It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Goon: The Internet is Dangerous – Tax It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

A top Microsoft executive on Tuesday suggested a broad Internet tax to help defray the costs associated with computer security breaches and vast Internet attacks, according to reports. Speaking at a security conference in San Francisco, Microsoft Vice President for Trustworthy Computing Scott Charney pitched the Web usage fee as one way to subsidize efforts to combat emerging cyber threats — a costly venture, he said, but one that had vast community benefits. “You could say it’s a public safety issue and do it with general taxation,” Charney noted.

cryptogon.com...

Public safety issue? That's all we need, more taxes, because more government control always leads to great things....not! Yea the government will keep your computer safe, that's where I put my trust.

Leave the internet alone Microsoft, government, or who ever wants to mess with it! It should be free and unhampered, uncensored, a tax will not do anything as far as public safety goes. Common sense and a good understanding of networking would be much more effective. Why not educate the public?

[edit on 4-3-2010 by oconnection]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Security. Pffft.

We all know where this is going to go.

Control.

Tax, ISP rate increases, you know they are starting to pass laws now requiring ISP's to keep track of everywhere that the specific IP's go?

It is coming folks, the only true bastion of Free Speech must be Controlled.

S&F for finding another link or proof they are coming up with ideas on the control.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The internet is the wild west and that's part of the reason why I like it. The rebellious attitude, someone says you can't do something, just to spite the powers that be, some 12 year old kid finds a way to circumvent that control.

I feel that this will be fought in more ways that we can understand. Control the internet, bah. Can you tame a wild beast?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

A lot of people like us here will be able to circumnavigate the control parameters.

I can see that, but this is more of the making something to expensive to afford. That is one of the ways things are controlled. Make it too expensive for the little guy.

Like I said, the ISP's are going to be mandated to keep track of things which will increase costs, hence higher connection fees. Then they will tax numerous things in regards to the web. I can see huge sections of the net beginning to charge for access.

Eh, maybe it is just me.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I can see where costs go up when more strain of monitoring goes to the isp. But control of access? I personally find it funny, especially with the wide spread pirates of the internet that they think they can control the flow of information. I personally would encourage this. I can see small communities forming their own networks, essentially by passing any expensive model.

This reminds me of a movie called the Boat that Rocked, about radio in Britain in the 60s where rock music was only allowed for 1 hour. What evolved from this excessive control was pirate radio. Perhaps what will come from excessive taxation and control is a brand of pirate internet. I'd like to see them control that. =0

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ya I get to pay even more money for the crappy and not to mention expensive satellite Internet I already have. Wasn't the Internet meant to be free?

I guess its kinda like what happened to the library system Franklin wanted to be able to go in get a book or anything else with out having to pay a fee, sign up, or be tracked on what you are reading so they know what you're thinking.

It will be the exact same with the Internet with patriot act and what not.

People deny but the know what ever you are doing on the web as soon as you do it the same as the NSA call monitoring center and the radio listening posts where the keep logs of every truckers conversation or ham radio user.

Even on this great site ATS is meant to be anonymous right but if you think that you can put something on here that they really didn't like they could snatch you up in a heart beat... and I know for an absolute fact the NSA and FBI read ever major post on this site the same as every other.

sorry got a bit off topic and a bit on a rant...

well peace

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
How about we don't tax the internet and Microsoft (one of the most successful companies in the history of the world) just spend a few of their billions on quality programing that does not have easily exploitable security holes.

I'd settle for them producing an OS that does not require DOS in order to function. Heck, that might head them in the right direction. At least think about just how freaking vulnerable the system registry is to having a couple characters changed with ease versus the continued function of a system.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Ahabstar]

top topics

join