It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite Iraqi elections, some things still won't change!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Greetings ATS. Election time for the people of Iraq is in full swing and continue to lure voters to the polls even as I write this. With every election comes the promises that are always said to occur but never come true because of certain setbacks but if there is one thing that I have learned from my constant arrival to this side of the world is that politicians always make promises that they cannot keep like improving the economy or providing more jobs to the local nationals but no matter what part of Iraq your in there will always be this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cda3e77a997.jpg[/atsimg]

The poor and the neglected always rummage through garbage to find something of use because their government still does not provide enough jobs for everyone. It seems like the only jobs that are available are contracts to build more bases for the military.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64cc7c9a9dcf.jpg[/atsimg]

This kind of reminds me of the united states and how someday most of us will share the same fate as these Iraqis if something is not done in the future. How long can we continue this course of action that our government takes before we share the same fate as these Iraqis? I guess in the end there is something that we all have in common in the end of it all

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5ba7ebdf6ba.jpg[/atsimg]

Although thanks to this site we have breaken away from being mindless sheeple, there are still millions if not billions that are still ignorant about the workings of TPTB and life around us. Iraqis have it the worst since a majority of them are illiterate and are easily brainwashed from the propaganda that has been tricked out by us and msm. In the end it really doesn't matter who the new president will be when we leave this country, they will still be dumpster divers and live very inane lives as so will the rest of the world if we do not take peaceful or non peaceful action.

Never again will I ever come back to this country of Iraq for all I see here is the result of lust for power and greed for resources. Elections will always be rigged and never play in favor of the people but for corporate interests.The world would be better off if the United States of america never meddled in the affairs of other countries and focused on the people instead of their fat paychecks. TPTB can kiss my

Mods forgive me if this is in the wrong forum and move if needed.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Do you guys remember the first elections after Saddam's disposal? I think back on how everyone was excited to vote, Voting turn out was good and very few suicide bombings.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Do you guys remember the first elections after Saddam's disposal? I think back on how everyone was excited to vote, Voting turn out was good and very few suicide bombings.

Although suicide bombings is at an all time low where im at, "steel rain" is still an occurance even during election times. I remember the elections of 04 in old baqubah and am amazed on how many voters appear. They want to make a difference but still don't know how to make it happen.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

It's a difficult process and Al-Queda reminds of how the Ku Klux Klan after the U.S Civil War didn't let many voters vote for Republican politicians.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

It's a difficult process and Al-Queda reminds of how the Ku Klux Klan after the U.S Civil War didn't let many voters vote for Republican politicians.

Heh, Stop loss , see many Al Qaeda in Iraq lately?

Or ever ?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

They have some type of terrorist groups in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Heh, Stop loss , see many Al Qaeda in Iraq lately?

Or ever ?

Not a single one in sight
. However as stated above we get plenty of "steel rain" and can't seem to ever find them before we get blown. Almost makes me think that we don't want to find them so they can commence bombing but then I just be paranoid as hell.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

always make promises that they cannot keep like improving the economy or providing more jobs to the local nationals but no matter what part of Iraq your in there will always be this.

One's trash is somebody's else treasure.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from a country that is trying to get back in order after a war.

In order to create jobs, they have to produce something that other people want. More importantly, they have to have investors to finance those businesses.

I think many investors are cautious about investing in a business that might be blown up the next day. Even though Iraq is calmer, there is still instability in Iraq.

The pictures give the impression we should feel sorry for those folks for having to rummage through trash, but you could take a pic like that in the US too. People really do throw away things that other people can still use. The picture really doesn't tell me if these people are really in need or not IMO.

Every spring, I clean up and pile all my trash(dressers, old beds, lumber, etc.) so the city can pick it up. Surprisingly, by the time the city comes, most of it has already been picked up by strangers.

This kind of reminds me of the united states and how someday most of us will share the same fate as these Iraqis if something is not done in the future.

Compared to other countries like Somalia, Iraq isn't do too bad for itself.

As for the US, I agree that we need to do something about where we are headed.

The world would be better off if the United States of america never meddled in the affairs of other countries and focused on the people instead of their fat paychecks.

This is one of those we will never know. Easy to say, but can't be proven.

Take care and be careful.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

always make promises that they cannot keep like improving the economy or providing more jobs to the local nationals but no matter what part of Iraq your in there will always be this.

One's trash is somebody's else treasure.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from a country that is trying to get back in order after a war.

In order to create jobs, they have to produce something that other people want. More importantly, they have to have investors to finance those businesses.

I think many investors are cautious about investing in a business that might be blown up the next day. Even though Iraq is calmer, there is still instability in Iraq.

The pictures give the impression we should feel sorry for those folks for having to rummage through trash, but you could take a pic like that in the US too. People really do throw away things that other people can still use. The picture really doesn't tell me if these people are really in need or not IMO.

Every spring, I clean up and pile all my trash(dressers, old beds, lumber, etc.) so the city can pick it up. Surprisingly, by the time the city comes, most of it has already been picked up by strangers.

This kind of reminds me of the united states and how someday most of us will share the same fate as these Iraqis if something is not done in the future.

Compared to other countries like Somalia, Iraq isn't do too bad for itself.

As for the US, I agree that we need to do something about where we are headed.

The world would be better off if the United States of america never meddled in the affairs of other countries and focused on the people instead of their fat paychecks.

This is one of those we will never know. Easy to say, but can't be proven.

Take care and be careful.

Its true that someone's trash can be another persons treasure but how long must this third world country have to live like saddams era when its been nearly a decade since we took over this part of the middle east? The amount in spending here is just insane and hardly any of it goes directly to the people but instead for roads that are easy to transport materials and not other certain streets that lead to residential areas. Also thanks for wishing me safe passage for this deployment and maybe next month I finally go back to the states and see what has changed dramatically.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

More accurately, a country that was tricked into invading Kuwait, punished with sanctions for years that had killed over half a million children by the time Madeleine Allbright said "it's worth it" (killing all those kids), endured a bombing campaign targeting its infrastructure in defiance of the Geneva Conventions, and then a "shock and awe" invasion... and then the asset-stripping from US corporations from Monsanto to Texaco.

It's worth noting that even through the worst of it, Saddam managed to keep his people fed, something the US and its puppet government seem singularly unable to do. But that's "free-market" economics for ya.

Oh, they've got something that others want. Oil. And they now have the US corps sitting on their heads gouging profits. Like Monsanto ensuring, through Iraqi law, that, Iraqi farmers have to buy their seeds every year.

And by investors, you mean "usurers". I've been reading Ezra Pound's Cantos recently, and that's pretty interesting. The subject of usury comes up a lot....

The pictures give the impression we should feel sorry for those folks for having to rummage through trash, but you could take a pic like that in the US too.

But I thought the US was the greatest freakin' country in the world! So many US posters say so, it must be true, surely?

People really do throw away things that other people can still use. The picture really doesn't tell me if these people are really in need or not IMO.

There's a lot of sand in Iraq for you to keep your head in.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
Its true that someone's trash can be another persons treasure but how long must this third world country have to live like saddams era when its been nearly a decade since we took over this part of the middle east?

Stop-loss, I like your posts and it's a shame you're leaving ATS... but it's worth noting that "Saddam's era" extends back to a time when he was using his country's oil wealth to help his people - a crime that Chavez is currently guilty of, hence all the vitriol. Back in the days before war became kind of a way of life for the hapless Iraqis, Iraq had the best education and lowest mortality rate of any country in the ME.

And, yes, safe home, mate.

new topics

top topics

join