It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Static Electric And Would Like Some Answers Please

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well, like I said, I try to touch the mouse or remote so if I am going to shock something I will shock that instead. Also like right now, I touched my mouse first before I touched my laptop, now that I am typing, my forearm stays on the computer.

On my really particularly "bad" days, I will literally hum or vibrate (not trying to be New Agey or anything its just the only way I know to describe it). I am EXTREMELY careful then and I do try to "focus" it all to my hands and will touch the sink or something ( and stay OFF my computer!!!!).

Hubby keeps threatning to attach the voltmeter or something to me so he know's when he can hug me!!

Sorry I cant be of more help, but yes with practice you can learn to focus the current to your hands, and depending on how bad, I keep shocking the sink until its more manageable. It will take a while to build the charge up again once you have done this.

Make sense?

Casing

A friend suggested I learn to control it by trying to get a lightbulb to light up on purpose or something of that nature. Which i am going to start practicing, though I dont know why I build up such a charge in the first place (no carpet etc). So I am going to check out that book that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hey, if it will save another computer... I'm all for it - I LOVE my laptop!

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Casing]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casing
Well, like I said, I try to touch the mouse or remote so if I am going to shock something I will shock that instead. Also like right now, I touched my mouse first before I touched my laptop, now that I am typing, my forearm stays on the computer.

On my really particularly "bad" days, I will literally hum or vibrate (not trying to be New Agey or anything its just the only way I know to describe it). I am EXTREMELY careful then and I do try to "focus" it all to my hands and will touch the sink or something ( and stay OFF my computer!!!!).

Hubby keeps threatning to attach the voltmeter or something to me so he know's when he can hug me!!

Sorry I cant be of more help, but yes with practice you can learn to focus the current to your hands, and depending on how bad, I keep shocking the sink until its more manageable. It will take a while to build the charge up again once you have done this.

Make sense?

Casing

A friend suggested I learn to control it by trying to get a lightbulb to light up on purpose or something of that nature. Which i am going to start practicing, though I dont know why I build up such a charge in the first place (no carpet etc). So I am going to check out that book that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hey, if it will save another computer... I'm all for it - I LOVE my laptop!

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Casing]

That's pretty amazing, Casing.

You were a great help, thanks.
Maybe that book will help us both.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Try taking a shower using liquid soap with extra moisturizer.
Eat more meat and root vegetables to ground you.
Wear rubber soled shoes like sneakers.
Wear cotton clothes.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
Wear cotton clothes.

Yeah? I want to trust this, but your screen name is NotThat

Interesting, I will look into what you have said. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

you should try unleashing electricity at will towards grounded objects
reply to post by indigothefish

Are you serious? would that really work? If so, how do I do it?

I'm a teacher and I can see it now. Sit down or get zapped!

edit because I just realized you posted the link. Students....you have been warned.

Bwahahahahaha

[edit on 4-3-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I live in AZ so the dryness makes it extra easy to build up static and ESD on things. It seems certain times of the year it is much worse. I even get shocked by my can of coca-cola when I go to pick it up. At work I had to spray anti-static spray on the carpet around where I sat, because I would ESD on anything I touched - not good when working on computers and components
It is quite annoying and during these peak times I hate having to be cautious touching things even the damn doorknob, just like that scene in Office Space haha.

The anti-static spray helps a lot, you should try it out. Also if you sit in a chair that has plastic wheels (most of them) that are on carpet, this builds up static very easily as the plastic rolling on the carpet, even from minute movements, quickly builds up a charge that transfers to you.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic

Originally posted by NotThat
Wear cotton clothes.

Yeah? I want to trust this, but your screen name is NotThat

Interesting, I will look into what you have said. Thanks.

NotThat refers to a meditation experience.

I found the above stuff helpful for this problem. Good luck.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by NotThat]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I've had a similar problem, but it's so sporadic, I cant pin it on anything.

plastic wrappers (like the kind mints/ candy canes come in) stick to my fingers til well into summer.

Wal Mart shopping carts BITE. I can be pushing one, and suddenly, I get a nasty shock that makes me jump and yowl (and get funny looks from people). I even went so far as to ask if they had some sort of electronic devices in them.

And the wildest....

I went to fix a friend's wall outlet. Power was turned off and double checked. I kept shocking myself, so I got the voltmeter from my friend, turned it on, and there was a charge of amazing fluctuation going thru the wire. What makes this weird is when I handed off the meter- the fluctuations STOPPED. It zeroed completely out. And yes, the leads were still on the wires, checking for voltage. As soon as I touched wires OR the voltmeter, it went nuts.

I have been zapped quite a few times in my life- the past couple times several years ago were BAD- think soaking wet, standing in an inch+ of water, and finding out the flood pump had a bare wire. It felt so good, I managed to do it one more time... So mebbe electrical shocks have something to do with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It seems seasonal to me, this time of year I've noted it seems extremely bad here in the Southeast. Almost everyone complains of it down here this time of year. Air moisture content or something atmospheric perhaps? Not certain, but it does make me scrub off a spark on the car door before pumping gas!

Urban legend? Maybe, but I have heard that people have been blown up refueling due to a static shock.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Diagnosis: Skin conductivity increases, in other words, the resistance goes down, when people lie due to the increase in skin moisture. In my opinion is that you're far too honest and that is why you are being punished with this problem of excess ionizability.

Solution: Don't be so honest; tell two good lies and call me in the morning.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have no idea if this really works, but......
inventorspot.com...

The Sparknon Silicone Wristband from Compact Impact of Japan is designed to dissipate those pesky static electric charges that always seem to zap you when touching computers, doorknobs or other metal objects in a dry environment or, especially, when touching the metal of your car door when you exit the vehicle

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That is really strange because my brother is red headed, and he has this same problem. But, instead of getting shocked, anything he holds that is little and electrical tends to malfunction. He can't even wear a wrist watch because it will stop working. He does get shocked alot too.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I've no advice to offer, just the reassurance that you are not the only one.

In my younger days I was always getting shocks from things I touched, and would shock people who touched me. It diminished gradually, but once it came back in a strange way. A despicable, lying bastard had forced his way into my house, shoved me into a corner and was trying to force himself on me. He was so repellent I couldn't bear to even touch him to push him away, and, in desperation, I thought a push at him, despite my hands being still at my sides. He went flying across the room, landing on the floor, and ran out, terrified. He later told my daughter, (who knew his son,) that he didn't know what I was, but I wasn't human. He claimed I'd used a lightning bolt on him.

So this might work for you as a secret weapon if ever you get desperate enough.

My youngest son, during his teens, was the most electric person I've ever encountered. He's an aspie, (has Asperger's,) has asthma and allergies to pretty well everything, and was mostly living on salads. He too got shocks from everything and gave people shocks. However he got much worse when upset, and then anything electrical around him would be affected and your skin would tingle and your hair stand on end from being in the room with him.

This really annoyed people playing computer games with him back then because if he got upset about losing, the TV picture would turn to grey fuzz.

However he grew out of this and is now pretty normal, - well, electrically, anyway.

Come to think of it, he'd had some horrible experiences in his early teens, things too bad to talk about, and so had I. And that horrible man I mentioned brought out my "ability" again. This might not be relevant, but I'd suggest, just in case, looking carefully at your own life and seeing if something has deeply unsettled you, which could be causing tensions you are unaware of.

I wish you luck, but please excuse me not shaking your hand.

[edit on 5/3/10 by Kailassa]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

How about your carpet? Carpets generate electric charges. I used to be really electrically charged years ago and when an electric storm approached, my hair would raise straight up on my head and so would the little hairs on my arms. Lots of shocks opening up the front door...could encase metal things with plastic or cloth to reduce shocks. I wonder if diet has an effect? Too much acid or alkalai? Any chemists in the house?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Ha! I get shocked by water. I don't think I'll ever get used to that.

I destroy computers unless they get used to me in time. Same goes for cell phones and PDAs. The computer I used at work used to periodically lose 'trust' in the system and refuse to connect to the network too. No one could explain it. Changing physical parts had no effect.

Since I was a kid I haven't been able to wear wristwatches - the battery is dead within the month, and the hands and (in the case of my favorite Seiko) the 'perpetual' calendar go berserk. I can go to sleep on the 21st and wake up on the 5th. lol

My son has recently started having the same experience with all of his watches as well. They are either kinetic or digital. I guess they are now relegated to the same drawer as mine. By the way, they function perfectly as long as we don't touch them. =/

One beneficial side effect is that I can heal with my hands. That was a nice surprise, I must say. Perhaps if you started meditating and at some point during prayer you asked for guidance on utilitizing those energies, you might also find a hidden treasure.

Always remember that things are not as they seem to be.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I would say that I definatatly get shocked more than most people. I constantly have static, my hair trys to float around all the time I have to spray it a lot with hairspray to keep it from standing on end. I cannot wear a watch, niether could my grandfather, they stop working in less than an hour. Even my dogs are wary of being shocked, they have learned over the years and approach me slowly, when my chihuahua come to me she is so smart she touches my hubby and me at the same time, and it shocks my hubby! I always shock him when we kiss too. It hurts and I carry around dryer sheets, I touch all the metal around me before pumping gas, and yes, I too have seen the shocks, that look like lightning bolts!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I, too, have this trouble with static electricity discharge. (and I'm red-headed, although I think that's just coincidence). The most effective thing I could do was to buy an anti-static mat to touch before I touch my computer, and on a more general basis, run a humidifier in the house. It gets extremely dry here in the winter, and the static shocks are enough to leave you numb for hours. If you prefer low-tech, just put the kettle on the stove to boil for a few hours each day (remember to refill the water as it boils off!) All these things have helped what was a very serious problem for me. I used to ruin all kind of electrical gadgets, but no longer. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Just remember to stay away from the MOBO.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I have spent many years in the microchip industry and static is a major issue. I have also spent many hours on projects to reduce static on the manufacturing floor.

My first recommendation is to get some ESD shoes. Just do an internet search, there are plenty of choices. Some are pretty stylish others are really ugly. I have a nice pair made by Red Wings. These shoes will do wonders to reduce the amount of charge that your body can build up. And try to keep the bottoms of them fairly clean.

Get a humidifier. The drier the air is, the easier a charge can build up. This will help to keep the static to a minimum as well as make your house more pleasant.

Another thing is if you have long hair, try cutting it or wearing it in a pony tail. Long hair that is loose and rubbing against itself will build up a charge. Also, maybe try a different shampoo.

Also you can get ESD hand lotion. Be aware though, some of these can smell kind of weird. Again you'll probably have to order it online, but it can help.

I hope this helps.

J.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

You have company.

I touched one of our metal filing cabinets at work this last week and saw a string of white electric go from my finger to the metal.

Heard a sizzle, crack and felt a jolt so strong my ears rang the rest of the day not to mention the pain my pointing finger felt.

All day I got zapped touching anything metal.

I had to go and get a pair of latex gloves to stop it.

When I went to touch a coworker on the shoulder to whisper something to her, we both got zapped.

The next couple of days i shook uneasily just having to touch any type of metal, like one of those lab rats that got put on a wire grid floor and shocked.

The weirdest thing was the string of white light that went from my finger to the cabinet.

I also cannot wear a watch and have auburn red hair.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by ofhumandescent]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join