It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Dwarf Reality Shows The Freak Show of Today ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
For some reason television has been inundated with reality show's featuring Dwarf's, ...... maybe one was ok, but it's starting to get kind of ridiculous, here's a list of shows I came up with so far .....

Little People Big World
Little Chocolatiers
The Little Couple
Our Little Life
The Littlest Groom

and I think 3 or 4 of them are on the TLC channel alone, it seems they are attemping a dwarf monopoly.

If you've ever seen these shows, you will note that their not very entertaining, in fact nothing of significance happens at all, ..... what they do like to show is the dwarfs struggling to get out of chairs, ... climb objects to reach things, and all in all just talk about being a dwarf in general.

It seems that their kind of being exploited just for being dwarfs, ..... so the average american can just watch them as some kind of oddity.

What do you think ?? a modern freak show ?? or am I just beyond bored tonight.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Has to be the worst television I have ever witnessed.

It is pure exploitation and not entertaining at all.

The sad part is most people with any form of handicap at all, want nothing more than to be treated exactly the same as everyone else. All this is doing is further separating them.

But I also hate the recent attraction of the UFC. Rome was huge into the Gladiator phase when they began their mighty fall.

"All we ever learn from history, is that we never learn anything from history"

Semper

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

If you've ever seen these shows, you will note that their not very entertaining, in fact nothing of significance happens at all, ..... what they do like to show is the dwarfs struggling to get out of chairs, ... climb objects to reach things, and all in all just talk about being a dwarf in general.

Are you complaining that a reality show is actually realistic? I hardly consider 4 shows a monopoly. Are they cashing in? Sure. But it also brings to light what members of our society who are different, go through.

Instead of being a freakshow, exposure is going to lessen people's sensitivities and they won't be treated like freak shows anymore.

TLC always overdoes a theme. How many design shows are there? How many remodeling shows?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, the one I love watching the most,"Little people,big world"they are being "exploited"as you say to about the tune of $75,000 per episode.

The one about the young couple,the female being a doctor and one of the top in her field nationally,they are paid in the range of $65,000 dollars.

I think if they thought they were being exploited ,they would not be involved in it.They are also educating people that people with their condition are capable of living within a world designed for average sized people.

Maybe ,you not being able to comprehend that, is indicative of who is actually "handicapped".

I thought the "freaks" were the ones having their body's permanently tattooed.

Someday there will probably be a show of elderly tattooed people called,"What was I thinking?"

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

75,000 dollars ??? I was under the impression they were broke because one of the children was trying to get a scholarship.... and then ended up going to community college.

I never said they were freaks, .... but they have a show for all the wrong reasons, .... not highlighting their personalities, but their disabilities.

...... and even circus freaks get paid.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
ah yes, theres another one called " little parents, big pregnancy".

Where will this end ???

top topics

join