It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious snake appears on old painting of Queen Elizabeth I

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

www.niburu.nl

A mysterious image of a coiled snake has appeared in a portrait of Queen Elizabeth I, the National Portrait Gallery said today.

The serpent was depicted being clasped in the Tudor monarch's fingers in the original version of the work - but it was painted over at the last minute and replaced with a more decorative, if rather oddly shaped, bunch of roses.

Deterioration over time has meant the snake has revealed itself once more, with its outline now visible on the surface.

i.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

A mysterious image of a coiled snake has appeared in a portrait of Queen Elizabeth I, the National Portrait Gallery said today.

The serpent was depicted being clasped in the Tudor monarch's fingers in the original version of the work - but it was painted over at the last minute and replaced with a more decorative, if rather oddly shaped, bunch of roses.

Deterioration over time has meant the snake has revealed itself once more, with its outline now visible on the surface.
A mysterious image of a coiled snake has appeared in a 16th century portrait of Queen Elizabeth I

Revealed once more: The image of a snake has appeared in a 16th century portrait of Queen Elizabeth I. A faint outline of the coils can be seen superimposed on her hand, while the serpent's body, - seen as dark shading - follows the line of the flowers she is holding and also passes beneath her fingers

The portrait was created by an unknown artist in the 1580s or early 1590s.

The image has not been on display at the London gallery since 1921 but it will form part of an exhibition titled Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I, from March 13 to September 26.

A serpent was sometimes used to reflect wisdom, prudence and reasoned judgment, but the scaly creatures are also linked to notions of Satan and original sin.

The gallery suggested the snake's removal may have been due to the ambiguity of the emblem.

An artist's impression has been created of what the snake could have looked like, with infra-red technology revealing the changes in the initial design.
Queen Elizabeth I Queen Elizabeth I

What lay beneath: An artist's impression of what the snake may have looked like, left, and an infra-red image of the altered design. A serpent was sometimes used to reflect wisdom but they are also linked to notions of Satan and original sin

A statement from the gallery said: 'The snake is mainly black but has greenish blue scales and was almost certainly painted from imagination.'

Tarnya Cooper, curator of 16th century paintings at the gallery, said the snake is a unique attribute in portraits of the queen.

'The portrait of Elizabeth I with a hidden serpent is a really unusual survival. Yet it is difficult to know exactly why the serpent may have been originally included, or how common this motif might have been.

'The queen certainly owned jewellery and costume including emblems of serpents, which were probably understood as a symbol of wisdom.

'However, no other portrait of Elizabeth appears to depict her holding a snake.'

The image of the monarch clutching the serpent/flowers covers a portrait of another woman, whose identity is unknown.

X-ray photography showed a female head facing in the opposite direction and in a higher position than the queen.

The eyes and nose of the first face are visible where paint has been lost from Elizabeth's forehead.

The gallery believes the unfinished portrait was by a different painter, showing how 16th century panels were sometimes recycled by artists.

The unknown woman appears to have been wearing a French hood, fashionable in 1570-1580s, suggesting that there may have been a few years before the panel was re-used for the portrait of Elizabeth I.

For me its more proof that these are signs that they are reptilians.

www.niburu.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MrOrange82

First up:

This is the source The Queen's loyal serpent: 400 years on, a painted-over snake reappears on portrait of Elizabeth I

And not Niburu.nl....

And second:

You quoted the entire article!! No need to visit the link because you copy-pasted the entire article in here...

Great story non the less...

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
lol hardly mysterious as they already gave the explanation as to why the snake was there...so why is it mysterious???

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Niburu.nl is just the site where i found the article. It has nothing to do with it.
Sorry for misleading

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

No biggie, i just seems fair to give credits to the people who created the article instead of a website showing the article.

And here on ATS we have the rule to not quote more then 10 to 15% of the article. Just for your own safety, i guess...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Interesting she is holding a serpent to her heart... oh and that she has a 5 o'clock shadow

In my neck of woods around that time there where still reports of dragons and serpents, so guess painting out the serpent might have been seen as as a good idea at the time...

very interesting tho

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Okay may be this is just me, but I'm completely wasted at the moment and that curve looks nothing significantly like a snake. And besides, if the painting was just painted over by a better artist who bought the used canvas to use it... what's the point?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

For me its more proof that these are signs that they are reptilians.

Wow, David Icke nutters are taking it to the limits of bullsh*tland. Now a painting of a woman from UK royal family, handling a snake is conclusive proof they are shapeshifting reptilians.
I just wonder WHY Icke and the notorious magnificent former Illuminati spy, Arizona Wilder, didn't provide nor a single pic or video disclosing a human turning into a reptile humanoid. Misinfo sweet misinfo...
Anunnaki are NOT reptilians. Sumerians NEVER said they are. These reptile tall humanoids reported by the Hopis, Nagas and Dogons, most likely are genetically engineered creatures, just as the primate homo-sapiens. They are NOT the Anunnaki, they are their toys, just like us and I really doubt they can turn into humans. It's plausibe they are connected with European royal families and US government, sharing interests that concern the maintenance of the balance of power, sharing ancient wisdom, stuffs like that. I may be wrong, but until the day I see someone turning into a snake humanoid, I'm still regarding David Icke followers, DISINFORMERS. Probably they are Illuminati spreading a fear propaganda. Masses are more easily controlled through their irrational fears. If you see someone talking with a reptile creature and showing intimacy, you surely will think it's one of them.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Wow, she was a homely queen, wasn't she? No offense to the British members. Yeah, she looks like a guy. Nice strong chin.

Yes, you could say that this is more proof of evidence of signs of the possibility that they are reptilian.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Now the reptilian believers will go nuts more than they already are.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Wow, she was a homely queen, wasn't she? No offense to the British members. Yeah, she looks like a guy. Nice strong chin.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e148fc86ed21.jpeg[/atsimg]

Offending the British royal family??? You gotta be kidding me... anybody else has noticed a very suggestive goatee beard shade in her face??? Wow, I really hope the life of the dude that painted this portrait, wasn't depending on the final result.

Now occurred me the "snake" in her hands, may be suggesting hidden details of her anatomy... Hermaphrodite maybe... If my hint is correct, whoever was the artist that painted it, I'm 100% sure it was his last work on Earth.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Seriously? They actually give you the reason and it is still a sign of our Reptillian overlords?
The painting degrades so far to the point where you can see the original painting underneath, something that happens quite often and its regarded as proof?
lol, no wonder this crowd are so highly thought of.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
that is whacked out on wowey sauce!

Pehaps it shows the true nature of our history..... bite, poison, dead! Yay!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Yikes! Now I know why they called her "The virgin Queen"!

I wouldn't touch her with yours! Woof!

As for the David Icke Bovine Excretia... Well, you people obviously don't know your history or your symbology

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
That's not a portrait of Queen Elizabeth.
That's Christopher Walken.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
That's not a portrait of Queen Elizabeth.
That's Christopher Walken.

Bloody Hell!!! You're right!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
A number of comments on the dailymail point to the animal being a slow worm and not a snake.

It looks like a slow worm to me as well.

Anyone else?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Dont you think the head of the snake looks like a T-Rex.
It has the body of a snake, the head of a T-Rex, so its a Slow Worm:roll
obviously)

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I think the queen looks more like Rob Schneider. See for yourself.

images.absolutenow.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join