It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Army Probes Assaults, Thefts by Soldiers in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In the past few weeks we've seen the prison abuse scandal in Iraq. Now there are reports of assaults and thefts of or on Iraqis committed by U.S. Soldiers. Allegations serious enough to warrant an Investigation....

ABCNEWS.com

The Army is investigating reports of assaults against Iraqi civilians and thefts of their money and jewelry by U.S. troops during patrols, raids and house searches, defense officials said on Monday.

The probe by the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division, or CID, suggests that a major scandal over abuse of Iraqi prisoners by Americans goes beyond detention centers into the homes and streets of the troubled country.
"There are a number of criminal investigations by the Army into allegations of assault, theft and other issues that extend beyond the investigations into activities at detention facilities," Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

"I am not aware whether any of those CID investigations have been concluded," he told Reuters in response to questions about the reported incidents that have drawn angry complaints from Iraqis.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My hope is that these investigations yield nothing and prove to be nothing more than unsubstantiated allegations.

If true it is another page added to the chapter of shame in the book of this Iraq war. I do not make the news I just pass it along and by now the whole world has seen this news and in my view it does great harm to our nation, the many good soldiers we have, and most of all it makes us look like we are the evil ones in this war. I can only imagine how the arab/muslim media is already reporting this.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Wake up people !!!

I'll get upset about some Iraqies jewelry being stolen as soon as every person who was killed in the 911 attacks rises up out of thier graves and returns to thier family. Its a war zone ... to even mention theft of jewelry is inflammatory and serves no purpose. American soldies took a lot of jewelry off of dead germans during World War II

It don't matter what the US does in a Muslim country... good or bad it will be portrayed as bad. So get used to it.... I could care less what they think of this country.

Every country in the world has no problem with American when they are on thier knees begging for food or help of some kind. They are all two faced and will use the United States as long as the United States allows them to do so.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee America. Like they say No good deed goes unpunished. Time for America to pull out totally and let them deal with thier demons themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hopefully it's not true, or else it's the exception rather than the rule. There's no way to condone "Liberators" looting and pillaging and to justify abhorrent behavior with 9/11 is just not going to work. Perhaps people must remember we didn't go to war against Iraqi citizens, but to remove Saddam from power and thus remove the threat against American interests and help stop the day to day terror those people existed in. Regular citizens of Iraq don't deserve that kind of treatment any more than citizens of coalition countries. It's bad business and needs to stop, if it's actually a valid complaint.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   

TextHopefully it's not true, or else it's the exception rather than the rule. There's no way to condone "Liberators" looting and pillaging and to justify abhorrent behavior with 9/11 is just not going

I agree with you 100% stealing from the people in iraq is not good news for US, even if is just propaganda, but I believe it ,I thinks some of our people over in iraq just like some people here will see certain situation to take advantage of it. Some time people don't realize that this is not just going around and breaking into a house and stealing some junk like here common thief do in Iraq anything that involves US is seen as an international incident.

We are in high profile in iraq and the arab world is watching us very closely.

new topics

top topics

join