It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love. (from 2010)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have now disabled my adblock for ATS. Didn't realise it caused a problem for you guys.

I would like to add one thing, I would be happy to pay for an ad free ATS. You could have a donation policy, not a set ammount. That means that those who can afford it, donate, and those that can't don't have to. Another site I post on uses this policy, as the guy in charge refuses to have any ads at all. And it's a large traffic site, he gets some big offers from ad companies. Only a certain percent donate, but he gets more than enough to run the site. I reckon there'd be plenty of people willing to do this, on a donation basis (ie- not enforced membershp) if ATS went add free.
I certainly would.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73

a website this big doesn't come cheap, why should anyone be out of pocket?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

This website is big and bloated at the owners discretion. Maybe if they trimmed the fat their bills wouldnt be so large.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

This website is big and bloated at the owners discretion. Maybe if they trimmed the fat their bills wouldnt be so large.
Well, the size of the website is another discussion, but ATS is what it is. A vast website covering a very broad spectrum of topics. It's not really asking too much to ask people to turn off their add blockers for this site.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This website is big and bloated at the owners discretion.

The actual "size" is of little consequence. It's accommodating very-high traffic that becomes expensive.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fumanchu
There are plenty of sites on the internet with higher traffic ranking than ATS who do not need to resort to advertisements in order to bay the bills.

Hrm... which sites are those?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I heard about this a while ago and stopped using adblock. Its not fair to websites to use it. At least IMO. And sometimes i find an ad or two that i actually want to click on

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hey skipper,

I read your post.....read it again and still i can't make anything out of it. I am not the most technically inclined person and i could not tell if i was blocking anything if my live depended on it.

What can i do?

I know that when i am not logged in under my user name i get the occasional pop-up and usually leave it unattended on the back ground. When i am logged in i don't get anything!!

All i have is this old laptop with WinXP and some virus scanner called NOD32. Could you give me some pointers where i should look if i am unintentionally blocking anything?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Perhaps if they were simple text ads. But on my slow connection it can take 20 minutes to load some ads. Plus doesn't the bandwidth suffer from grapics laden ads as well??

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You guys are way to polite about this. I like simple.

No Ad's = No ATS

If they want ATS, they will not block the ads. If they don't care, why care about them?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

Are you running an ad blocker? Did you agree to the T&C to be here?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

It sounds like you are OK as-is. You probably don't need to make any changes at all if you have not done the following:

1) installed Firefox Web Browser
2) installed NoScript (Firefox addon)
3) installed AdBlockPlus (Firefox addon)
4) installed BetterPrivacy (Firefox addon)
5) updated your Hosts file

If you use default Internet Explorer you should be complying with the ToS by default in this case. Users that want to contribute to the site are being asked to turn off third-party applications/addons that they have manually installed to help block ad content.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by Ionized]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

Your being irrational because your angry. Problem is that ATS did nothing to you to make you angry.

That quote you posted is irrelevant to the conversation. Why does it upset you that ATS is doing well. Would you rather it failed?

Do you somehow think the people who run this should not be paid and if the board is wildly successful they should not be rewarded?

You and I are guests here on this private site. They don't ask much from us for the use of this place. To not do what they ask is childish and troll like to say the least. In fact I'm a fool for arguing with you.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Actually im a paid goverment disinfo agent. and it would very much help our cause if everyone uses adblock plus.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Guidelines are clearly mentioned in T/C. Whoever signs up to use the web forum should abide by them, nothing complicated in it imho. I dont mind the ads around to use this web forum. Keep up the good work guyz!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join