It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US searching for 'radicalized' Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

US searching for 'radicalized' Americans

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES – The top U.S. diplomat in Pakistan says the Obama administration does not know how many Americans might have disappeared overseas to train with al-Qaida or other terrorist groups.

The number is not thought to be large, but Ambassador to Pakistan Anne Patterson outlined a possible "nightmare scenario" — people holding U.S. passports receiving terrorist training then returning legally to the U.S. to commit violent acts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

She said in a speech Friday to the Pacific Council in Los Angeles that the U.S. is working with Pakistan and other governments to figure out how to identify such people.

She said after the speech "there are more out there than we know about."

Five American Muslims from the Washington, D.C., area were arrested last year in Pakistan, where they face possible terrorism charges.

It is quiet astonishing this news coming out after we witnessed the IRA crash and the pentagon shooting. The point lies where the Govt. thinks one becomes "radicalized"? Does being angry towards government policies count under being radicalized? Does questioning the govt. makes one radicalized?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The more news I see of this kind of stuff the more I think something more is going to be done.

Be ready to shed some more liberties for security.

Now, what politician kept stating over and over the US foreign policies have been breeding this attitude that the terrorists have been saying?

Common sense left Washington a LONG time ago. I am sure I am on some list by now.

But I could care less. Listen to me again gov, leave me the frell alone.

But I doubt there is very many at all that have been training or joining at all. I believe the one's found can be attributed to some very stupid people. Americans, even the latest ones that were probably off their rockers, would not join up with anyone.

The lone gunman looks to be the model that Americans take. Unless of course they are all setups as some have posited.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am definitely radical, have been there and shall likely be there again,
and having seen so0 much of this directly from both sides cannot take either side but
shall continue at liberty to be radical, as all of the best people I've known proved to be!

[edit on 2010/3/6 by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Seems to me our government is creating a new set of terrorist to harm Americans.
Let’s see, could the CIA be behind this event as they are always behind everything else when it comes to training terrorist.
I guess our government are going to try to pass a law that if you disagree with our government, then you are a terrorist.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by impressme]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by impressme

What should be thought is what "steps" will the govt. take to know who agree to disagree with them. Imo therein lies the tricky part.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
don't be delusional about this,
I met American citizen muslims in Seattle that talked about children being trained...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Unfortunately there are always a few people who will take things too far, like going to join a foreign terrorist group and attacking your own country. I highly doubt there are a large number of these people. The fact that they are citizens makes them scary although, the same customs for people coming into the US would be the same for citizens or non citizens. That makes these people traitors but no more scary than a regular non citizen terrorist. More likely this is yet another new group to be afraid of. After all Al Qaeda in Afghanistan is estimated at around 100 people. This does not include other countries but it is a number that is much less intimidating than the underground army of an unknown size that occupied the tunnels in those mountains before we got there. We need a ghost to be afraid of.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We must have too many civil liberties, this will give us a reason to give up a few more.

top topics

join