It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.4 quake shakes Vanuato

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I am showing a spike all through CA and also in the stations in Japan in GEE. I don't know what it is, but it is weird...

Showed up in Washington State too...

might be this:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

yes, it most likely was that quake, jeez, powerful! That's shaking stations all over, even registering in South America...

[edit on Thu Mar 4th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I am showing a spike all through CA and also in the stations in Japan in GEE. I don't know what it is, but it is weird...

uhmm...could you be a little more specific??? what spike?? of what??

i haven't seen anything on the news

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I don't know about "all over the world".....my lil town here in Arkansas (mere miles from the New Madrid) felt nothing. Nothing cool EVER happens here

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by starsyren

I don't know about "all over the world".....my lil town here in Arkansas (mere miles from the New Madrid) felt nothing. Nothing cool EVER happens here

Awwww.....

Now what makes you think an earthquake is cool? Ever been in one? It's not too cool when you are getting your ass shaken off, I promise you...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Obviously not what I meant.....nothing of significance ever happens here. And I've been in countless earthquakes, before moving here I was born and raised in southern California. I'm no stranger to ground movement

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I guess a 6.4 at that depth probably would ring the seismos.

Just how many seismos are you watching at one time!!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

That's Arkansas for you.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

He is unbelievable, isn't he?

I am still trying to find out what time this was posted and when this quake happened but i do believe TrueAmerican even beat the USGS in detecting this one!!

Great job!!

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

oh no, I can promise you I didn't beat the USGS in detecting it, but I did beat them in reporting it. Problem is, I didn't know what exactly it was, just saw the spikes shaking up the entire planet!

and puterman, the answer is: A lot of em all over!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Well I for one am grateful! Every time the new madrid fault jiggles I come in here looking for you!!! I think I have finally convinced my husband that ATS is a great place to get varying types of info!! Keep up the good work!!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

As per your USGS link, under Earthquakes--Worldwide, I AM noticing a lot of activity....but it seems as though the continent of Africa is blissfully devoid of any activity. Is Africa just situated in the center of it's own plate or could there be something to that???

[edit on 4-3-2010 by starsyren]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

most earthquake zones are where two tectonic plates converge with eachother, causing subduction and friction between the plates that create earthquakes. The african plates are actually diverging, and pulling apart instead, which creates rifts and valleys instead of friction and earthquakes.

There actually was a good link to an artical of the divergence rift in africa being scheduled to turn into an ocean in a hundred million years or so. Too lazy to look it up, but it is in the Fragile Earth forum.

edit:

The westerly side is a divergent boundary with the North American Plate to the north and the South American Plate to the south forming the central and southern part of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. The African plate is bounded on the northeast by the Arabian Plate, the southeast by the Indo-Australian Plate, the north by the Eurasian Plate and the Anatolian Plate, and on the south by the Antarctic Plate. All of these are divergent or spreading boundaries with the exception of the northern boundary with the Eurasian Plate (except for a short segment near the Azores, the Terceira Rift).

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 4-3-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

You know, that's actually a good question. To be honest, I am clueless when it comes to Africa and quakes, because frankly we hardy ever hear of any. I might just check into that, thanks.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good job, TA.

I dont mean to take away from the thread, but does anyone have a theory or an explanation or suspicion as to why so many Earthquakes now?

Its scary as all heck. There's got to be some cause and effect here.

I hope those people are alright...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

Yeah I remember the scientific article stating that Africa was sinking as the plates surrounding it were moving apart from it. So it may fall into the ocean in like a billion years.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Yeah the answer is that there's NOT more earthquakes than usual.

Just more hype.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

Yeah I remember the scientific article stating that Africa was sinking as the plates surrounding it were moving apart from it. So it may fall into the ocean in like a billion years.

I wouldn't say it is sinking. It is moving north-northeast and pushing against the Eurasian plate, causing subduction along the Azores-Gibraltar fault zone (which is an EQ-prone area).

If anything, eventually the mediterranean will be squished into a small area, and a new ocean or lake may form near Somalia where the Nubian and Somalian plates are moving away from eachother.
--This in the timescale of tens or hundreds of millions of years of course

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Maybe we should be looking for one of these??

Top 5 Ways to Cause a Man-Made Earthquake

Who knows?

Peace

Edit to fix the link.....

[edit on 4-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Fixed

[edit on 4-3-2010 by operation mindcrime]