It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American college kids PULL YOUR..........

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by captaintyinknots

but it's just like the standard of living in the US that has been propped up by people using their houses as an ATM machine. It's changing and going to have to drop before we can rebuild our economy again. A lot of people aren't going to like it. Well sorry......somethings need to be torn down before they can be rebuilt. Higher education is similar. And I can't say higher education is really turning out overly intelligent, independent thinking young Americans. Quite the opposite. Even advanced professionals like doctors are being brainwashed and indoctrinated to fit into a corporate mold and are usually discouraged from thinking outside the box.

Some things do need to be torn down before they are rebuilt.

however, you dont tear them down without a proper plan to rebuild them.

Its easy to run around and say "it's broken it's broken the sky is falling". The real question is what is your idea for how to fix it?

The education system absolutely does indoctrinate people. There are also MANY who benefit greatly from going to college.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by OnceReturned

Dude are you paying attention??????? THERE ARE NO JOBS! Our entire economy has dried up. What are you talking about? You act as if all college kids nowadays are getting their Phd's in engineering going on to find the next scientific breakthrough that will change the world. Quite the opposite. The average college kid graduates with thousands of dollars in loans while barely being able to find a job that pays $35K a year all the while coveting that oh so worthwhile psychology, communications, marketing degree. Look at how many lawyers have been produced in the last 35 years. It's crazy. The entire profession of law has been watered down. Also you act like college kids are only smart and intelligent because they go to college. what a crock of crap. College kids are A LOT dumber than their grandparents as far as basic math skills and science, and lets not even talk about history. And the funny thing is their grandparents paid 1/4 of what kids are paying nowadays for their college education. The entire education system in this country both K-12 and higher education is a money pit.

Colleges are producing workers............they aren't creating jobs. What are all these workers going to do? Especially when our corporations are selling American workers out left and right?

There are NO jobs? Really? I think you might want to check again.

I cant help but think you are someone frustrated by his position in ife at the moment and is looking for someone to blame....

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

No. When jobs are in short supply to people who are best qualified will get them. Even when they are great supply this is the case. Educated people are percieved as better candidates to virtually every job. Our grandparents payed 1/4 what we do for college because 60 years ago the dollar was worth four times as much. Increased earning potential more than makes up for student loans; that is why people agree to take on the debt.

Edit to add: There are jobs. The vast majority of Americans are employed. The reason that jobs are outsourced to other countries is because unskilled labor is cheaper over seas. That is more of a reason to become skilled, not less of a reason.

[edit on 3/4/10 by OnceReturned]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think that people can legitimately complain that the educated class that dominated Wall Street and Washington first made the mortgage mess and then railroaded through a bailout in which a transfer of wealth from main street to Wall Street was marketed as a benefit to main street. The educated class is losing the respect of the rest of America for reasons that are well deserved.

Harvard types believe that they are smarter than markets. And, at this moment in history, the Harvard narrative is that the financial crisis was caused because of blind faith in markets regulating themselves. According to this narrative, the election was a mandate to Harvard to deal with huge market failures in finance, health care, aggregate demand (hence the stimulus), and climate/energy. Based on this narrative, Harvard is absolutely committed to expert control over the economy

That certainly sounds like the status of "Harvard types" - people educated at the best American universities - is inflated, and being furiously inflated further. These are the people who, in practice, rule the world. What if the bubble pops and their status quickly sinks to the level of, say, computer programmers before bottoming out? I'd say "sinks to the level of fry cooks", but that would just be wishful thinking on my part...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

No my position in life is great. I'm an RN and have a secure job making great money. That's not the point. I'm an American first. And I care about my country and my fellow Americans. And these young college kids are begging a corrupt and tyrannical government and monetary system for help when it's that exact system that is responsible for the plight they find themselves in today. That's why nothing ever changes in this country. The government has made everyone reliant on them for everything.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Ummmm last time I checked engineering and computer jobs aren't exactly "unskilled". Are they not being outsourced as well?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

No my position in life is great. I'm an RN and have a secure job making great money. That's not the point. I'm an American first. And I care about my country and my fellow Americans. And these young college kids are begging a corrupt and tyrannical government and monetary system for help when it's that exact system that is responsible for the plight they find themselves in today. That's why nothing ever changes in this country. The government has made everyone reliant on them for everything.

So, you would say that you benefitted from your higher level education?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Ummmm last time I checked engineering and computer jobs aren't exactly "unskilled". Are they not being outsourced as well?

Are you blaming outsourcing on the higher education system asw well?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yes but I also paid for it. And I also received 3/4 of my education at the community college level. And I chose a career most college kids would see as being beneath them.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

No I'm saying government and corporations have been selling out the American people for the last 50 years. Yet keep supporting both of them through our wallet and our taxes.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Yes but I also paid for it. And I also received 3/4 of my education at the community college level. And I chose a career most college kids would see as being beneath them.

You certainly do generalize a lot. You cannot possibly claim that you know what 'most kids' are thinking or doing.

So, you paid for it. How did you pay for it, if you dont mind me asking?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I graduated high school at 18 years old. I graduated college at 28. You do the math. That's ten years of working menial $10/hr jobs saving and paying for one class at a time. And yes I do have debt. But it's private debt and I'm paying back every penny plus interest. No free money or government subsidized loans here buddy. And I wipe ass for a living see more pain and suffering in a 12 hour shift than most people see in their entire lives.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
About 4 years ago, I made the conscious choice (in my 30's) to go back to college, and finish my degrees. Last month, I just completed my Masters (MBA)...

I shudder to think of what kind of job I would have been stuck with, without the Bachelor's degree I had when I got my current one though..

And it's more than a piece of paper. Without that schooling, I wouldn't know the things I really need to know. For example, I can't count how many times terms such as Gantt Charts or Regression Analysis has come up lately in my workplace, and I'm glad to be able to show my education in knowing such things...reinforces to my team that they hired the right guy.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Gazrok]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join