It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The spectacular Severn Bore,a tidal bore in Gloucestershire, UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
TIDAL WAVE! Tsunamis, such as the one spawned by the recent 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile, are often mistakenly called "tidal waves." In fact, tides and tsunamis have little to do with one another. One is caused by the gravitational pull of the sun and moon; the other is caused by the rumbling geology of our own planet.

"On March 2nd we experienced a 'five star' tidal bore on the river Severn," reports photographer Jamie Cooper. "It was caused by a large spring tide combined with the funneling effect of the Severn Estuary. There was a carnival atmosphere with hundreds of spectators watching and surfers risking life and limb to ride the wave! News organizations covered the event extensively."

"This is all a result of the sun and moon, of course, so I hope it qualifies as space weather." Indeed, responds the editor, space weather reaches even into the rivers of England

spaceweather.com...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The tidal bore in Upper Cook Inlet, Alaska

A tidal bore (or just bore, or aegir) is a tidal phenomenon in which the leading edge of the incoming tide forms a wave (or waves) of water that travel up a river or narrow bay against the direction of the current. As such, it is a true tidal wave (not to be confused with a tsunami).

Pretty neat stuff, I must admit this is the first time I have heard of anything like this. Looks like somebody is having fun anyway, crazy people lol.

Mods please move if not in the appropriate forum.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by NotAgain]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Its a strange and remarkable event! Almost like clock work. If i could swim, and if i could surf id ride this wave!
There was a report on the news of how a surfer, rode this wave 6 mile's up the river!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Surfer I would just love to do it on a rubber dingy

Some pretty neat footage of previous waves on YouTube, this is the first time I have heard of this. Thought the event would get more coverage, or maybe I just missed it.

None the less though I will defo be going to the next one it looks so much fun.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
it kind of reminds me of them surfing in apocalypse now, haha. Id love to hit that on my wakeboard! If this a semi occurring event? or is it a one time thing? If I remember correctly the same kind of thing happens twice a year on the amazon river.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

I have a Skateboard will that work

Yes it really looks fun, but there is one thing I am scared of "Fish" as soon as one touched my leg I would drowned from shock. I know people will say they are probably more scared than me, TRUST ME... no they are not, the only remember their fears for 5 seconds.

Knowing my luck anyway I would get the only stray Shark right under me, or get caught up in a shopping trolley or something.

My advice if you want to Surf, don't do it in a river in England.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by NotAgain]

top topics

join