It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love. (from 2010)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
can anyone tell me how to write an exception filter for ATS for firefox?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I only have one problem with this , the fact that it requires you to contribute in order to remove the ads from here. I will occasionally comment on the odd thread and have maybe tried to post 4 threads in my 2+ years here. I prefer to lurk on this forum as I come here to read interesting ideas.

Heck before joining I lurked for the better part of 2 years without signing up.

There is no recourse for those of us who do not post threads and prefer to lurk. I understand the inherent issues with a "pay to play" system. However it would help those of us who are lurkers out considerably by allowing us to do without the ads while getting the site revenue.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here.

in a reply to pharo above me - if you use abp - click the stop sign at the top and the drop down, it has a listing that says disable on abovetopsecret.com. Should take care of your problem, provided you use abp.

[edit on 3/8/10 by Hypntick]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And in any event, why aren't you informing us about these?

Excellent - what's the consultancy fee like on providing feedback on potentially dangerous adverts?

-m0r

Its strange that,

I asked asimilair question last week.

I was in a car crash. I was driving the car. It was my car. I choose to go down a certain road and skidded on some ice and had a bump.

When I phoned Aston Martin (lol I wish) and asked how much they would give me for the accident report they laughed in my face.

Besides my similair experience last week, just to answer very breifly on behalf of SO and Springer and all members, on your question....

You will recieve a Video and Audio portal with bespoke inhouse productions free of charge on the topics you like.

You will free of charge be able to pose questions to some of the top experts in the world in things that interest you.

You will be treated fairly, with respect and have a clear path to further contribute to the community, brilliance is noticed not bought or weasled.

You will have access to, and be able to contribute in the best, biggest, most well respected, sexy community in thw world on topics you like.

You have free access to over 3 million posts among which are the best most consise, critically analysed and open, content in the world today.

All changes (well nearly) to this community will be first run by the members, and their suggestions and complaints ideas will drive the final result.

You will have free access to refreshments and breaks, on a flexi basis in the form of BTS

You will be able to confidently mention the community you are a part of to those unfamiliar with these topics, because when they check it out the professionalism, standards, members, content and moderation is plain for all to see.

No need to hide your browsing history as embarressed unlike other sites in the genre.

Like this posts, even if someone disagrees with your point of view they will as a member of ATS always give you the reason why maybe using satire or sarcasm, but very rarely insults.

No need to worry about catching any STD by cavorting in this community, once a member, naked and logged your browsing and contribution will be safe from any malware, virus or such like. ATS is a clean bird.

The ability in years to come to say " And I was There" and become part of tommorrows trend today. Be a herder not a sheeple.

Free scotch eggs every tuesday for life if you crack the secret code.

I know my standards are not that high sometimes, sign of a mispent youth, however it seems like a very excellent deal to me.

In fact in a british TV show "Deal or No Deal" the members could be said to be "spanking the banker" indeed.

We all bring 10p and 1p some £100 boxes to the table in regards to what we contribute, but walk away with a "life changing" amount of information, truth, friendships, community and good times.

If someone wants to bring an empty box, I suggest they go and play a differant game.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by yadda333

That's EXACTLY RIGHT, we work for YOU and the membership.

Now try to consider the statement again.

Springer...

I understand exactly what you're saying, but I'm not so sure that's what you believe. Perhaps you could have tried to make a point without the unecessary attempt at a witty comeback.

Your unwillingness to simply say, "without the membership, ATS doesn't exist," leads me to believe that you feel we owe you something. It certainly doesn't send the message that you work for us.

See, that's your problem Springer. You, and much of the admin/mods, don't speak to the membership with respect. Instead, you speak with a sense of entitlement.

You don't speak to us like we're the boss, like you insist in your statement above. You speak to us as though we should be down on our knees, praising you for allowing us to wander around on your web-site.

I don't use an ad blocker. I think you should be able to earn your revenue. But, don't ever forget that you have nothing without the membership. I would also appreciate it if you and the Overlord would stop talking down to us on this board. I think we all expect more.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

In short; "It's my ball and if you don't play by my rules I'm going home"?

Sounds like an interesting take on a solitary game of wallie to me.

You must have access to another part of the forum than I because all that lovely content your described in your post seem incredibly hard to find to me. That and the fair and balanced membership which promotes discussion too. Not impossible, just really hard to find on a consistent basis.

I like it here, I think ads are a fine way of paying for the upkeep of the site and provide a wage to those who supply it. But with heavy handed banning used to members who admitted to using adblock whilst others who said they didn't know and would now turn it off it seems a little like the temper tantrums are out of hand and there are toys all over the nursery floor.

Perhaps if feedback is also supplied by the users then an admission of "Ok, we supply the site (Cheap), make sure it's found on Google (Free), subject you to ads (Granted they seem fairly well filtered), put together the odd newscast (Can't be that much), accept user generated content in both the forms of posts and media uploads (Free) and have no way of knowing whether or not you follow all of the T&Cs except when you make an admission of it and then we'll carefully use a judgement call on whether or not that particular admission is bannable".

All I want is to either get rid of the cult fashioning nutjobs and other wackos altogether or to accept that perhaps some members admitted to something but there is no way of proving that their admissions were true.

If you can have a time traveler, an alien from Andromeda, a grey and plenty of star children around here claiming all day long about their extraordinary tales then why can't you have a lying (or ignorant) member talk about blocking ads?

I can sure as heck tell you now that disclosure from members will be not as forthcoming in future and plenty of folks will now be using AdBlock and NoScript as a result of those bannings earlier in this thread.

Purely on principle.

As already mentioned, education is the key here not heavy handed asinine reactions to having to buy a slightly cheaper bottle of bolinger that night because someone else's content may, or may not have, an advert stuck next to it and if said advert creates any trouble then those who generate said content are accountable for it being brought to attention.

Do you get reimbursed from your ad detection agency when these bad things occur? Does that pay for systems that have been fouled up by adhering to the T&Cs here? What about work lost due to broken computers? - Is ATS held accountable for that too?

So since ATS pretty much has a carte blanche here can't we all just get along?

I think if we just let the steam out - apologise to those members barred, reinstate them 'for volunteering their feedback freely about AdBlock' and *ahem* 'trust' each other then perhaps we can allow this manic doll house fiasco to continue in an amiable fashion.

AS stated many times, I like it here, I've got its back covered and will freely give my opinion on things I think could make it better and accept when I am wrong in my assumptions. But I like to do it without brown on my nose and with my shoulders held back and chin held high.

So ATS, can we reinstate those who were (in my opinion) wrongfully banned?

-m0r

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Will send the text file as you said to do. Sending the screenshots might not work (dialup here.)

Based on the information you provided in the malware report, it appears as though the source of the problem may be malware/adware on your computer. There's a great deal of:
malware
nuisanceware
ransomeware
adware
That is obtained via "piggyback" on all manner of downloads and disguised email attachments that lies dormant until some type of trigger -- such as specific web browsing actions -- initiates activity. In fact, the majority of such malicious code finds its way to your computer via other means than web use.

Your best bet is to use a trusted tool to scan your computer (preferably after booting from a CD).

But just to be certain, we're running a thorough test of the Pulse360 ads which deliver the MSNBC (rarely seen now) ads.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm just putting this out there, but why doesn't ATS have a donate bar in which one could possibly donate some money for ATS to stay online?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Do you get reimbursed from your ad detection agency when these bad things occur? Does that pay for systems that have been fouled up by adhering to the T&Cs here? What about work lost due to broken computers? - Is ATS held accountable for that too?

Systems fouled up?
Lost work?
Bad things occurring?

With over 120,000 unique people hitting ATS on a daily basis (sometimes more), I would think that if all these terrible things were originating via ads on ATS, we'd hear much more about it. And while it seems you distrust our statements of this type, I can assure you that not only are these types of reports very rare (considering the high amount of traffic), there's no corroborating evidence from other high-volume users of the site.

When these things happened... did you let us know? If you're that certain that the source came from some item displayed through ATS, do you not care enough about our other users to help us determine the point of origin?

So ATS, can we reinstate those who were (in my opinion) wrongfully banned?

It's up to them to make contact (easy to do) and discuss things with us. So far, no one has.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I distrust everything equally so please don't think that I've singled out your statements any more than I would my wife telling me she loves me or a dog whining because it's hungry

Distrust makes trust.

All I'm looking for here is that if there must be a paper trail then there must be accountability in one form or other. You can't have both.

Also those members banned did contact you with feedback - through this thread - and so I'd say the ball is in your court to back down and say sorry for overreacting to said feedback.

I'm happy to play space detective/universe solver/humanity analyser on your site. It's a nice site. You've spent lots of time and energy building it up, sorting out the rules and providing lots of excellent tools and resources to make the experience all the better for everyone. So please don't think I dislike you, your team or the way this site operates.

What I am saying is that without quality contributions here it's no more than Gaia online. Sure it'll make you money if that's your end goal - but I thought you guys were all about the truth and sharing the truth.

When content providers relay something to you that doesn't sit comfortably it'd be bigger of you to listen to it and at least appease it some than come in all ban hammer and 'angry daddy' finger-pointing. It looks weak.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

When content providers relay something to you that doesn't sit comfortably it'd be bigger of you to listen to it and at least appease it some than come in all ban hammer and 'angry daddy' finger-pointing.

When such complaints are a very-small percentage, and those complaints hit-home (our hard work not deserving compensation), it's difficult... as it would be for any hard working person to suffer pointed remarks about their efforts.

However, given our track-record of going way-above-and-beyond in being proactive about ensuring a safe and reliable environment, I think our management decisions highlight that we not only listen, we care.

So then... what about those malware issues you had? Are you able to help us determine the source?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So what's the problem?

The main problem I have with that, Is I only can get slow internet, because I live in the country, And its the only way I can get through my favorite sites, and still keep doing my every day things, without having to spend all day on the computer. It actually take quite a wile to bring sites up that have adds. So sorry if it is taking money off them, but I have other things to do like, looking after my children all day, and don not have time for a site to take 5 minutes to load each time I want to check something, witch usually takes 2 to 3 minutes to check. So they will just have to learn to live with it from my end.

Peace out

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Trappedinspace]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I've never had any issues from here. I'm only highlighting that some people have allegedly had some and a few other have allegedly had issues with AdBlock or advertising in general.

Were I to have an issue I would have fully researched it first prior to sending it, and its solution, to your moderator forum for full perusal by all involved there. But as I've said -I've personally never had a complaint to give about adverts from ATS (well except the mosquito and the talkey faces - but they were everywhere at the time).

I think you guys do a good job, I think you deserve to get paid for the job you have done, are doing and will continue to do. I'd applaud you on it if I could and I know that the future will be so bright that I've gotta wear shades. What you could be doing that would be better is to have proper reflective practice structure into your protocol framework and not ban people who give you feedback upon their experiences on the site.

A warning due to a T&C violation would have been much more apt earlier in this thread than an outright banning to the 2 members involved in sharing their thoughts about adverts with you. I've no vested interest in anything here other than wanting to see my perception of 'the right thing' done by.

I am impressed with how this site moderates, has discussions in the appropriate backend forum, has a profile on members who have had issues integrating with the rules and/or decorum in the past and tries its best to be open and transparent about what it does and how it goes about doing it.

Now nothing is perfect. There will always be a few mistakes, however some are avoidable and for me banning members for sharing their views (however jarring it is to your world viewpoint) does't sit well under the ethos of 'Deny Ignorance'.

Ads, sure some people love em' some people hate em'. Sharing your opinion about ads - well that's a given right surely. Especially when you in the know can justify the need for their existence, have shown that you filter them at the highest level possible and are willing to listen immediately to any issues with them as well as give detailed analysis of individual reports of troubles. So with such a detailed, transparent and level headed approach to the subject of adverts - why ban people who not only were open to communication ergo educated about them, but allow others who later (having learned the hard way having seen fellow decent members banned) admitted to having AdBlock running but would now disengage it here.

Those other 2 members weren't given that option - and it sort of sullies the waters of all the hard work you've done in your thinking about adverts already. You've tried your best to make sure it's all above board and proper and then you ban any sign of dissent (and a rather small one too I must say) without justifying that.

I'm pretty sure this can all be resolved and get back to being good. But could you at least humour me with the idea that you understand the concept I am driving at when I speak of needless heavy-handedness with regards to the 2 members now banned for sharing their opinions about online adverts in a thread which talks about online adverts?

Cheers for your time and I hope you know I'm not against you or the site - I just want a little bit of social justice here.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Here's my two cents.

I don't object to ads. Websites cost money and these ads keep what we love within easy reach so I'm not opposed. But here's my problem.

I'm running a machine that is old old old. Before I installed the adblocker I'd come to ATS and my browser would lock up. I became suspicious of the ads and installed the blocker. I haven't had a problem since.

I run the Firefox browser and had used Opera. Firefox works the best for me. The only reason I don't use IE is because I don't trust Bill Gates or Microsoft- at all!

But, I'm willing to accommodate. Give me a fix that allows me to run Firefox and keep the ads running without locking up the browser and I will do my part to keep ATS in the black.

If that means ponying up a monthly subscription to kill the ads and it's reasonable I would consider that as well. A month ago I wouldn't have considered the proposition but since the omniscient SkepticOverlord has declared war on trolls and hacks I feel comfortable with such a move.

ATS is a great place and I'd like to keep it around for as long as Uncle allows it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CmdrZero

Try Google Chrome browser. It's very, very fast. Has a sandbox environment for scripts (keeps your private data safe) and displays adverts (although not pop-ups) by default.

You can customise it and what-have-you but it's certainly a very good browser straight out the box. I alternate between it and Firefox for the sites I view.

As Firefox is fully loaded with NoScript, AdBlock and a wealth of other things so stop footprints getting onto my hard drive. -serious internet business stuff.

Chrome is great for just browsing at high speed and not having any issues with scripts getting into the delicate parts of your computer.

Give it a whirl*

-m0r

*Standard Google knows everything you do by default restrictions apply.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Let's get real. People only want the choice to pay a subscription instead of viewing ads. No one is proposing you go subscription only. You would have some people paying and others raising revenue from viewing ads. A few lines of code could eliminate the ads, expand the viewing pane, and make the pages much more friendly to the eye. Subscription management is not all that expensive. When surfing the site there need not be any indication if you are subscription or not. You are just shooting instinctivly from your hip when you say it couldn't be viable and that payers would demand favoritism.

The only possible concern is how much would one be willing to pay and the method of payment. I would be willing to pay about $3 per month to see this site with no ads, and I don't even spend that much time here. If you make more than $3 per month off of displaying ads to me, then that just proves my point that this method of advertising will not work in the long run. Multiply me by a hundred thousand users and you can plainly reason that the advertisers will be dissapointed. There is no way they will make $36 a year off of my purchases. To think that I will stop reading a thread I have interest in to click on a Sprint ad is naive at best.

For a conspiracy site you put quite a bit of faith in industry gathered numbers for ad effectiveness. I would bet that the trojans and malicous hardware that is found in display ads probably results in as much revenue as actual product sales from all the other ads combined. The only real beneficial advertising on the net is google and other search ads. You get search specific results on what you are looking for instead of some random sales pitch.

As far as ATS, you have had several trojan containing ads in the past. You admit as much, but then rip anyone who says they got one from this site. That's not really fair. I have been on that side of the discussion before. I believe that you are doing everything you can to stop them, but you don't directly control the ads, so no matter how you try, you can not guarantee 100% that a user won't be served with a trojan containing ad. A few dollars a month to avoid the ads all together would be well worth it to be able to avoid that one in a million ad that could cause damage.

Another alternative is to control your own ads. I can think of at least 100 advertisers who would readily put their ads on your site on a long term basis as you have a pretty targeted audience in many respects. Throwing up any ad that someone is willing to pay you to show actually shows disrespect to your users in my opinion.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by oconnection
I said I'd be willing to pay out of pocket for access to this site?

It's not a viable option.

Subscription models have never worked, and have never provided enough revenue, for online-only publishers.

Also, within user-generated communities such as ATS, paid subscriptions result in more problems than solutions. Paid members inevitably "feel" superior to those not paying, not an environment we wish to enable. (not saying you would, but it's the nature of how things are)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Green lighted ATS on ABP

Now, if only I could find something to turn that sidebar link off

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You guys should honestly just say it out right.

If you don't like the website and if you don't respect its rules, leave. The message is quite simple. For those that don't value what ATS provides free of charge on a daily basis or don't respect the rules that have been imposed in order to better the community that you are a part of then just leave, good riddance.

I can't speak for the staff or anyone for that matter, but that's my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

If I may make a suggestion.

When you complain about a behavior, also offer the solution in the same post.

Edit into your original post instructions on how to allow ads from ATS only into Ad blocker Plus and any other highly popular ad blockers. I have read the posts that say you have to be an idiot if you cant operate a computer.....yadda yadda, but the fact of the matter is, some people do not know HOW to allow a whole website to be an exception to the ad blocking rule.

There may be instructions buried in the thread somewhere, I saw at least one person asking this question, but then when you began banning people for admitting they have ad blockers, you may have made it too risky for anyone else to ask how to comply with your request.

If you post it in your opening post, then people can easily comply if they are willing to. I think that would be very helpful to some of the less computer savvy among us.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join