It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An appeal from a cop...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

I think you have a fairy tale idea about communities.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I would rather be confronted by Thugs , than by Cops

Again I find little testimonials like this to be hardly the truth.
That isn't to say it does n't happen I also know it does. Most of the time
people bring it on themselves. That's my experience and if it were any different I'd be happier than shizzle to say so.

If you get beat up by the cops there is a reason. As in something you did.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

If you want to be believed as being sincere:

1. Stop covering up for every cop who violates his oath. It happens routinely and EVERY SINGLE time, other cops will cover it up unless and only unless there is obvious public evidence that shows the misconduct. The definition of character is what one does when no one else is looking, not just when one of their brothers in blue gets caught red handed. Cops who violate the law MUST be given sentences 2x that which is given to a non cop because they are the ones who are supposed to be enforcing the rules; they have an extra burden.

2. Stop turning local cops into gangs of paramilitary forces. Put them back on their beats in local communities on foot so they can get to know the citizens.

3. Demand that cops actually smile at other people. Every drive around looking like a civilian then making eye contact with a cop in another car? They will glare at you and in general act like the bullies I believe they provably are.

4. Stop warrantless stops and searches. Not so long ago the American public never would have tolerated that. n fact, when I was a kid I remember the "stop, may I see your papers" line considered a hallmark of a fascist police state. Now it is routine in the U.S. and citizens can't do a thing about it.

5. Stop the practice of beating people when you arrest them. No matter the infraction, cops go violent quick using the excuse that it reduces their risk. So mothers and unthreatening people get forced roughly to the ground, often with knees in the back.

6. Stop driving like f'ing lunatics even with your sirens off. Stop acting like the rules you pull us over for do not apply to you. I could not begin to count how many times I have seen cops run read lights, cruise through stop signs and drive way over the speed limit. I have lived in six states and this behavior is routine among police.

7. End the "bad ass" culture among cops. Enforce a strict code of service. Kick out the macho jerks who get off playing tough guy and acting above the law.

Until these things are done, stop your whining about people labeling cops with a broad brush as thugs. That reputation did not happen overnight or by accident. I happened because cops allowed it to happen. I'm ex-military and a big dude, but I have real integrity and a respect for others that are not like me. I also have 2 duaghters and the only people I'd not support my daughters dating would be a cop or a politician unless I spent lots of time with them and was satisfied that they were the exception to the thug rule.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

And you want to be forgiven when this was your boss?

Live and learn People.....

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

There's something bothering me how the role of urban Policing has changed, yea know People see the Police these days as not representing them but the Government's an Multinational Corporations! everytime the People Protest the Police give them a hard time with there intimidating Black uniforms. they treat them like Animals young an old! but what really gets me is this, when the cause is a just one an you know it as an informed Human Being, why would you or any other Cop's follow an order to attack the very People who are trying to right that injustice? it has a ring to it that sounds like im only follwing orders.Peace

[edit on 4-3-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I worked at a restaurant once and it was the worst job I've ever held. I was miserable. That doesn't make every restaurant terrible. Maybe that is a bad comparison but it all comes down to (you make stereotypes). people like you are sad. People like you lump all priests in the "pedophile" category. People like you lump all large people as "lazy." People like you make false assumptions because you are not intelligent enough to realize that all people are not the same. If you actually took a step back and realized what you are saying you might realize how ridiculous it is.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

The only reason police are necessary at all is because of the government issued gun reduction plans. The notion that we Americans need anyone to protect us is a true indicator of just how lost this once great civilization is.
This society has been conditioned over the last hundred years to fear every form of government enforcer. Increasingly so in the last twenty years via TV shows like C.O.P.S., "World's Wildest Police Chases", and every other variation. We are routinely conditioned to think that anyone with a gun is automatically a bad person and should be disarmed by the nearest government enforcer.

The end result of this is a society wandering about in fear. Fear that we will be the victim of some criminal. We are forced then to rely on government issued "Protectors" who just by virtue of who employs them can never protect anyone but the government they serve.

At the moment we as a society have the largest per capita prison population in the world. The vast majority of those prisoners are locked up for violating laws that are unconstitutional. This alone reduces the nobility that you so eagerly adorn yourself with. How can we respect the iron first of a tyrannical government? How can we respect the nitpickers who seek the next promotion by racking up as many tickets as possible... rarely based on a real infraction?

So no, I do not respect your profession. I do not respect those who enforce illegal laws without question. I do not respect the ongoing militarization of local, state, and federal enforcers. I do not respect the increasing authority police acquire every day.

I do respect you for coming here to spell out your concerns as it will finally give you the chance to have a discussion with someone without the ability to arrest them for not agreeing with you.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
We are inundated by bad examples everywhere we look. It's not just the police or military - but, PEOPLE from every walk of life.

Here is the kicker though and this is what might help law enforcement to better understand the growing resentment. If a civilian goes whacko and starts beating people, we can act in self-defense. If a police officer gets perturbed and goes for his tazer... or club... or whatever... we can't. If someone exercises their right to peaceably assemble and then wants to leave because the police are moving in... but can't... like the Pittsburgh situation, or G-20 in England back in April, and things *like that*... we just... what? Let ourselves get hit?

This is what we are scared of - and what we revile - someone who has a badge and are under orders to proceed in a manner contrary to what the law and common sense would allow. We would hope that law enforcement would stand up and say, "Well, sorry Captain (G-20 Organizer, or whoever) we can't do that."

Checking ID because someone - thousands of someones - attended a rally, because they were upset with bankers getting bailed? Figure if there are a few thousand police they can probably take care of a handful of troublemakers and maybe let the rest of the people co-exist reasonably peacefully without firing teargas or using noise systems (ala psyops).

On the face of it, I do think most law enforcement personnel are good people. Maybe even the vast majority. But, different government agencies, and even private security firms, are being provided police-like powers without police-like training and accountability. We can start with TSA.

Can go further and in different directions like no longer needing reasonable cause, just "mere suspicion" to inspect, search or detain someone; especially if they ask a question.

No.. Until law enforcement bucks up and starts standing up for what they know to be reasonable, right... and at least HALF-American, we can still throw our words, our thoughts, feelings and anger - at an entire career field. This is not the first post on this issue on ATS, probably won't be the last, so we can guess that our war of words is having at least some effect; at least someone is listening... obviously the politicians are not.

Thing is... this is all we really have left to push law enforcement back. We don't have faith in the criminal system - hard to believe we can incarcerate 1 million people and still not have the crime rate go down. Crime is big business though. Lots of jobs depend upon it. It is doubtful we can afford another 1 million unemployed felons on the streets. Difficult to have faith in law enforcement policing themselves... when we can look at lawyers, doctors, and politicians and see that for the most part, they all stick together... just like we do and did in the military. Yes, am prior service, too. Sometimes discipline works, sometimes it doesn't - but where government is concerned... we NEED EXAMPLES to believe you. Otherwise, it is one of those "too big to fail" and "jobs, foreclosures, and bankruptcies are all trailing indicators of an improving economy - THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER - See!?"

Maybe, one day when you start arresting people for their words - because they upset you...or someone else in your department, or a politician, maybe then law enforcement will stop and say, "Well... that's not right."

So - that's my rant. I don't hate cops or the military... at all, love em, but - we can all take a look around and see a lot of things just are not right. And, we're just shy of being able to do nothing about them.

Words can sting just like rubber bullets though.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

My bet is that you are a pretty white girl.
reply to post by whaaa

Would you like to discuss the issue at hand, or call names?

Seriously. Maybe its because I live in a small town. But our community doesn't have the problems I've seen posted on ATS. Not to say those problems are faked in anyway. I don't remember the poster's name, but he had a story about an aquaintance being brutalized by the police. I believe him, and I think those police officers should pay for their crime. And any officers who were complacent in covering it up should pay.

But to paint every police officer with the same brush? Sorry. Won't do.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
alot of people here on ats talk like cops are the bad guys, but without cops what would happen? riots in the streets people breasking in your home and killing you for your VCR (just an example)
my dad is a cop of the OPP and i am VERY proud of him, he has put alot of bad guys away in jail and has never been mean or even rude to anyone, always happy and poliet.

So for you paranoid compicary freaks out there who think everyone is an enemy, go outside, get fresh air hang out with friends, not everyone is bad, and not everyone is good.

And for those who dont take thier meds to "to keep thier brain from being controller" go back on your meds its not mind control, its meds to help you think clearly, cause i've heard alot of #ed up # on this site from differnt members. not everyone si a bad guy and not EVERY conpircacy you hear is true get over yoursevles

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If policing is to be IMPROVED, then one thing is for certain. Yeah, you need to be physically fit and able to make basic decisions to get the job. I just did some research and in some cases you don't even need college or university to be a cop. Are you kidding me? Most of the tests only quiz you on addition subtraction multiplication and dividing. Want a better police force? Don't allow dumbasses with 50 in math into your police force. Raise the bar, all you really need is a high school diploma in some cases. That's crazyness.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'm ex-military so I feel for ya, but suck it up and quit cryin about it.
Lets face it, it comes with the territory, get thick skin or get out. Go sell
sell doughnuts or something. Law enforcment is supposed to represent
the best of us, so when there is corruption you will be punished far worse
in the eyes of the people. Deal with it, I did.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by colt122

So got more videos? Wanna compare that to the stats I posted earlier?

Yeah it sucks if those are all true. Again how do those compare against the 22.3 millions calls a year? Like I said even a million calls a year that are evil cops mean that 99.6% of the calls are just fine and frankly I have yet to see people come up with 1 million bad cop videos

Like I said if those are true I feel for them but let's compare the calls that are good....oh that's right America only takes notice if you mess up

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

You seem to have a lot of time as a supervisor in a police agency... What cop would want to miss an awesome day of crackin' skulls?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Live and learn People.....
reply to post by pajoly

Well that's really dramatic. You want to prove how corrupt police dept's
are. Have you seen the movie Changling Anjolina Jolie true story.. L.A. police
corruption it's been their from the beginning and it will always be
there. That's how it has alway's been. Dalles yep. Chicago yep. thoughs are the ones I
can say for sure. Would it be any different if you were a cop.
Not. Maybe if you were running things. Not! People love to point their G.D. fingers as if their better.

You hate cops. Fine. I hate finger pointers. now what?

You seem to have a lot of time as a supervisor in a police agency... What cop would want to miss an awesome day of crackin' skulls?

Classic troll right here.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

"Would you say America is a police state?"

Is there anyone who can seriously say we are not? Just dare to be critical to a cop if no one else is around. There is ZERO doubt you will end up being roughed up by a gang of cops. Americans are deathly afraid of their cops because the local police are above the law.

I do believe FBI and the Secret Service have a MUCH higher standard and I've seen it in action, but local cops, forget it, they are the most dangerous gangs in America because they have the cover of legal authority.

This is why in some countries there are no local cops, all cops are federal, because these smarter western societies know poorly paid, gun carrying narcisists are a menace to society.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hugs for the cop

I am glad to see that people like the OP try to reach others through open communication. This is the way to remove preconceptions and misunderstandings.

A definition of intelligence: Ability to differentiate. Should be a mandatory requirement before being given the right to judge others

A law enforcement officer receives power through his position and there will always be individuals in any profession who will abuse this. So members of a group a must make sure that the foul apples are corrected or removed from post.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
www.stanfordalumni.org...

There is a wonderful Russian story that takes place at the gates of heaven, where the newly arrived are judged. A dead murderer is on trial, fresh from earth where he was shot by the police after his umpteenth murder, the strangling of an elderly woman for her money. A panel of deceased judges sirs in session. And where does God fit on the scene? Not as a judge, but as a required character witness. At some point in the proceedings, he shambles in, sits in a magisterial decrepitude born of the weight of infinite knowledge, and in a meandering, avuncular way, does his best to defend and explain the man--"He was always kind to animals. He was very upset when he lost his favorite top when he was a small boy." ("My red top, you know about my red top!?!" The murderer leaps up, suddenly awash in a torrent memory. "Of course I do. It rolled down the storm drain on Zlotny Street. It's still down there," God answers with complete, affectless knowing.) Finally, the judges tire of God, who is in fact tiresome in his knowledge and forgiveness, and coax him off the stand.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
//quote// blanket characterization of law enforcement officers as monsters, thugs, fascists, etc, etc… //

I agree wholeheartedly. There was a time as a youngster when I believed that "cops are our friends" but those days are long gone, not because I've changed, but because clearly cops are not your friend.

That's what I've taught my children and they have no trouble seeing the truth in that statement as so few cops we meet have any integrity at all by human standards.

Does the poster want to pretend otherwise? Then clean up your own ranks, stop bullying honest people, stop illegal searches, start being human beings, and most of all, clean the scum out of your own ranks of which I, and many others, would say its filled with them.

My brother is a cop in Las Vegas. When he was a kid he pulled wings off flies and tortured small animals. Perfect cop material I suppose. Not only that, he had as a child significant psychological problems including bed wetting. As did most of his fellow pigs.

I have personal knowledge of dozens and dozens of police abuse of authority and know that my brother and his friends care nothing about Constitutional rights AND would never turn in (or even confront) a fellow pig about these things.

I wouldn't trust him, or them; and I don't.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Brown Bear]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just want to say, most people on this site who are aware of the goings on aren't that stupid.

The main point is, the u.s. government wouldn't be housing, and training foreign armies in montana or where ever, if they thought the police would do what they wanted. We here at ATS know most cops wouldn't do what they wanted you to do, you'd just pack up your family and protect them as well.

Some police officers are criminals, so are some bankers, some lawyers, some doctors, or whoever.

If you need to talk, let me know. It's a crazy world out there, mama knows.

The problem I have with the police, isn't even a problem with the police, it's the government. The police are asked to do way too much. The funny thing is, they know that already as well.

Look, you know your constitution, right. It's not the governments job to tell us as citizens what we can and can't put in our body. They aren't allowed.

Take steroids for example. The government can't tell us that we can't use them, but your employer legally could. If you were a baseball player, the MLBA could make in a rule that they couldn't be used and you would be banned or finedif you did, not the government. If you were a cop your precinct or state law enforcement could say you couldn't, not the government.

The problem is most laws are illegal, and so are most amendments. Most laws break the law, and it's baffling to most. Why don't they know their constitution?

Here is a great example.
John ? McCains' new law. It's illegal. Borderline Treasonist. They aren't allowed to do that.

www.blacklistednews.com...

I don't what else I should say, the law is tricky and the police know it. Most people think the police are on their side, and get mad at them when things like this aren't handled by them.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join