It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Volcanic Eruptions Follow Chile's Earthquake? Experts (& Recent History) Say "Yes"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
According Oxford University volcanologist, David Pyle, Chile's magnitude 8.8 earthquake may be a prelude to a series of volcanic explosions. "We expect to see an upsurge in volcanic activity over the next 12 months," said Pyle.

In his notebooks of the voyage of the HMS Beagle, Charles Darwin noted the link between a large earthquake off Chile's coastline in February 1835 and previously inactive volcanoes: "The papers will have told you about the great Earthquake of the 20th of February. I suppose it certainly is the worst ever experienced in Chili (sic). It is no use attempting to describe the ruins--it is the most awful spectacle I ever beheld. The town of Concepcion is now nothing more than piles and lines of bricks, tiles and timbers-- it is absolutely true there is not one house left habitable."

www.dailygalaxy.com...

This may be a real threat to our planet, if it changed our orbit who knows what else is to come, not to much of a stretch.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Last week's earthquake occurred on the same section of fault that caused the earthquake Darwin observed in 1835. "We'll be using satellite measurements of heat and deformation to keep an eye on the entire arc of volcanoes, from Llaima in the south to Tupungatito in the north," said Pyle.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bc79b604f46c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

OMG! This is possibly my worst nightmare ever, next to nuclear.

I live in Northern California, quite close to Livermore Labs, which
is full of nuclear uranium/plutonium.

Not to mention, Yellowstone National Park is fairly close as well.

I've been sandwhiched by possible/instantaneous death... Scary!

Great Post!
S&F

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tek-Neek55

Not sure that is the best place to be, when I lived in the Bay Area I actually worked near the Lab for a short time, think it was the Vasco exit...but lived in Berkeley, just below the Berkeley Lab where SETI is located...

Don't think there are any active Volcano's in your area but of course quakes, I was there in 89 quake...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Yeah, Ive been sayin that for some time now. I lived in Fremont
for the first 20 years of my life, moved out on my own to Dublin (4yrs),
which is right before the Vasco Exit, and now I just recently moved
to Lodi, which is right after Stockton off highway 99. Soon, I should
be moving to Sparks, Nevada which is about 45 minutes east of Reno.

I don't know, I think if Yellowstone were to blow, wouldn't the whole
Northern Westcoast be done for?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Tek-Neek55

Scientist say if Yellowstone blew it could effect a 500 to 600 radius, guess that would depend on how large it was...used to go to the Nugget in Sparks, summers there are soooooooooooooo hot!!! So is Stockton..stay cool and keep the faith.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
While I am not at all dismissing the seriousness this earthquake could cause within the next 12 months might I ask why after the 1835 earthquake were there no volcanic eruptions? I checked wikipedia 1835 and 1836 and it said nothing about any volcanic activity nor any other earthquake activity.

Great post though, good thing I'm safe here in Florida. S/F

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I personally think it is all connected, like having a chain reaction of events, one after another, Like throwing a pebble in a pond, then you get ripples, then those ripples spread out as far as they can reach. peace

top topics

join