It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl starved to death while parents raised virtual child in online game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Girl starved to death while parents raised virtual child in online game

www.guardian.co.uk

South Korean police have arrested a couple for starving their three-month-old daughter to death while they devoted hours to playing a computer game that involved raising a virtual character of a young girl.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I really don't know what to say. I am shocked and I am not shocked. I can see a parent maybe being a few hours late feeding a child because they are involved in something important...but this child is three months old! They need to eat like every two hours at that age.

How long does it take a three-month old to die from not eating I don't know. If someone didn't feed the child at least a few times in a day that is just wrong...GOD gave woman milk so they could feed their child!

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this. It's good to know that people still care about things like this.

RIP poor little girl.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I dont understand people...even if a parent is to busy for a few hours,you plan ahead...but a small infants,thats just terrible. Obviously they dont deserve the title of parents! True, infants need to eat every few hours, how did they just ignore a screaming helpless baby??? just dont get it...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I remember I got hooked playing the SIMS for a couple of weeks. I was telling my wife about the apartment I made and now am moving into a house, etc. My wife looked at me and said "How about you play house with me!" I had been neglecting her apparently. Games can be addictive. But I just cannot comprehend not feeding a three month old child.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Makes me sick to my stomach.

I can't wrap my head around this...I just don't understand either.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It seems South Korea is a bit soft when it comes to executions. They have not had one since December 30th, 1997.

What a shame.

Oh well! Gotta start somewhere, right?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
stupid dumb idiots.. mom shoulda kept her legs closed and not had a baby.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I really don't know what to say. I am shocked and I am not shocked. I can see a parent maybe being a few hours late feeding a child because they are involved in something important...but this child is three months old! They need to eat like every two hours at that age.

How long does it take a three-month old to die from not eating I don't know. If someone didn't feed the child at least a few times in a day that is just wrong...GOD gave woman milk so they could feed their child!

www.guardian.co.uk

Either that or god wanted this child to die slowly and painfully. Contemplate that one.

But to add to the thread: Messed up world we live in, eh? I'm only 20 years old and some headlines that should shock me just don't anymore. Things like this just aren't as shocking as they would have been 20 years ago.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
How can anyone question that humans are the most intelligent species on the planet? First two parents murder their toddler son, shoot their baby daughter, and kill themselves over global warming, then two parents starve their baby daughter because they were busy raising their virtual child.

This is concrete proof that we are brilliant. Would dolphins ever think to raise a virtual child better than their own? Hell no, because dolphins are stupid and don't have Internet access!

I am concerned about the child though. The virtual one, I mean. Who will feed it while it's parents are in prison?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Wow, it seems like Koreans have a real problem with gaming.

One guy killed his mom for nagging him because he was playing games too much, after he killed her he went to an internet cafe to continue playing.

Another guy died after playing StarCraft for 50 hours straight, he collapsed after suffering a heart attack.

games are fun and all, but this is overly crazy behavior, what the hell is going on in Korea.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Intastellar - S.Korea is the only country in the world (as far as I know) to actually recognise gaming as a legitimate sport. They have professional leagues and clans or teams that have mass followings. They even have their own TV Station for tournaments and the like.

The sponsorship deals are massive too, and come from big corporations like Samsung. While there are a few professional gamers from outside of this small Asian peninsula who travel to compete in tournaments ranging from Starcraft to Counterstrike to Unreal Tournament.

Gaming, it seems is very much a national past time, and it seems is rapidly becoming part of the national identity.

However, it doesn't excuse any of this behaviour! There was another case in the late nineties where an Asian gamer was found dead after feeding himself intravenously for something like 3 months just so he could stay jacked into the online role playing game, Everquest.

Bizarre, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Dont trust the news source my fellow ATS, video games are sure to bound to be used a scapegoats.

raising a virtual character of a young girl

Duh Sims 3

Funny they dont mention the video game name, everytime they come up with these stories, you ATS i am starting not believe the news media anymore.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Guys, this isn't about games or whether to have babies or not. This is about fear and how we react when our lives fall apart. We need to take care of each other and help each other through times like this. If their families and neighbors, former colleagues (since they had both lost their jobs) and anyone else around them had come to their aid instead of abandoning them to that harsh fate, maybe things would have been different.

Have you even thought about what sort of pain those parents must have felt to have a premature infant and no way to care for her? The utter futility they must have felt at their existence must have been totally overwhelming.

Now all around all of us, every moment, we have fellow humans in dire need of love and attention. They don't need to hear how they are failures. They don't need to be killed or further harmed for the cruelties dealt by Fate. Give assistance. Give love and understanding. You too will need it one day.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Dont trust the news source my fellow ATS, video games are sure to bound to be used a scapegoats.

Nothing is being used as a scapegoat. The story clearly sheds a great deal of light on the incompetence of these parents and explains quite clearly that this was neglect.

Unless you have some sort of theory as to what they may have been doing besides playing this video game that you would like to share with the rest of us, I think we will just go ahead and stick with the blatantly obvious one regarding the cause of death of this child.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
An earlier thread on this topic has already been posted. Please contribute further discussion to that thread, located here. Thank You.

Closed.

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

new topics

top topics

join