It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Moisture Mysteries Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
DENVER, COLORADO -- Ankle-deep water covering all of Mars. That's how much is thought to be lurking subsurface on the red planet.

Data gathered by NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft has given the first global look at the total amount of water stored near the Martian surface....

Full Story

arc

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thats pretty interesting - I caught a bit of this article before but first time had chance to read it in full. I've often pondered if Mars died - if you think about it as the sun ages it cools down, so maybe Mars was once in the prime spot for life that earth is now and earth was back then too hot. All speculation I know

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I've often wondered the same thing. If Mars was once like Earth itself. They're so similar in size, same geographical features, i.e. cliffs, valleys, riverbeds (indicating water at some point). Speculation yes, but a good theory indeed.

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I mentioned this in the thread regarding the comet....

We have reason to believe that Mars at one time had atmospheric pressure approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of Earths atmospheric pressure (Mars currently holds 1/100 of Earth atmospheric pressure, which is just a step above hard vaccuum). If this is true, depending on the temperature ranges and composition, this could be an environment that would support Earthlike biological lifeforms.

We also have reason to believe that Mars lost the vast majority of its atmosphere between 1 and 2 billion years ago, due to an impact of a very large (as large or larger than dino-killer) asteroid, but at a very oblique (flatter than 45 degrees impact) angle. It has been simulated that if an asteroid of 10 miles diameter or so were to impact at a very oblique angle, the impact shock wave would litterally rip a very large percentage of the atmosphere off the planet and fling it into space. (There is discussion that one or both of Mars moons could have come from the same event, either as pieces of Mars crust thrown into orbit, or possibly pieces of the original impactor essentially *skipping* off the surface of Mars and ending up in orbit)

Of course, were the same thing to happen to the earth, the results would be catastrophic, and likely unsurvivable globally....

arc

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
its a shame the time scale you mention there dragonrider, isn't a little more recent. Might explain some of these odd genesis myths floating around if you have survivors from one dying planet seizing on the next planet along as a viable new home....

and also that inexplicable vision/memory thing I had many years ago, before I knew about any of these topics, of escaping from somewhere red with many other people

*shakes head*

aah the perils of pot smoking.....

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
All statements in this discussion seem to indicate mars is dead.

If our planet was headed for a major catastropy that would make living on the surface impossible where would we go...what would we do?

Without a doubt most of us would perish, however, with minimal preparation (already done) some would survive underground. It is also possible for underground habitation to continue for a long, long time.

There is absolutely no convincing proof that the planet mars is without intelligent life. When NASA provides data currently being withheld, we will find a much different mars than what the common folk understand at this point.

Of course, if NASA provided every bit of information gathered over the decades, one might not be so inclined to feed the church coffers every week.

deleted

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Deleted,

Thank you again for an insightful post and response. Also, thank you for the link, it is very interesting.

To answer your point regarding the possible habitation of Mars, it really wouldn't surprise me. I am totally disillusioned at the way NASA has been lying to us lately, as far as I'm concenred, they have burned any credibility they may have had, and all information they likely release is now highly suspect at best.

If you have read my thread regarding the Cabal and Alternative 3 (now Alternative 4) it appears that the Cabals plans to relocate to Mars has fallen through, apparently due to the fact that someone is already in residence, and not too keen to let them trespass.

However, as a scientist, I am restricted to making hard scientific analysis with hard (supposedly) facts. Therefore, for the purpose of this thread (I am trying to be as accurate with my estimations as I can be) I am reverting to known experiments, analysis, and hypothesis that have been put forth from respected scientists and scholars (even if some of them are NASA....)

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
dragonrider...deja vu all over again

I have read two books on alternative 3. At this time, I would like to reserve my opinion on the validity of this subject.

Please give me the lead to your postings on this matter and I promise you a more appropriate response.

deleted

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   

top topics

join