It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They refused to give me my blood test results

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

They have to give them to you. My guess is that have had some issues with release of information and have a standing order that absent the doctor's orders they are not to release the records. Call the doc and you'll get them

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Actually, I think that's completely backwards. They can only restrict your records if a doctor decides NOT to give them to you, for medical reasons. That's how it reads in my state.

I suggest you go to your state attorney generals website, look for how to file a complaint. They probably have a medical section. You can usually file online, too.

You might also ask a malpractice attorney. They may be more familiar with the legal codes. www.Lawguru.com... let's you ask questions for free.

I was refused records just the other day because I didn't pay a bill. I told them they can't do that and it's extortion. I filed a letter of complaint to their medical records department, recounting what happened and what was said, and put enclosures of local code and HIPAA info/ link , and cc: state attorney general.

The attorney general said they can help with this. We'll see what happens.

I think this is the relevant HIPAA info:

www.lawyersandhipaa.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I actually work in healthcare and you have a right to your records. Actually under HIPAA you own your records. You do not have to have your physician's permission. I would contact the facility you had your blood work done at and ask to speak with their medical record department or HIPAA officer and request your record. You will probably have to sign a release.

I am assuming you spoke with a lab tech who interpreted a protocol not to discuss lab results with patient as you are not allowed to have a copy without physician permission. Discussing results is a gray area which opens up a potential for liability since they are not qualified to interpret the results.

If this doesn't work I would do as another user suggested and contact your state's attorney general office and file a complaint.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

Originally posted by lpowell0627
You guys are missing the clincher here:

It is NOT that you don't have the right to your medical records, but the lab DOES NOT have the right to give them to you directly.

Your doctor ordered the labs. The lab follows the doctor's script. The lab then sends the results to your doctor for analysis. It is then up to your doctor to tell you what the results mean.

This is very similar to not be able to get results from the X-ray tech at the time they do the X-rays. They are not permitted to give you, or analyze, your results. Only the doctor can. This applies to labs as well.

This is absolutely correct. The labs I send tests to are legally bound to ONLY release those results to ME, and then I can release them to the patient/guardian/spouse. This varies somewhat by state, but generally, the lab can only release to the person (MD or NP) who ordered the test.

The labs you send tests to, release those results to you BECAUSE your patients gave you the PERMISSION to see and interpret them.
Wake up doc, you provide medical service, but you don't own your patients nor their test results. You have the permission to see and keep the test results in order to aid the service you provide.

To me, the practice those labs requiring physicians' release form for releasing the results to the patients, looks like their effort to push the liability issue on to the doctors' offices, away from them.

edit on 27-2-2013 by jaeheung because: Quoting the comment I am replying to.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
They probably didn't do the test to save money. Suspicious

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
VERY old thread ... but I'll respond anyways for anyone who is reading.

a reply to: Alethea

I am 100% sure the person who told you that is full of crap.
I have TONS of blood work done. I ALWAYS get a copy.
There is a form you fill out when you get your blood work done.
NO DOCTOR NOTE REQUIRED.
Results will be mailed right to your home.
It's the same result paperwork that the doctor gets.

Because I've had so much blood work done, I have gotten to the point where I can look at my own results and know instantly what is going on .... if my liver is in distress or if my autoimmune is kicking up or whatever. I have copies of all my results.

edit on 5/22/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: frstr8dcitzn
Heres how it was stated to me. Once it leaves your body it is no longer yours. Does not belong to you, it belongs to the doctor who wrote the oder. Frustrated me to no end. I have been seeking the correct guidelines since I am finding that more and more, every phacet of the medical profession is hiding behind the HIPAA Rule.

Seems to me the answer, is if the Doc wants you to have lab work, you go to the lab and order the tests yourself, then bring them to the doc. Big bubbles, No troubles.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Alethea
As just said before me, you have the right to get your results. Experience have tought me that medical personnel often use BS and bogus law to intimidate patients to comply with "theirs" way of doing the "job".

The fact is, whetever the circonstance or institution, nurse and doctor are REQUIRED by law to be member of professionnal orders, and those orders have strict and publicized code of conduct for them, especially when it is time to get informed consent from the patient.

Get a copy of these codes of ethics for doctors and nurses and read them carefully. I have many time made DIRECT threat to medical personels about theirs failure to follows their own code of conducts and making them to remember that they cannot hide behind the institution policies, but will be personnally held responsible for theirs fault before the disciplinary commity of their professionnal order. Keep a calm an authoritative attitude and tone, believe me, it work everytime. The white coats may be harder to put in the right place but the nurse always comply and begin to use a much more civilized tone afterward.

For doctors, if you simply show them that you can understand the technical meaning of what they say, and can react rationnaly and calmly to what they say, they will often tell you whatever you what to hear, but beware of the BS if you have no medical knowledge...

ETA: Important, nurse don't have the permission to explain the results for you, so if you coerce them using the law to give you the results, expect just a photocopy and nothing else!

edit on 2015-5-23 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join