learn more

An appeal from a cop...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

I can agree with this, but here is where I find problems. You suggest things that others can do, but what do police need to do to take responsibility? When the police already have the mentality that "I'm a cop and all cops are brothers", and follow this warped way of thinking, it creates situations where the public is harmed and ends up feeling as if police are not doing there job. So forget about the court system and forget about corrections. What can the law enforcement side of our criminal justice system do to bridge the gap between officer and citizen?

BTW, have you ever seen the video where an ex law enforcement officer goes into like 20+ different police departments to request a form to file a complaint?

[edit on 4-3-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i respect those who respect me.

with that being said, i can say with my own experience that i have seen on both sides the good and bad.

i know cops from my town, and most of them are alright guys. even in my small town they get shot at and have to deal with raving lunatics. i get that.

i have also seen the bad. when i was a kid (19) i was at some friends house for a little while, and when we left, 6 cops pulled up and blocked us (2 of my other friends) in the apartment complex parking lot. the cops claimed they were researching a breaking and entering and wanted to know what we were doing there. we said hanging out with friends. one of the cops thought it would be a good trick to say i had glass on the back of my legs, like i had even done anything. they put me in handcuffs and labeled me prime suspect for the intrusion. if they were watching the place if they claimed, then they would have known i was there for only 30 minutes and seen where i had come from. but of course, they searched me against my will and put me in the car after finding a little bit of weed (i was young and dumb, but not a buglar).

my friend admitted that he had some alcohol, but blew a 0.0 and then he was in the car with me. they then went in the house and got the guy who got them alcohol. i even heard a cop say that he could smell the alcohol on his breath. if he could, then how come the breathalyzer didnt? more lies.

i know what we were doing was a little wrong, but i have seen first hand that the cops can and will make things up to make a score.

i doubt there was even a robbery there, and its more probable they were watching my friends house. i didnt know the people there very well, but i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

i have seen other things which make me question the police, but i have also met some very nice people.

its pretty much flip a coin to see what reaction you will get. and thats what scares people.

dont like it, make the cops stop being unprofessional. in their line of work, nothing less should be accepted.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

Bravo! Far and away most cops are wonderful people that put their pants on one leg at a time and (potentially) put their lives on the line simultaneously. I'll just reiterate for the last time, however, that this is a profession where a bad cop or cops amplifies their malfeasance due to the nature of their chosen vocation. I wish there was more of an effort from within the profession to weed the bad ones out instead of protecting them (see Toronto police force and also Julian Fantino of the RCMP)

Jason

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Which attack comment are you referring to?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

It would be nice to have the power back in the people's hands where it should be. All I can say is it's hard to figure out where to start change because everything is so stacked upon itself. The law makers are protected by the very laws they make and the enforcers are bound by those laws just like those who don't enforce.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JWH44
reply to post by randyvs

Therefore, I think it is necessary to provide a counterpoint in response to some of the more outlandish statements that are made by the few.

........while not discounting the factual ones. ....sir

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'll stick up for the police.

A mate of mine who plays football is a policeman, very decent guy. I have come across a number of policemen, all decent and indeed one particular guy couldn't do enough to help you.

Police have bad days, sometimes make the wrong calls but they are human - and I generally support the idea that they are decent guys who do a very hard job.

I think there is another point here replace polices with teenagers, Moslems or any other group that people comment on without actually knowing them - suddenly the opinions become completely out of context based on the small number of TV incidence that they see (Which by the way focusses on the baddies in any such group - compare the air play to a copper doing something heroic to a bent copper!! ).

We have to talk to each other to see that we are all the same

link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by JWH44

Nice attack comment there. You are slipping there and showing the mentality that power creates.

reply to post by Everwatcher33

That is the mentality of let us say 80% of the country now. The government is run for the elite, by the elite and now being enforced by the elite(cops).

People just cannot see the forest through the trees. Cops and government are becoming the jackboots, just like in the good old USSR.

WHERE ARE YOUR PAPERS?!

I agree, the biggest part of the problem are the number of laws that have to be enforced...when did it become necessary to place 50,000 laws (made it up, but you get the picture) to govern the people of this country?

[edit on 3/4/2010 by Everwatcher33]

link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I genuinely respect your words.

And if I ever contributed to the ignorance inherent in generalizing about law enforcement I sincerely apologize.

If there is one thing that is certain in this world it's that we are all individuals and we are free to conduct ourselves as we determine is appropriate.

I concur that many here are unusually zealous about disparaging those who wear a badge of authority. Some of it I attribute to simple immaturity and misplaced angst. Some, perhaps, is ideological; which is another story entirely.

Me, I just miss the good old days when peace officers could spend their entire careers without ever engaging in, or having to confront personal violence for its own sake; and certainly never being so stoked and 'strack' that pulling a weapon makes their day.

Of course some of this could be a result of media allure (they love scary/sad/horrific news in the editors' room) or skewed training perspectives. But in the end, we all share the burden of creating our reality, and maligning people for the sake of 'group think' is a distraction we can hardly afford.

Right on and well said.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

I am going to postulate several things here and I would like you try to prove any of it wrong.

1 People are beginning to REALLY detest government at large due to its actions to try and control every aspect of society, hence leading to the hate for LEO's, the enforcement wing of said government.

2 Us civilians, the way you folk like to refer to us, have NO right to tell you LEO's that you should be held to a higher standard than ourselves. Because we (civilians) do not walk in your shoes.

3 True Criminals, ones where there is an ACTUAL victim, are being released to make room for STATUTE BREAKERS that have HARMED NO ONE.

4 LEO's want the ability to have more rights than average citizens, because of their positions of SUPPOSEDLY more dangerous jobs.

I could go on, but I will leave you with this.

When a society is governed by a TYRANNICAL government, that believes citizens do not know what is best for themselves and will pass any and all legislation to make said citizens SLAVES to the bureaucracy, when do the PRISON GUARDS realize they are ALSO PRISONERS in the same society?

Or are they JUST as thick as the elite's they follow?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well I think you mean well, and made a valiant effort, you need to realize that you're not going to find any sympathy here.

Most people that visit ATS want to discuss the fallacies of the current system; one of those fallacies being law enforcement. To be blunt, most cops are not good cops. They all feel a sense of entitlement. They all have an ego, and they all have hang ups. Of course, we all do, but those of us who don't become cops, can deal with our own emotional issues, past and present. I have no respect for those who won't respect me. And so far, all the cops have met, have shown me little to no respect.

link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

Originally posted by JWH44
reply to post by randyvs

Therefore, I think it is necessary to provide a counterpoint in response to some of the more outlandish statements that are made by the few.

........while not discounting the factual ones. ....sir

I sincerely hope I haven't given that impression. I made it a point in my OP to state that there are factual accounts of police brutality. I don't deny that.

link   
Its unbelievable how anyone can even stand there with a straight face and stand up for people that knowingly murder anyone they want and run vendettas for there friends and organise things like gang stalking.

Nice little cop, how about getting one of your drug dealer friends to give a persons child you do not like drugs in the school playground.

Police in london do this, to target individuals they go after.

What lovely people, pure scum to a man.

Police are documented well in the program gbh, go and watch, how police and criminals target victims and join together to destroy there lifes.

So cop, did you know your mates get drug dealers to give kids in primary school drugs of people they do not like.

Oh no i gave away a secret of the police, oh no.

Police = murderers, period.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Police work, like any other profession, only attracts certain types of people. One type of person that is attracted to police work are people who have a strong and sincere desire to serve the community. These people are the good cops.

The other type of person that is attracted to police work are people that love power and love to use it. These are the bad cops.

I think it is fair to criticize police forces for not weeding out the potential bad cops and rewarding the behavior of good cops. A bad cop that throws a bunch of people in jail and rules the streets with an iron fist is more likely to get ahead in many police departments than a good cops who resolves street-level issues through tact and reason.

I love the sanity and logic of your position. Couldn'ta said it better myself!!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by JWH44

romanns

95% of all cops i've dealt with were super A-HOLES........and i've never even been arrested.

Well I can tell all about the opposite side of that coin pal.
I've been arrested 31 times by several different agencies I think if someone was going to come across the claim you make it would have been me. I never have had a violent arrest. Not one bad experience
can I tell you about. Not one.

Being arrested 31 times should tell you that I wasn't an azz kisser either.
The only way I can explain it. If they decide to arrest me it's my fault not
theirs. Sense tells me that the guns , batons, mace and cuffs not to
mention the muscle, makes them the boss.
People just let them do their job things won't get ugly.
I have experience in the field big time.
They're gonna win everytime it's that simple.
I don't get arrested anymore those were younger years.

I see Andy's whinning again. Get over it guy. Move on. ridiculous!

[edit on 4-3-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Everwatcher33

I have been doing a lot of research into that aspect.

There is getting to be over 700,000 statutes and climbing.

When their is a judicial component of "ignorance of the law, is no excuse", how the hell is that the unfathomable amount of statutes not relevant?

A government cannot CONTROL citizens. BUT they can control criminals.

A LEO could go to anyone and arrest them and FIND SOME statute to charge them with.

If you exist in the US, you can be arrested for just about anything and they would be able to make it stick.

That is what this is all about-CONTROL.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Andy1033.

Anger is poison. You need an antitoxin.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Everwatcher33
when did it become necessary to place 50,000 laws (made it up, but you get the picture) to govern the people of this country?

as soon as it was decided that govern meant "control every aspect of human behavior"!! the police are not there to govern, ensure government or enforce the will of government, they are there to protect the safety of the people.

you just don't seem to get it!!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

I beleive the biggest issue with Law Enforcement is their inability to use reasoning, common sense, have empathy, show compassion, determine valid threats, ASK QUESTIONS.

Scenario A: Naked 40 year old man off his head on crack.....TAZER??...CHECK

Scenario B: Naked 70 year old lady, confused because her medication is wrong.....TAZER??.......NEGATVE!!!

It's common bloody sense OP, you cannot justify, argue for or rationalise this my friend.

Yes we feel for cops sometime, yes not all of them are bad, and yes it is probably their TRAINING and a systemic failing rather than simply that of the officer involved.

But come on, the vast majority of POs are so INCAPABLE of using common sense.

Quite literally.

People are dying because cops attack first, think second.

I also think that an US against THEM stance by the public makes the situation worse, maybe a little more common sense on both sides!

Al the best. KF

[edit on 4-3-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Same here. We ARE supposed to get wiser and calmer as we age, n'est-ce pas? Ahh, the testosterone of youth!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join