It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Officer Claims Pressure to Make Arrests( arrest quota's are real!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Check this out! We all knew it and sometimes had a suspicion but here we have an actual officer and recorded dialog to back it up

[edit on 5-3-2010 by alyosha1981]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My cousin is a police officer and I could have told you there was a quote unquote quota.

When you first join the force they want you to be super cop, and expect a set number of traffic violations per month. I think its 9 traffic violations per month for your first year, because they dont want you slacking off.

But the weird thing is, if you have 8 traffic violations and 1 arrest for assault, the assault doesnt count as 1 of the 9, yes it is a worse crime, but there isnt money in that one. So my cousin was talked to by his seargent but his excuse was, if they really want him to sit in his cruiser for 12 hours searching for traffic violations and not real crimes then he said hed do it.

Ive got some funny stories from him. My cousin is one of the good ones for sure.

There was a man suspected of stealing lisence plates, and there was a chase, since it was too busy the chase was called off due to public endangerment, my cousin figured the guy was just ducking somewhere, and he rolled up on him an an alleyway. My cousin got him out of the car and on the ground, then his partner in another cruiser comes running down the alley jumps on the guy and starts kneeing him in the ribs. my cousin pushed the cop off the guy and yells what the # are you doin!?
------
Another funny one, (my cousin was a huge fan of board games when he was a kid) he pulled over a 20 something old for speeding, and the guy was like "will this work? **and handed my cousin a get out of jail free card". My cousin (the police officer) couldnt stop laughing and said, "you know this is only good for 1 turn right?" and let the guy go.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

I agree I come from a long line of LEO'S (myself included) just wanted to give this video up for consumption...some people don't believe "here say"

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I always knew there was a reason why there was week (or so) when the cops can be seen out in full force. I can go through to the end of the month w/o seeing a single cop car and then BAM. End of the month rolls around and I see like 5 different people pulled over in one day and like 20 police cars sitting at speed traps.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is how the beast of a system is designed. When will we wake up and realize most of the problems in society are created top down for control reasons. They turn good officers against the public, and those officers that come into compliance are torturing the citizens. Then we have the citizens blind allegience to the authority. They support the authority and because of this support they are not targeted. Wake up people. This same concept has been brainwashed into society through all angles not limited to political beliefs, religious, educational facilities, and corporations.

Thank god people are speaking out finally. This is one officer I can support...I hope others follow his lead. It's time for this system to be exposed for what it is a BIG LIE.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ya well, they "hide" for the first part of the month and then come out in force the last part, pulling over motorists for the most minor of infractions "fishing' for the bigger arrests. This is common in Denver as I'm sure in other parts of the USA...it's all money money money!

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
oh #, news flash. holy crap. ha ha. im glad he is speaking out. to bad it wont change ANYTHING. only thing that will change our worldwide issues is a reduction in size, with plenty of open minded smart people left. until then, go hard, hate your life, hate those that made it that way, and do whatever you want.

i love how ive been here so long, ive just become absolutely cynical about all this crap. my life on the other hand, im down sometimes, but usually very optimistic. ha ha

until the day i die, no matter how nice they are to me. i will always think of a cop as my enemy, and someone lower then me. i understand why theyre needed, but, well, ugh, thats just a longer more drawn out conversation that i care not about anymore. ive done my time blabbering on the net. its stupid, and wasteful. id rather be drinking.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
You bet there are quota’s, but they are not called that though, as quotas have been judged to be illegal by the federal government.

Instead they now call it a “Logging a busy day”.
If an officer does not log a busy day, and show that they are out performing their duties, they get dinged on their reviews. I have known for years how to spot an officer fishing to fill their “busy day”, and how to avoid being pulled over for nonsense, only to watch some other poor guy next to me get pulled over instead. There are ways to tell when an officer is fishing for a bogus traffic stop, simply to show that they have not been sleeping in their car for the last two hours.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Glad you posted this, there seems to be too much sympathy for the police on here as of late. And lets not forget, they also are there to make sure you have your auto insurance, so who's pocket does that put them in? Sure, some of them might not be what you'd call "crooked," but the whole of what they are supporting is rotten from the inside out, and I have no love for them. Ugh, all this is making me think of the times before I moved when my house would get broken into, by the neighbors, and all the piggys would say is "Oh, I can make a report, that's about it." And don't even TRY calling internal affairs when a cop over steps his bounds... talk about getting harassed.

Edit to add: sorry about the rant, but some of the posts on here got me thinking about how skewed most peoples perspective is on police officers. They are not here to protect and serve you. They do not have to help you if they do not want to, and when you need them to help, you can count on them not wanting to help just then.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by ganja]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ganja

Most police are trying to earn a paycheck. Some actually want to protect the citizens. The biggest corruption in police forces is within the power structure at the top. The officers in the video doing the lecture were threatening the officers with their jobs if they didn't perform. How much pressure do the commanding officers have to perform and make quotas if the politicians are breathing down their necks.

I have sympathy for officers in these kinds of situations. I realize most of the officers enter police work to keep the community safe, and then are indoctrinated with bad ethics. This isn't limited to the police world though, it's rampant throughout a majority of organizations everywhere. In companies bosses threaten jobs of people to turn out numbers constantly. To me it is not right in any circumstance, as it always breads corruption and control in the top. Generally, the people that stick it out end up rising to the top. So our system raises bad apples to the top in almost every facet of society.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I'm not saying they are all "bad apples," but they work for something that I can't get behind. Sure, if they were there to do something other than pad the government and the insurance companies wallets and the occasional real crime *when they have to*, I'd be okay. If they were out after the thieves and killers and rapists, instead of harassing people in the already stressful situation of being in traffic, then maybe people wouldn't see a cop and say "I want nothing to do with THAT."

It's the same as if I went and got a desk job for a higher up in any of the companies in this link:

www.somethingawful.com...

Bayer, Blackwater (or whatever they are called now), etc. I see whats going on, and I say nothing, and do nothing to improve things. Worse yet, not only do I do nothing, I lend my services to this company, thereby helping it screw over others. Though I may be a "good person" as an individual - to my friends, family and neighbors - my actions would undoubtedly deem me less than "good" by means of knowledgeable association.

More clear now?

new topics

top topics

join