It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To kill or not to kill, that is the issue.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

As almost everyone here knows murder is wrong! In any instance taking another persons life is simply wrong. Is there really any reason to take another persons life unless to defened yours or another innocent persons? Well every year in USA there are people murdered for something they did years ago, they get an involuntary injection in their arm or ar shocked to death. Simply because 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. Now we all know that the reasons to be put on death row are basically for murdering another person, but should anyone really make the choice of whether or not another person has the right to life? Obviously the criminal didn't but that is because he/she already has a sick dimented mind so to kill that person would be equally as sick and demented from everyone else.

So basically the question is; Is the death penalty unconstitutional? Is the death penalty immoral? And is the death penalty justifiable?

www.usconstitution.net...

[edit on 3/6/10 by Misoir]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Deep waters here, but I will plunge in.

I believe that people who have been murdered require vengeance - both for the soul of that person, and for their family.

But I also believe that no-one has the right to kill anyone else - and that includes execution.

So I am left in a difficult position.

I wonder how many killers are mentally ill - I would think they all are.

In which case, they need help, not execution.

And when it comes to war.....too difficult, except to say that all war is evil and the perpetrators of all wars are evil (or misguided) and that soldiers who are forced to kill are not acting on their own initiative.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well I think death is cruel, but I don't think man killing man as a punishment is unusual.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

All war is evil? Not quite.

Some wars are fought for freedom, nothing evil about that at all.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Yeah, the blame game dose not work. If we judged a country by how it treats its prisoners or wrong doers, every country would be a third world country. Sorry, is a third world*

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Sorry, brain, I still say all wars are evil.

What about the innocents killed in every war?

People should live and let live. I know that is simplistic, given that mankind is warlike.

I just wish it wasn't so.

As I have said before, it seems to me like a cosmic joke.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
No one has the right to judge another persons life, although the criminal has taken a life, then, it would be equal if he had his life taken to.
However, i think torture is a lot more justifiable.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kawacat

Sorry, brain, I still say all wars are evil.

What about the innocents killed in every war?

People should live and let live. I know that is simplistic, given that mankind is warlike.

I just wish it wasn't so.

As I have said before, it seems to me like a cosmic joke.

So those that are oppressed should just suck it up and deal with it instead of fighting for their freedom?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

We are all oppressed.

We are oppressed by our governments, who make ad hoc decisions without consulting the people who elected them.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Some wars are fought for freedom, nothing evil about that at all. Janky Red posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:14 PM

But then why are they fighting for freedom, when they should already be free, Some one evil had to start it, Even though they are fighting for freedom, no, one should have picked on any one from the beginning. Either way there are no excuse's for war, or fighting, mostly every one learned this when they were, young. And if they didn't, isn't that usually the parent(s) Or guardian(s) responsibility to to us this, I have 3 Kids myself, and teach them these thing's, I feel it is my duty too. And should big punishments for starting and fights or wars, But hey what do I know, I am just another human, another little pawn on the chess board
Peace to all that believe in it

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Why is taking a criminals life wrong its someting that has been done for years and years,prisons dont work, well not in the UK, i would rather a real nasty piece of work was executed rather than kept in a cell at he tax payers expense. Or maybe the other way round it is once convicted ask the victims family if they would like the criminal executed or imprisoned.It does seem these days people are getting a touch wetter about human rights and all and i know theres always the arguement of the wrong person being condemned, but to be fair look at how far forensics and investigations methods have changed and improved.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lemywinxs

I think taking any life is not for us to do.

To want retribution is natural, but I don't think we should kill anyone.

As for locking up murderers, I say, do it for life, because whenever a murderer is let out of prison, they reoffend.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I would say this is a tough subject.

One thing I would like to say though, if a rapist, ped, or murderer is caught in the act and one of the victim's family or the victim puts a .45 through the assailants skull-

I vote we give them a medal, and maybe a reward for say $25,000 for saving us money on trial and future prison costs.

And I am not joking.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Look I'm not going to pull punches here...
Go to the national group "Parents of Murdered Children" and ask this same question...9 out 10 ten times they will say the death penalty is not only justified but in many cases the only means to keep repeat offenders from doing it again and again.

So you know just because a felon commits the act of murder doesn't automatically place them on death row often they don't even get life. so what will put you there? the act of raping then murdering an innocent child will. it's rare in these case for the victim to be this persons first. usually it's just another rape but something goes wrong. just like we saw in the recent Calif case. that 17 year old was not his first, just days earlier he attempted to rape another young lady.

the real problem is not putting a convected felon to death, many of them beg for it, afraid they will do it again if released... no the real problem is in the system. once they do receive a death sentence they are automatically placed on appeal so years can pass before they ever get close to death row...

What other option is there? Life... you do know that means maybe twenty years at most... with time off for good behaviour they can be out in less than ten years...at every step of the process one little mistake and a slick lawyer will have them out and back on the streets in the blink of an eye...

So is the death penalty unconstitutional? No... but the system can be cruel to both offender and victim ... Would I like to sit on the jury and make that call is a capatal case... not really no... But when it comes to the man who murdered my own son there is no doubt, he I would gladly drag out onto the street and shoot in the head... probably sleep better afterwards too.
once you live threw it stops being and academic debate
that is real life my friend.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

[edit on 6-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
We should use a guillotine on them in public after letting people stone them to death. Those scumbags don't deserve no rights!

[edit on 3/6/10 by Nightofthehowlingwolf]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

If anyone did anything to my kids, I would be in there murdering them.

And that is exactly where what I would like to believe to be right flies out of the window.

So I can certainly understand retribution.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
When civilization began, mankind realized the horrors of taking away another living being’s life. All living beings have a life. Trees, animals, fishes, insects and human beings.

But our species realized too that they need food to survive. Thus domestication began. Animals were bred solely as a food source, or we will lack the minerals for our survival.

Some civilizations whom advancement was slower, which they remained stuck on the evolutionary stage of living in jungles instead of cities, hunted for animals as a food source. But they did ensured to maintain an ecological balance – never to kill for sport, but only for survival – never to take more than they need or could give, or one day, such food source will end.

As evolved as mankind had been, there were animals of the wild that cannot be domesticated and instead were harmful to mankind. Many a human had been at the mercy of such beasts, which brooked no reason other than to view mankind as a food source once they stepped into the beast’s territory or vicinity.

Such animals will NOT hesitate to kill – man, woman and child. Some of such animals are tigers, lions, snakes, bears, sharks, to name a few. The commonality amongst such categorization of wild beast are that they are merciless killers, brooked no negotiations or compromises and bestowing of merciless death upon humans if chanced upon them.

Mankind had sought to tame them to no avail. Thus, for centuries, when such beasts kill another human – a life for a life is bestowed – the animal is caught and put to death, so that such animals will never again harm another fellow human.

Equally so with humans who murder another human or humans which is not in defence of another. To kill another human for any other reason would be the most evil of all crimes, and the murderer has reverted to his beast state we all once were. He is no longer a member of the human species, but a wild beast. This is no mere willful labeling of someone and then hanging him. His actions bespoke his evolutionary stage.

A civilized society has justice and compassion. But still, such abominable acts cannot be condoned. The beast must be put down once the fair trial is over and found guilty beyond reasonable doubt, so that he may not harm another. It hurts to see another life snuffed out, but that life is no longer human, but a wild beast. May humans treasure life and never go the way the beast.

I humbly apologize to those who fight against the death penalty. I respect their compassion and love for human lives, but those on death row are not humans, only wild beasts through their proven actions. I save my compassion and love for their victims, share the pain with their living loved ones instead.

This is only my personal and insignificant view. But if there are other ways that can fully reform and rehabilate the murderer and bring back to life his innocent victims, I am all for it. Furthermore, I alone don't make the rules. Only civilise society does, of which I will have to respect once that decision is made .

Peace.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
For my part, I think there are simply some people who are not capable of being rehabilitated back into society. In those instances, I have no issue with the death penalty. A person convicted of a particularly heinous crime has, IMO, forfeited all of their rights, including their right to life.

I'll also add that in many ways, I think its much worse to keep a person in a cage for the remainder of their life.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Killing in immediate defense of oneself or another is perfectly acceptable.

Chasing your mugger down to kill him after the fact is not.

Every time the death penalty is used this is in effect what the government is doing. And they arent even the perps victim. It's like some guy across the street seeing you get mugged them chasing the mugger down to kill him.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

join