It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what if we had a 7.0 + earthquake in the USA?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Will it still be considered normal or average earthquake patterns when a huge quake hits The USA or is that what its gonna take in order to open our eyes that there is more to all the recent activity then media hype and what is accepted to be just normal.
I am old enough to know that i can say i do not ever remember there ever being so many quakes.
If this is an average year then why do i remember last year as being alot more quiet then this current year wich has only just begun.??
Be Well

Sorry if there is already a thread regarding this forum moderators.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is the way I look at it and no offence to anyone at all. But we are sending alot of our money and recourses over to those countries, helping those countries out that had the earthquakes. BUT if WE had an earthquake, who would come to our aid? No one. And with all the money being sent to the other countries (WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHERE THIS MONEY IS COMING FROM and how americans can afford it) then will we have the money to fic our own country if a big enough earthquake happens here?

And no, I mean I am only 20 years old, but seeing all these earthquakes is scary to me.

I had to get that off my chest. Seemed like a good thread to put it in

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

hate to burst your bubble, but earthquakes are COMPLETELY NORMAL

it happens, its nature, just like anything else that is natural

just cause there are more sometimes than not doesnt mean anything

they come and go and we live with them, etc

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I guess we have to wait for the 10.10 off the coast of LOS ANGELS CAUSING A MAGA TSUNAMI ON THE WEST COAST TO wake people up smh.....

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well being on the west coast, right on top of the Juan de Fuca plate. I am going to remain worried, and not just brush this off as normal activity. They can never predict them, but have been saying for years the pacific northwest is long overdue.

I for one live down stream from a hydro dam and am contimplating throwing a dingy on the roof and loading up on water wings. Just dont trust that dam.

My thoughts though are if we had a large earthguake, here in Vancouver where I reside there would be catastophic damage, so many old highrises mixed with new glass highrises. Bridges and other outdated major infastructure. Two major watersheds in fairly dense areas, with dams headin them up.

The question remains whos left to help us? As a previous poster stated we send help to the world, but who else would magically make money to help us. Back East of both countries would mobilize but where would cash aid come from to rebuild. I feel we would probably be hung out to dry. And based on models that have been constructed by experts, we are too have one hell of an eartquake here.

So as I said earlier, I'm going to stay prepared, watch the USGS website for kicks, stay informed and if I hear that air raid siren from the Dam after a lil shake I'm going for a swim.

Lets hope not, but at least I have the wareabouts to think ahead. LoL

Take it easy
SaneThinking

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So far we are still having a normal number of earthquakes. People are just noticing more because a large earthquake occurred right on the heels of the tragedy in Haiti. However, every year we have at least one 8.0+ earthquake. In fact in 2007 we had four, yet people didn't seem concerned about that.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

In the Earth's timeline, one human lifespan is a blink of an eye. So to you it may seem like a lot of activity. But considering the Earth is billions of years old, you are a nano second in it's history. So while there seem to be an unusual amount of events to you, the Earth may be having a completely normal event.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
yes we are a spec in history of the planet yes earthquakes happen and yes there is more media coverage however it certainly seems that earthquakes are stronger and have happened in close conjunction with one another
My common sense ometer is saying there more and bigger to come SOON
Just my two
Be Well

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
A quick 5 second Google search will show you the 7.0's in recent American history. It wasn't that long ago in 2001 that we had a 6.8 here in Seattle (almost a 7.0). As I sit here at my desk at work I can still see the crack in the wall less than 5 feet from me from that quake. It was an exciting 30ish seconds, but not that big of a deal. Globally, earthquakes are a daily occurrance so nothing really out of the ordinary. I wouldn't be too worried.

Nixie - I love your avatar!
One of the best shows on TV right now.

edited for spelling

[edit on 5-3-2010 by tallcool1]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Gotta love homer
Be Well Freind

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It would look just like this

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There was a 7.9 in this state in 2002

The epicenter was probably around 200 miles from my city, but it still felt awesome/big, and a lot of people told me it was pandemonium in stores with stuff falling off the ceilings, isles spilling, etc...

My highschool at the time and a few other prominent buildings had new cracks running through them at some point.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I still get a chuckle about the quake in San Francisco in October of 1989. I was picking up an engineer from California at the airport in Jacksonville, FL. As we were driving to his hotel, he was telling me about the quake. His plane had just taken off when it hit. He called home and made sure his family was ok, they lived outside the affected area. He was telling me how lucky he was to have missed the quake. About that time I started laughing. He asked what was so funny? I told him that we expected Hurricane Hugo to make landfall in a couple of hours and his hotel was on Jacksonville Beach.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I was watching the game on TV when it happened...
Didn't much care about the quake was pissed the game was called off...

but the next day when we finally saw the pictures...I still remember the freeway that sandwiched the cars...

[edit on 5-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sadly, we really have no concreate idea of what the "normal" is over a long peroid of time.

We have, only in the last, say 15 years at best, had a ways to get news around hte globe in the same day, let alone, more recently, within hours or minutes of the events.

As we are becoming more of a global communication world, the faster we will hear about bad things happening.

But, I must er on the side of caution, and say anything is possible. and the devil is in the details, details we do not have accurate measure of.

Just be prepared, and vigilant.. That is all any of us can do, for almost anything.. Be vigilant and ready.

Peace,

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Cygnis]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I still get a chuckle about the quake in San Francisco in October of 1989. I was picking up an engineer from California at the airport in Jacksonville, FL. As we were driving to his hotel, he was telling me about the quake. His plane had just taken off when it hit. He called home and made sure his family was ok, they lived outside the affected area. He was telling me how lucky he was to have missed the quake. About that time I started laughing. He asked what was so funny? I told him that we expected Hurricane Hugo to make landfall in a couple of hours and his hotel was on Jacksonville Beach.

Creepy enough, I had been in California, on that very higheway, just 1 week prior to that earthquake..

It was VERY sobering..

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It all depends on where the quake hits.

If it hits the California region, most of the damage and shakes will be localized to a few hundred square miles.

If it hits along the New Madrid Fault or the Wabash Fault zone in the Midwest (along the Mississippi River, between Missouri and Tennessee Kentucky for New Madrid Fault and between Southern Illinois and Indiana and northern Kentucky for the Wabash Fault), well, it will be a VERY bad day for us Midwesterners.

For one thing, the whole area consists of dense rigid bedrock topped with sediments and sedimentary rocks, which can magnify the shakes as well as carry the shaking for hundreds of miles away without diminishing too much in intensity. When the New Madrid had its last powerful quake (mag. 8) in 1811-1812 the quake actually rang the church bells in Boston, Mass., 1,000 miles away! This little map shows the area that was affected during a "smaller" quake in 1895:

Believe me, a quake anywhere around here will make San Francisco's quake look like a mouse fart.

In 2008 we had a 5.4 Mag. quake on the Wabash fault zone. It was felt as far north as UP Michigan, as far west as Nebraska, as far east as West Virginia, and as far south as Atlanta

I recall a few years ago, in 2004 we had a smaller quake in LaSalle County, which is west of Chicago about 80 miles. It was a 4.2 Mag. Being in Chicago, I felt it like a large heavy truck driving by my house, but lasting for about 5-8 seconds and actually knocking over some stuff on my desk and actually banging my bookshelf agianst the wall. That got my attention. Mind you this was a 4.2, what they call a no-biggie in California. Well they sure felt it all over the place.

You can read up more about it on the USGS sites, as well as Wikipedia!

quake.wr.usgs.gov...
news.aol.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

All in all, it would make for a very interesting catastrophie that will dwarf Cali's "Big One".

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Consider Katrina and New Orleans. If a big quake hit a highly populated area, it would be a huge disaster. Remember that their is only about 3 days food in any city. If roads go down, electricity and water get disrupted, medical help isn't available, etc. It could be really bleak. If you add a tsunami, and then a lot of red tape, it could be horrible.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
and here it is again yet another fairly large earthquake in Turkey my mind is made up there is definately a connection and progression involving the earths activity both weather and geological ...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
the old saying just cause i m paranoid doesnt mean their not out to get me comes to mind this string of quakes and other activity cant possibly be considered a normal pattern what ever that is. the earth is clearly on the move.
i had for a bit thought that the paranoia was getting to me but there is definately something brewing under foot i am anticipating a major event for the USA just waiting to see how big it will be.

Be Well

top topics

<<   2 >>

join