It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Parishioners Clash Over Gay Rights

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
KrazyJethro

That may be true but people like this change the rules and even if they are meddlesome they are good for society in a way, they make things happen even if we hate them now we will thank them later, plus they make history.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
1) I don't understand why so many Gay people are so damn persistent about being welcomed in somewhere where they aren't wanted, nor have they ever been welcome there. Especially when the 'Group' they are trying to mingle with are a bunch of Self-Righteous, Brainwashed, Finger Pointing, Hypocritical, A-Holes! I mean it's not like they're trying to get in to a diner or club or gym or something and being told to go away. Most people are thankful when they are allowed to live without some Religious Cult getting in the way, yet these people are just begging to have someone treat them like crap, I don't get it.

2) What they need to do, Gay people that is, IMO is start up their own damn church and religious order. Build a HUGE temple as close as possible to the churches that shunned them originally. Paint it all Rainbow colors or whatever they want(even if it's just to piss off the other church) and make it into the most hip, kickin', funnest, welcoming, non-judgemental Church in the history of Organized Religions. Soon they'll be such a major organization with so many members they can do whatever they want and if anyone else (Catholics or whoever) complains, they can tell them to shut the hell up and back to their own temple and cry about it over there.

It's not like it takes some real Credible Source of Divinity to whip up your own Religion nowadays anyway. Everyone from Sci-Fi writers to Introverted Psychopaths have gathered up a healthy group of lost sheep over the past few years, so I have no doubt that just a tiny section of the Gay community could bust out with one hell of a Religion in no time.

Seeking a personal connection with you spiritual source, whatever that may be, only to get passed by, harrassed, or shunned by some Self Proclaimed Spokesperson/Retailer of God & God's Word, is not something to get upset about. It is something to laugh at if nothing else, knowing full well that if God is truely a just God in any way, he'll be anxiously awaiting the entire staff of that BackAssWard Church with a God-Sized Paddle ready for each one of them upon their arrival at the Gates to Heaven.

EDIT: I just noticed my bad spelling in that post. Like 'funnest' for example. But guess what, I ain't changing it, so what do ya think about that!!

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by mOjOm]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
But, people also must understand that this is the Church. The Church is stubborn and everyone knows this.

Faisca, you make a very good point and although I agree with your post, I think the above statement is incorrect. Why is the Church stubborn? The Church publicly stated that it does not agree with the ACT of homosexuality.

I emphasize act for all the people on this board who seem to believe that the Catholic church condems the person who is a homosexual. This is not true. The Church condems the act of homosexuality, which it considers a sin. This is normal, as the church condems all sin.

What the Catholic church does teach is love towards the those who are gay, just as it teaches love towards all other people on this planet. Gays are not excluded and they are not less loved by God. However, gays are expected to follow the same rules as every other Catholic. That seems pretty fair to me.

Now, no one is forced to believe that the act of homosexuality is a sin. If you choose to, fine. If not, fine. But why should the Church change its stance just because certain people disagree with its stance? If you are outside of the Church, then it really isn't an issue because the Church is not forcing you to become a member and the Church is not forcing its views on you.

If you are a member of the Church, then voice your disapproval. However, don't be surprised when the Catholic church doesn't just turn right around and change all of its views for you. If you want to be a member of something, you've got to play by the rules or work through the proper channels to change those rules.

As I said before, Faisca makes a very good point in her response. But I think the stubborn comment is the problem with all the responses in this thread. Maybe we are the ones who are stubborn. Not every organization is going to agree with everything we think. If you don't agree with a certain organization, that is fine. But don't expect 2000 years of tradition to change just because some activists are looking for attention.

If anything, I applaud the Catholic church for sticking to its beliefs and enforcing its rules within its own membership. This is critical at a time when alot of people are indifferent about everything, and personal beliefs change depending on what the television tells us....

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
BlackOps13-I agree with you completely on this. It's the Catholics choice to dictate their terms of worthiness to receive communion. But like I posted earlier, it's their funeral.

The church has issued all sorts of dispensation over the years to adulterers (which is actually a commandment), to priests who abuse children, misuse their authority, etc. If they hold to their current stand, there will be a large exodus of members to other christian churches.

How truly sad it is that only the rank and file members of the Church are held to these standards, while those with influence are given free pass.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
BlackOps, maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but I agree with you 100% about how Christianity condemns the act and not the people. The only reason I said the Church is stubborn is because it is, it does not change easily. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, I just said that because that's the way it is and these gays wearing sashes shouldn't expect to be equal in a place or religion that condemns their way of life.

Oh, by the way, just to clear everything up. I'm a he not a she. Faisca is a nickname I have from my martial art style, Capoeira. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think you've brought up some really good points, bleys. Individuals within the church have made alot of mistakes over the years. The Catholic church, much like any other organization, has had corrupt members at different levels within its ranks. These members have done things that have brought shame to the church and fed fuel to the fire of those who ridicule the church and its teachings.

I think that the dispensations you speak of are not really dispensations, but instead forgiveness. If a homosexual repents of his sins, then he would also be given the same forgiveness. For that matter, all sinners are given forgiveness when we repent for our sins, no matter what our sexual preference.

I won't lie and say that I believe all of those people that you mention were truly sorry for their sins, or that none of them were given a dispensation, but I guess it comes down to the old arguement of whether or not you are going to let a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch. I think that the church as a whole (worldwide) does a pretty good job of making the rules apply the same to everyone.

And I do agree with you completely that this stance may cause the church to lose members. However, I feel that it will also help to strengthen its members who truly believe the church's teachings when they see the church stick to those teachings, even through adversity.

One final note, your rank and file comment at the end was dead-on. But I don't think that it is so much a church problem as it is a human problem. Think about it. If I got pulled over for a traffic ticket, would I get that ticket if I was 1) a factory worker 2) and NBA superstar 3) the mayor of my town. While it is a problem, for the church, giving privelege to the influential permeates our entire human race. That doesn't make it correct, but I don't think it is a behavior that we will see changing anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
BlackOps, maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but I agree with you 100% about how Christianity condemns the act and not the people. The only reason I said the Church is stubborn is because it is, it does not change easily. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, I just said that because that's the way it is and these gays wearing sashes shouldn't expect to be equal in a place or religion that condemns their way of life.

Oh, by the way, just to clear everything up. I'm a he not a she. Faisca is a nickname I have from my martial art style, Capoeira. Sorry for the confusion.

Faisca, sorry for the confusion but that's my bad. I wasn't clear enough. I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to use your statement as an example of problems I see with other people's replies. I just kinda used you as a springboard to get on my soapbox
Please don't take offense to that. anyway, after this reply, I see you point about the stubborness. That makes sense to me, so I guess we agree all around!

One other thing, sorry about the gender mix up. I'm writing this from work and that is where I get all my sleep
I miss details here and there...sorry!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
No offense taken BlackOps, I'm glad we agree =)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join