It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina victims to sue oil companies over global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Hurricane Katrina victims to sue oil companies over global warming

www.te legraph.co.uk

The class action suit brought by residents from southern Mississippi, which was ravaged by hurricane-force winds and driving rains, was first filed just weeks after the August 2005 storm hit.

"The plaintiffs allege that defendants' operation of energy, fossil fuels, and chemical industries in the United States caused the emission of greenhouse gasses that contributed to global warming," say the documents seen by the AFP news agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Now this is interesting.

Personally I can't see it going forward but who knows.

What will be interesting though is if it does will be the legal scrutiny of the proof for and against man made global warming and the big oil companies...most notably Exxon's roll in spreading misinformation for its own gain.

www.te legraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is great...scientists can not agree on Global Warming.

So let's look at this and hypothesize:

25% of scientists think global warming is real

Civil Lawsuits are based on 51% proof

So let's take a 25% opinion put it to the test and create a 51% standard of proof.

Either way I think this will be dismissed. They will argue it to the supreme court, and lose on merits alone.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I don't know where you get your numbers...the majority of scientists believe global warming is caused by man.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Oh gee

Sigh

Let me guess

the Usual Suspects initiated this action ? (using Anglicised surnames)

and will represent the plaintiffs ? (and will take any monies gained in claimed 'administration', 'photocopying costs' and 'legal representation')

Surprise

not

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Anything that sorts out the hockum from the facts is a good thing in my mind.

Going to court over such a thing is going to be a massive undertaking.

You will have those who will have to provide enough evidence for the action.. and of course there will be the others who will be doing their hardest to defend against it.

With all the outcry on man made global warming, this surely must be a case to follow.

If we are casuing it, then the oil companies in particular have a lot to answer for.. also all the motorsports owners/organisers for not stopping motor racing, all the airline for not reducing flights, all the car owners for not car sharing and all the bus companies for competing against each other to get the public to use the busses.. This is going to be one heck of an argument.

I can just see all those people at the 'top' looking down and shuddering with fear at those who are attempting to sue.

Imagine having to organise all the global data into one cour tcase to prove or disprove man made global warming..

Wow...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Whatever happens it will be ugly.

I know there are some lounge lizard type lawyers that are just licking their whiskers over this.

Still while it will most likely be thrown out...then again given the amount of evidence regarding Exxon's disinformation campaigns, it may not...

either way it will be interesting too.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Just another waste of ink on the docket. Gotta love our judicial system. Just goes to show that I may have a case against a neighboring dairy farm for fouling up my precious air.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The oil companies were in support of man-made 'global warming'

I posted the information in ATS a month or so ago

If I can be bothered, I'll find it and post it again later

Do lawyers really 'oppose' ?

LOL

No. Very often, they're hand in glove

I see this action as being a conspiracy to be used to bolster 'man made global warming'

to the benefit of TPTB

who are salivating in anticipation of the financial windfall they'll enjoy at the population's expense

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea. If they win, all of the residents affected will get about $75 each, their trial lawyers will each get $100 million and the rest of us will foot the bill at the gas pump after the oil companies raise prices to cover their losses.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This stupid case will get thrown out with the dishwater. Right now science can't even come together to decide whether global warming is really man-made or in fact just cyclical, natural occurrences that Earth goes through.

And even if you do somehow prove that it's man-made, good luck proving that the oil and gas industry is the sole cause of it all.

I say "meh".

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Great the best thing that could happen to kill global warming..

Just Subpoena Al Gore and the rest of the leading global warming scientist.

I would love to see what they claim or do not claim under oath in a witness stand and how it does not match what they say in public.

This would be the trial of the century.

if the lie they could go to jail and if they tell the truth they would have to explain there public lies.

To this point the global warmers have never allowed debate or questioned under oath.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
that's the end of man made global warming then...
think about it.

if the largest companies in the world are made to account for global warming, then i imagine man made global warming will fall off the agenda and lips of most world governments...
gone.
what did you say?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
wow this is great news as i was thinking of suing my local church because god made satan and he made me do bad things...
hundred thousand billion would be enough to make me happy....

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
obama would give these people money since he thinks everyone who questions GW is mental disturbed

but the reality is that we dont have a consensus in the scientific community so, we really cant say anything for sure

we need to study and debate these problems more and stop trying to make GW a conspiracy, because, at this moment, thats what obama is doing, because of his ignorance

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

I don't know where you get your numbers...the majority of scientists believe global warming is caused by man.

Ummmmmm. Where do you get your numbers. PLease provide a source or don't state an opinion as fact.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sure, they can get the money, once they prove they never used oil or petrol products (like...plastic) in their life.

some people are just moronic.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
hey maybe they are on to something there

lets all sue the suger producers for making our teeth bad
or alcohol producers for making all the alcoholics .
these cases may be moronic and stupid but the poor lawyers need to make a living .

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

Is this an intentional lie on your part? Who exactly are this majority or are you simply regurgitating the main stream rhetoric. Do you have anything to support this position? Maybe some sort of poll where a few hundred thousand scientists were asked their opinion on the matter?

This suit is a joke and it should be treated as such by being laughed out of court. What next, are they going to emulate Billy Connelly and sue god?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

they should also be sueing Farmers who bread catle and so on
as thats causing more C02 and Cows and so on give off methane gas and so on
which factors into it.

Nature naturaly causes emmisions but Farms have made that double as agriculture expands to feed more and more people.

also they should sue carpenters as they cut down trees.

list goes on.

new topics

top topics

join