiment under Colonel Hiram Berdan.
"In 1867-68, General Jackson was a scout for General Custer-and served also under the name of California Joe Milner in the Black Hills for General Crook."
"In 1876, this man (General Stonewall Jackson, alias California Joe Milner) was shot from ambush near Fort Robinson, Nebraska, by two cattle rustlers."
"On November 1, as a liutenant of the 14th U.S. Infantry, I buried this man, Jackson-Milner, in a lead-sheathed coffin at Fort Robinson military cemetery."
As evidence, offered in face of the testimony of hundreds who saw Stonewall in his casket before his Richmond burial in May, 1863, Wykoff cites the records from Fort McPherson National Cemetery at Maxwell, Nebraska, where a grave numbered 5921, Section S, is occupied by Moses E. Milner. Officials confirm the record of Milner's burial, but know nothing of the legend itself.
-taking from a manuscript i came
across. initials D.F.

If indeed he did desert the Confederacy did he not have a wife and child and if did he join the Sharpshooter regiment with one arm? I cant tell you. An interesting read though.

join