It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds to tinker with 'O' Canada?'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

OTTAWA — The Conservative government is cracking open a potentially contentious debate over tinkering with ‘O Canada.'

The Speech from the Throne promised to prod Parliament to assess if the national anthem should be made more gender-neutral. At issue is the English phrase “in all thy sons command” — which has drawn the ire of some Canadians, especially women’s groups.
“We’ve got some very important challenges and every time the government is asked to do something real, it does something symbolic,” he said. “There are lots of things to do for women that are more important than changing the words of the national anthem.”

www.torontosun.com...

So in the middle of the annual Throne Speech from the Canadian government, there is talk of changing the wording of the national anthem. Personally I think that this is just taking political correctness to far. Why stir up a whole debate about this, as it doesn't seem to have been a priority for the last hundred years or so. And why during the week were the federal budget comes out? Is this just a distraction from other issues?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by oneinthesameWhy stir up a whole debate about this, as it doesn't seem to have been a priority for the last hundred years or so. And why during the week were the federal budget comes out? Is this just a distraction from other issues?

I think 'distraction' is the correct terminology, although Harper DID mention women's issues as a priority in Davos earlier.

Anything to swing focus away from the more pressing issues... the prorogation, the dissolution of the panel looking into Afghan Detainee treatment, the parliamentary demand for documents relating to the abuse of prisoners while under Canadian control, the Omar Khadr affair and a host of other issues bedevilling the Harper government.

Why not just go back to the way our national anthem was initially written?

From your link:

The earlier version of the anthem, written in 1908 by Robert Stanley Weir, read: “true patriot love thou dost in us command.” The more familiar version was being used more widely by 1927, when it was used during the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation.

No gender issues there.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by oneinthesame

I agree. Too much political correctness, but some liberals will love this. Indeed, nothing is safe from the exploitation of political-correctness, and it can get mildly annoying. Like Ignatieff said, it's just a distraction from more pressing issues. Before you know it, they'll be taking "God" out of it, and changing everything else. I have nothing wrong with people believing what they want, but can't some traditions stay?

Come to Canada, be a Canadian. Simple.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet the "our son's", was put in place because of the Canadian effort in WWI. Those were the days when our women didn't go to war as active soldiers.

They do now.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Indeed, and I am all for equality, and I thank the brave women who serve in our armed forces, however, I believe some tradition is best left alone. But that's just my subjective opinion.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Change "Sons" to "Ones".

Or just flush the people trying to push "collapsing society virus" or political correctness, whatever you want to call it, into Canada.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I think you're right about the war. In those days it was only the men that fought. However, I think the ' thou dost in us command' line that they want to use to replace the current 'in all thy sons command' with doesn't sound right. Maybe there's a better alternative?

However I still don't think they change it, because then they'll want to change it again, take out the "god keep our land", and then the "native land", because we are a nation where many are not naitve born Canadians. And then it just becomes a completely different song.

Edit to add - I am not trying to belittle in any way the status of women in society. I just like this song the way it is. Maybe a completely new song is needed altogether.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by oneinthesame]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This is a joke right?

If it isn't a joke, then we are meant to believe that some "gender" based augmentation of our national anthem in a country of more than fractured identity is more important than real issues?

Someone needs to tell King Harper to get off his fat @ss and tell people what is really going on.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I really don't care that much if they change it or not... It is just a song after all, and it's not like it's going to totally change the impact and meaning of the anthem anyways.

Part of me wants it to stay the same, just because it's tradition; I was taught how to sing it the original way, as was my Dad and my Grandfather.

However, the silly point is that this suggestion, as any action taken by the government, is met with criticism and whining from all sides who could care less, but simply want attention and political-ego-filling debates.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

No this isn't a joke. And I do believe that this is meant to distract from real issues, as you have said. Especially as the budget comes out tommorow and we get to see how broke the country is. Also this seems to have completely taken over the news, and taken away much attention from Harper proroguing government for two months.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Two words for these alleged women's groups: *snip*

The anthems fine just like it is, has been for the longest time.

I bet half the women in these groups complaining about this issue don't even know the dam words the our anthem!

There is probably something far more sinister going on and their using this BS to grab the sheeple's attention so they don't object to the rites their taking away, or the new crap tax that their gonna hit us with.

I'm sorry, but stuff like this really chafes my crack!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
Two words for these alleged women's groups

What was that?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3796713e8125.jpg[/atsimg]

Girls are different today.

I say sing it like Bobby Weir intended in 1908.

But, yeah, it's a smokescreen for the important issues.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Two words for these alleged women's groups

What was that?

Girls are different today.

I say sing it like Bobby Weir intended in 1908.

But, yeah, it's a smokescreen for the important issues.

As I've stated. I agree it's a smokescreen. I heard about this topic on the news this morning and they mentioned that the budget is being voted on.
Wonder what else is going on that they didn't mention?

And that picture you posted.... I think I could take her!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

And that picture you posted.... I think I could take her!

You might want to think about it some more. There's a story behind that fist that you might want to check out first.

Oh... and, btw, I bet she checks her name on Google all the time, so she's likely read this thread.

Not to get too far off topic with this, but Canada's women are no shrinking violets and have my complete respect. Even the Olympic women's hockey team that had to apologize for drinking beer and smoking cigars after winning the gold.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
... and speaking of government of canada b.s. i have evidence that the british columbia, canada finance minister has recently been caught taking illegal bribe kickbacks. it's true. this is no hoax. this is real. the evidence is attached to this post ...

... the corrupt british columbia, canada government is a fascist regime infested with crooks top to bottom. i have concrete, tangible evidence that proves bc's finance minister has participated in an illegal kickback scheme in which the minister receives cash payoffs from the accounting/consulting firm pricewaterhousecoopers inc. (pwc) when pwc is appointed to oversee third-party assets by the supreme court of british columbia ...

... see the evidence HERE ...

... or see the proof by copying and googling this phrase: bc finance minister takes illegal kickbacks from pwc by callum houston ...

... the government of british columbia is sacked and it's going down like the hindenburg ...

[edit on 4-3-2010 by johnny saigon]

[edit on 4-3-2010 by johnny saigon]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The song is already gender-neutral. The masculine is generic. The feminine is specific.

How stupid do you have to be not to understand that?

What would all these gender-nuts do if they lived in romance language countries?

Oh, yeah! Canada is a romance language speaking country.

French with it's gender specific nouns must drive them nuts, or is it only English that gets their collective goat?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Whether or not anything comes of it I think it's a legitimate debate for Canada to be having. All the hostility in this thread leads you to think some of you are afraid of the debate, or change. Multiculturalism and tolerance is what Canada is about and what we pride ourselves on, if you can't get your head around that there's a place for you south of the border where you'll feel right at home.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
2 whole days of strong public opposition to this issue and it's over just like that! WTF!

The Harper government has decided it's not going to review the lyrics of "O Canada," only days after the Tories created a national stir on the eve of their deficit budget.......Read More

The fact that the government LISTENED to the people (that's a first) after two days of opposition just goes to further affirm my suspicion of something else going on behind the scenes.

Now to do some searching to see if I can find what went on while we were looking the other way.
When has something like this ever been decided in 2 days?
It's usually months of crap investigations and reports before they can come to a consensus that's almost always not in the peoples best wishes.

Now to go do some searching to see if I can find out what happened while we were all looking the other way.

new topics

top topics

join