It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algorian Logic - New scientific Term

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Algorian Logic

A reasoning technique that entails reaching a conclusion about a subject in which one has no expertise and subsequently finding or creating factoids to support the conclusion without using critical thinking skills or research to discern the obvious impossibility of the facts or the conclusion.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
For examples, please see "George Bush on WMD in Iraq".

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
hahaha if thats the case, I would say roughly 1/3rd of all threads here on ATS are based on Algorian Logic, haha

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
definitely not a bad idea,

but define 'obvious impossiblity' for me. or at least a situational example

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjack
Algorian Logic

A reasoning technique that entails reaching a conclusion about a subject in which one has no expertise and subsequently finding or creating factoids to support the conclusion without using critical thinking skills or research to discern the obvious impossibility of the facts or the conclusion.

Fascinating. Science has now developed it's own term for bulls---ting

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
hahaha if thats the case, I would say roughly 1/3rd of all threads here on ATS are based on Algorian Logic, haha

I think you're being generous. I'd say about 65%.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

I'll give two examples:

1)Global warming will make polar bears go extinct. Polar bear population has increased 5 fold during the recent warming. Obvious impossibility that an increasing population does not portend extinction.

2) Government run healthcare will save money. Obvious impossibility.
Government has never reduced the cost of anything, adding 30,000,000 people to healthcare coverage will reduce costs.

Nevertheless the Algorian Logic should be amended to:

Algorian Logic

A reasoning technique that entails reaching a conclusion about a subject in which one has no expertise and subsequently finding or creating factoids to support the supposition without using critical thinking skills or research to discern the obvious implausibility of the facts or the conclusion.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ALBERT EINSTEIN

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjack
A reasoning technique that entails reaching a conclusion about a subject in which one has no expertise and subsequently finding or creating factoids to support the supposition without using critical thinking skills or research to discern the obvious implausibility of the facts or the conclusion.

well, seeing as you bought it up, may i ask what your level of expertise in climatology, polar bear population density, general calculation of extinction risk, actuary risk to price level assessment as related to health insurance, the impact of government regulation on price levels and the calculation of statistical possibilities is?

then, would you mind outlining the critical thinking and reasearch you you have conducted in order to reach your conclusions.

i wouldn't accuse you of reaching a conclusion about the veracity of Al Gores claims and then looking for factoids to support your position but...........

[edit on 7/3/10 by pieman]

new topics

top topics

join