It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin, evolution

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
amazing! i cant believe people do not believe in evolution still!

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by hippomchippo

There was a time when the Bible was the only source for science Pal.
Man just followed the Bibles lead.

Did you know that there are a Great many "Scientifically Prophetic" Bible passeges?
Many Scientists,Evolutionists, Astronomers, Athiests will often try to," lend a boot"
to Chritianity or the Bible by using science.
What I would like to show those that are interested.
Is how the Christian Bible is actually
centuries ahead of science with out beiTime had a beginning - 2 Timothy 1:9, Titus 1:2, 1 Corinthians 2:72
The universe had a beginning - Genesis 1:1, 2:4, Isaiah 42:5, etc.3
The universe was created from the invisible(atoms) - Hebrews 11:34
The dimensions of the universe were created - Romans 8:38-395
The universe is expanding - 44:24Job 9:8, Psalm 104:2, Isaiah 40:22, Isaiah 42:5,
Isaiah 45:12, Isaiah 48:13, Isaiah 51:13, Jeremiah 10:12, Jeremiah 51:15, Zechariah 12:16
Creation of matter and energy has ended in the universe (refutes steady-state theory)
- Genesis 2:3-47
The universe is winding down and will "wear out" (second law of thermodynamics ensures
that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy) - Psalm 102:25-278
Describes the correct order of creation - Genesis 1 (Day-Age Genesis One Interpretation)
Number of stars exceeds a billion - Genesis 22:17, Jeremiah 33:229(Also I think that this
one predicts that man will also exceed the billions)
Every star is different - 1 Corinthians 15:4110
Pleiades and Orion as gravitationally bound star groups - Job 38:3111
Light is in motion - Job 38:19-2012
The earth is controlled by the heavens - Job 38:331
Earth is a sphere - Isaiah 40:2213 Job 26:1014
At any time, there is day and night on the Earth - Luke 17:34-3515
Earth is suspended in space - Job 26:716
Earth began as a waterworld. Formation of continents by tectonic activity described -
Genesis 1:2-9, Psalm 104:6-9, Proverbs 3:19, Proverbs 8:27-29, Job 38:4-8, 2 Peter 3:517
Water cycle described - Ecclesiastes 1:7; Isaiah 55:10, Job 36:27-2818
Valleys exist on the bottom of the sea - 2 Samuel 22:1619
Vents exist on the bottom of the sea - Job 38:1620
Ocean currents in the sea - Psalm 8:821
Air has weight - Job 28:2522
Winds blow in circular paths - Ecclesiastes 1:623
The chemical nature of human life - Genesis 2:7, 3:1924
Life of creatures are in the blood - Leviticus 17:1125
The nature of infectious diseases - Leviticus 13:4626
Importance of sanitation to health - Numbers 19, Deuteronomy 23:12-13, Leviticus 7-927
credit agree to disagree
.......................................................................................

Try again.

I wish when people posted something like this the reference was a link, so i could click it and see what was said, I don't own a bible.
For me and many others it would be a whole lot more convincing to see it.

I picked a random one.

The universe is winding down and will "wear out" (second law of thermodynamics ensures
that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy) - Psalm 102:25-278

Psalm 102:25-27

25 Of old You laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
26 They will perish, but You will endure;
Yes, they will all grow old like a garment;
Like a cloak You will change them,
And they will be changed.
27 But You are the same,
And Your years will have no end.

how do you get
that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy)
from that quote?

[edit on 7-3-2010 by thestink]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I read how it is part of the agenda to push home schooling for the purpose of keeping individuals purposefully ignorant. Keeping a population dumbed down is required for the tyrants to remain tyrants. less open discussion and speculation when your teacher is also your belt weilding parent whom will whip ya if you question whats said. heh.

I'm currently homeschooled (9th grade). I think the opposite effect happened. SInce I became homeschooled in 2008 I have turned into a conspiracy theorist and that is the only reason I even found ATS. My parents don't force any religion on me because neither of them are religious. I am an Agnostic and I personally think that homeschooling has showed me their lies and propaganda. But I would definitly like to return to public school, homeschooling SUCKS!

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink
I wish when people posted something like this the reference was a link, so i could click it and see what was said, I don't own a bible.

librivox.org...

...totally free audio books online... you can find several versions of the bible there...

...theres some good stuff there as well... i listened to jack london's "memoirs of an alcoholic" (the legendary john barleycorn) - its a hoot... currently listening to "two years in the forbidden city" by princess der ling and lovin' it..

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
As idiotic as it may seem, these people that attend homeschool will more than likely be waaayyy smarter than a public schooled individual. The way I figure it, indoctrination is gonna happen either way. At least they get a good education. It is their parents and that is a good bit less offensive than a science teacher that doesn't care about your beliefs preaching about evolution. I personally believe they coincide with one another anyways and it really doesn't matter.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

librivox.org...

...totally free audio books online... you can find several versions of the bible there...

...theres some good stuff there as well... i listened to jack london's "memoirs of an alcoholic" (the legendary john barleycorn) - its a hoot... currently listening to "two years in the forbidden city" by princess der ling and lovin' it..

I don't want to listen to and or study the whole bible.
if your quoting something, and applying to to modern day science
I'd like to see the original quote easily.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

currently listening to "two years in the forbidden city" by princess der ling and lovin' it..

I didn't know Las Vegas existed back in the biblical days.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's all wrong or inconsistent or you're just interpreting a passage to fit what you want it to say. A lot of the basic knowledge of science was established in ancient Greece and Babylonia, long before the bible was written.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

I think good, God respecting parents are fed up with the holes in evolution, and the constant changing of science to fit with inconvenient truths, and the forcing of the religion (evolutionism) down our childrens throats.
I get pretty irritated by this kind of fundamental misunderstanding of what science is. Still, more & more, I'm coming round to the idea that its a good thing.
Just imagine how much more & how much more disparate information we are required to have at least a rudimentary understanding of these days, in order to fully take part in society, than they did back in 1910. There's a good chance that many children being taught now will still be alive at the turn of next century: how much more complex will their knowledge requirement be? Without a good grasp of science & the ability to live with the insecurity inherent in the nature of constantly updated theory, people will be just dead weight.
Whats good about that? Nothing intrinsically, but its a case of "the lesser of 2 evils". Somebody that cannot keep up simply retards society; somebody with greater understanding has the potential to pervert it, or perhaps even reverse the tide of history. Its often said that knowledge is power, but also a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Its sad for the individual children, but if they're going to be brought up a fool anyway, then, the more foolishness they're taught, the better. Besides, my great grandchildren will need wage-slaves to do the jobs they'd rather not, just as I need them now.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by Tyler 720
Fundamentaly, Religion and science CANNOT dissagree because they are FUNDAMENTALY the search for truth.

If you find an area where science and religion dissagree, YOU ARE INTERPRETING ONE OR THE OTHER OR BOTH WRONG.

Sorry for trolling or spaming or whatever you whipersnappers call it.

Yes, they both search for the truth
But they use entirely different methods for searching, one works, the other doesnt.

Your right, science can never seem to make up its mind and get anything right, it just keeps making things up as it goes. Those are the best theories...ones you can change for convienence.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by rcwj1975]

I really hope you don't actually believe that.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

There was a time when the Bible was the only source for science Pal.
Man just followed the Bibles lead.

Tell that to Anaximenes, Pythagoras, Plato, Aristoteles, Parmenides, Archimedes, Euclid, Hippocrates or any of the others of thosands of scientists that laid the foundations of western scientific thinking long before the story that is the bible was ever made up.

That's one of the most preposterous statements I've ever read. Even for ATS that's damn lame. Your statement is like a testament to the fact that you shouldn't commingle religion and science. Or else you end up with the kind of corrupted statements you just made.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by NichirasuKenshin]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

how do you get
that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy)
from that quote?

I think I got the answer to that one. It's called confirmation bias and people who don't know about science tend to fall for this particular type of fallacy.

If you disregard the concept of critical thinking it isn't all that hard to convince yourself of anything that seems to suit you for the moment.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Another great thread 911stinks. I was going to post same but you beat me to it.

Here were the most interesting facts of the article to me. Truly eye opening:

Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction."

"The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association.

"Those who do not believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God will find many points in this book puzzling," says the introduction to "Biology: Third Edition" from Bob Jones University Press. "This book was not written for them."

Well this article speaks volumes regarding why so many "evangelicals" on this site tout the virtues of home schooling. It explains the who and why of it. So much for kids being well-rounded and exposed to diverse ideas and concepts.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Evolution is a fact.

Your entire post is flawed, for this one simple statement.

I'm not a creationist, and I adhere to the evolution THEORY, personally.
But since there isn't a way to PROVE it without ANY doubt, it is still just that...
A widely accepted THEORY ...

The Theory of Evolution.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by jephers0n]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Another great thread 911stinks. I was going to post same but you beat me to it.

Here were the most interesting facts of the article to me. Truly eye opening:

Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction."

"The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association.

"Those who do not believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God will find many points in this book puzzling," says the introduction to "Biology: Third Edition" from Bob Jones University Press. "This book was not written for them."

Well this article speaks volumes regarding why so many "evangelicals" on this site tout the virtues of home schooling. It explains the who and why of it. So much for kids being well-rounded and exposed to diverse ideas and concepts.

For many years, the bible was taught in schools? When did the jump to evolution occur?
Why are both not taught? Like jephersOn says, evolution is a theory, yet it's taught as fact.

I always get a chuckle how evolutionists explain how the fish walked out of the water, dropped its gills, and got a tan instead of cooking from the heat of the sun.

That alone, would be an act of God.

Not trying to put down evolutionists, just a healthy debate on the differences is always interesting to me.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n
But since there isn't a way to PROVE it without ANY doubt, it is still just that...

So then you must naturally agree that the story in the Bile (Christianity) is also just a theory since there are so many other religions, correct?

BTW, I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I always get a chuckle how evolutionists explain how the fish walked out of the water, dropped its gills, and got a tan instead of cooking from the heat of the sun.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by 911stinks]

You see your saying that totally proves that you have not understood the first thing about evolution. Evolution does not claim that a fish walked out of water and dropped its gills. That is the standard straw man argument created by creationists - and it works ONLY because they can be sure that no creationist will ever truly learn about evolution and be able to see through the fact that Evolution is always misrepresented by creatinonists.

Neither Darwin, nor any other scientist in the field of Biology since at least Lamarck (not even him in the way you imply) has entertained the notion that an individiual fish walked out of the water to become something else within his lifetime. You clearly don't understand evolution.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Evolution is a fact.

Your entire post is flawed, for this one simple statement.

The Theory of Evolution.

So, since the same is true for gravitiy, I take it that you're not bound by it either, right?

Why don't you jump out of your window then? I mean, gravity is only a theory. You should not confine your worldview by believing in theories. Be free. Fly away.

www.bringyou.to...

Think of it. Gravity is only a theory. But they teach our kids like it's a fact? Where will this lead? For god's sake, keep theories out of the classroom.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PookztA

Thats what God fearers have been saying about people for years now. That people still dont believe in God.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join