It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama's top 10 insults against Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Barack Obama's top 10 insults against Britain

blogs.telegraph.co.uk

Last week’s appalling declaration by Washington that the US would remain neutral in the conflict between Britain and Argentina over the Falklands, has prompted this list of the ten biggest insults so far by the Obama administration against America’s closest friend and ally. For a government that pledged to “restore” America’s standing in the world, it is doing a spectacularly bad job, kowtowing to America’s enemies while consistently kicking her allies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
i had thought the fuss over the special relationship was all a bit much, and just something to fill the newspapers with, but after reading this article, and hearing of the falklands fiasco im starting to think obama and the democrats really dont like britain.

the treatment of our soldiers in afghanistan and nato is not on, britons are dying there for america and the war on terror, and we cant even expect a word of support.
The treatment of gordon brown is pretty shabby too, the dvds obama gave him dont even work in britain? surely obama is not that stupid?

gordon brown should pull our soldiers out of afghanistan and let the french and germans attempt to fill the gap, weve got the falklands to worry about.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-3-2010 by hans kammler]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Nice find... I had missed that.

I agree that there appears to be no ties of strength or truth. Perhaps this was 'the change' that Obama was bringing in?!?

He certainly seems to screwing America up (the UK is screwed up to, if only we could get out of the EU!)... The blog certainly does highlight some very arrogant and rude actions considering the resource and lives that have come from the UK to stand with America.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I doubt Barack Obama can be bothered to say sorry!

Bush alienated the French and the Germans. Forreign politics should be ruled by something other than: You don't play with me in Afganistan, then I don't talk to you any more. Or like now with the British. This is behavior fitting for a Kindergarten, not Politics.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This made me chuckle - an answer from someone on the blog regarding 'Hillary':

I am calling for the end of the illegal imperialist colonial occupation of the Hawaiian islands. Hawaii needs to be returned to the native population.
I say free Hawaii now.
The plus side it invalidates Obamas right to be President once and for all.

Oh how clever.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hans kammler

So your angry because the United states refuses to get further into foreign conflicts? The United states has its own problems now and we are already having to deal with the mess in other foreign countries. Its already cost the nation $2 trillion over the last 10 years over involvement in foreign matters so how on earth can you expect the US to now drag itself further into global matters with this?

The US and Britain share a special bond, there is no denying that. That being said, the Falkland islands are a bunch of small cold artic rocks to the south that never belonged the Britain in the first place. Why should the US be dragged into protecting the territorial lands that have little connect to Britain other than claim? Helping to defend Britian is one thing, getting dragged into foreign lands that hold little connection to Britain is another thing. This was the same issue I had back to the Iraq war.... why on earth did Tony Blair get involved in the war when it was an outright lie and had nothing to do with the defense of the United states?

The telegram is a conservative media outlet that, just like the conservative media outlet here, is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at the current president. Just politics as usual, nothing to see here.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This issue is one of the very, very few U.S. issues that I actually agree with the Obama Administration on. Please don't take it from me.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

We have "just a claim"? What about Argentina? That's ALL they have! At least we've had people living there for over 200 years.

We're not asking for the US to jump in "protect" us, we can do that fine ourselves. But how about some "friendly" words of encouragement to shut the Argies up?

Nope, not one word. I say we pack up in Afghanistan now and leave the US to play with their new friends, the French. See how that works out for you.

Oh, it's Antarctic, not Arctic. Arctic is in the North...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I figured I may address these 'top 10 insults':

1. Declaration of neutrality over the Falklands

As I explained above. The Falklands are a bunch of south american arctic islands that hold little to no relation to Britain other than imperialistic claim.

2. Downgrading of the Special Relationship

This was from the article:

Barack Obama never refers to the Special Relationship, and has not even mentioned Britain once in a major policy speech, either before or after taking office.

It took me a couple of seconds to prove that claim as false:
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.youtube.com...
www.independent.co.uk...

But ofcourse we know where the telegraph gets its talking points from?

The Anglo-American alliance is barely a blip on Obama’s teleprompter screen,

Out with the teleprompter argument again? Drudge report and WND talking points for sure.

3. Support for a federal Europe

Why does the US have to decide for Britain? Is it not your countries choice as to whether you wish to join the EU or not? Why must the US decide for you? Is your nation incapable of making that decision yourselves?

4. Undermining of British influence in NATO

The reasoning from that of yours was that the US was paying too much attention to France over Britain in NATO. I mean I could swear we're in grade school again with all this bickering.

5. Refusal to recognize Britain’s sacrifice in Afghanistan

Another lie
www.guardian.co.uk...
news.sky.com... 36045

What more must he do? Must he satisfy everybody?

6. Throwing Churchill out of the Oval Office

Obama changed the oval office around, just as Bush had before, just as Clinton has before. Him returning the bust of winston churchhill doesnt show in way he was snubbing off Britain. I think those overly sensistive conservatives just needed some more things to throw around.

7. Insulting words from the State Department

An opinion from the senior State Department protocol official, not Obama. What does he have to moniter and correct everybody and assure the sensistivities of everbody else? Including the people that will complain about him regardless?

8. DVDs for the Prime Minister

Ok, so among his insults was the fact Obama sent a gift to Gordon Brown? A gift of DVD's? And this is somehow an outrage? Can you do any better then this? Seriously this is pathetic.

9. Refusal to meet the Prime Minister in New York

As if the president doesnt meet the Prime minister enough a year already? Must he make himself everywhere everytime not to offend somebody?

10. Robert Gibbs’ embarrassing attack on the British press

This was an attack on the telegraph specifically and article they wrote. Gibbs was replying to a smear article from the telegraph, and ironically the very author is the one writing this, complaining about what Gibbs said to his smear. Pot calling the kettle black?

This all sounds to me as nitpicking and bickering. Any excuse and a look into every detail to smear the current president. I am sure the newspaper could have done better, really. To me this just sounds like a tantrum from those who never liked Obama from the start.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We are not simply in Afghanistan as America's poodle, we have alot to gain aswell. In regards to this, Britain hardly needs America to say anything on the matter so the whole malarkey about this is pointless. And quite frankly the further America and Britain distance themselves from each other the better off we, America and the world will be. Course this is just flash in the pan news that means nothing in the end, doesn't change the relationship one iota....sadly

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
We have "just a claim"? What about Argentina? That's ALL they have! At least we've had people living there for over 200 years.

The were evidence of Patagonian indians who inhabited the islands. It isnt excuse enough that because its empty, its rightfully open to claim by Britiain. Indonesia and Fiji have uninhabited islands so would that justify a claim by the US, france, Britain or Germany? Absolutely not.

We're not asking for the US to jump in "protect" us, we can do that fine ourselves.

Then stop complaining.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I disagree... I think the relationship is important but yes you are right on one point. Britain doesnt need to hold itself accountable to the US everytime, and the same the other way around.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

i have not said that i expected the usa to ccome gunsbblazing to britains rescue, so dont try and deflect the issue.
i said it seems rather rude that after we come with guns blazing to help america after 9-11, and we are still in afghanistan as the largest contributor of troops after the us, that when we have a diplomatic argument with argentina over the falklands, that america doesnt respect the fact that the falklands and the falklanders are british, and the issue was settled in 1982!!
hillary and obama better understand that the falklands are british and we will keep it that way forever.
that they dont understand this fact is the whole point, we dont need your bullets or bombs. we have our own, but we expected words of support, for we are your greatest and most dependable ally.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

So your angry because the United states refuses to get further into foreign conflicts? The United states has its own problems now and we are already having to deal with the mess in other foreign countries. Its already cost the nation $2 trillion over the last 10 years over involvement in foreign matters so how on earth can you expect the US to now drag itself further into global matters with this?

No one is expecting anything.

Its just that when some people flew airliners into buildings in NYC, and into the Pentagon, we showed some solidarity with you. We backed you in the search for Bin Laden and the action in Afghanistan, and believe me when I say that if we had taken the advice of our European neighbours and said no to action in Iraq, you wouldn't have gone in there.

The US has been very very good at creating its own messes around the world, be it via CIA backed coups, proxy wars with Russia or the folly of Iraq. No one has forced you into making those messes.

But all the while we've been there and backed you.

Now we don't expect anything particularly in return, but don't you think it would have been a nice gesture to recognise the country that has gone out hand over fist to give the diplomatic credence to your actions around the world?

The US could easily have backed the idea that 200 years of settlement on the Falklands and a population that voted to remain under British rule actually gives Britain more of a claim on the islands than anyone else?

Let me explain some more in terms of interesting diplomacy.

Ascension Island is a British island. Diego Garcia is a British Island. RAF Menwith Hill, RAF Machrihanish, RAF Fairford, RAF Mildenhall and RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus are British facilities......

Think about it.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
And when something of importance comes up, The US will certainly back Britian. But to get your petticoats in a bunch over the Falklands is kinda silly.
If you want to pull favors, wait until something big happens to pull a favor. This is like getting mad because your friend, the world champion blackbelt and kickboxer, won't back you up against a 7th grade playground bully.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And when something of importance comes up, The US will certainly back Britian. But to get your petticoats in a bunch over the Falklands is kinda silly.

Is it?

What would the US reaction be to, say, Puerto Rico being invaded by Cuba or Venezuela?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

We dont need the help of the Yanks to kick the Argentinians backsides. In any case without US military help our casualty count will be lower.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Our president insults our allies,warms up to our enemies.
What is next,handing over the keys to our country on a
silver platter? Just open the doors and let the wolves come
on in.
It seems in one years time,we have gone from hope in our
future,to despair.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hans kammler

i had thought the fuss over the special relationship was all a bit much, and just something to fill the newspapers with,

britons are dying there for america and the war on terror, and we cant even expect a word of support.

Hmm...thats news to me. I thought Brits were there because they too had suffered terrorist attacks? They are part of Nato...right? I'd find it shocking if englishman decided to go give their lives because the US got itself into a mess.

The treatment of gordon brown is pretty shabby too, the dvds obama gave him dont even work in britain? surely obama is not that stupid?

Times are tough here in the states and we don't kneel to England anymore...what would you have preffered as an appropriate gift?

gordon brown should pull our soldiers out of afghanistan and let the french and germans attempt to fill the gap, weve got the falklands to worry about.

OK...pull out. Explain yourselves to NATO...not the USA...you are confused.

AND FYI- I for one am happy to have a POTUS who weighs the justness of a policy or decision without simply always backing our "friends"...whether it be Israel, Saudi Arabia or even England.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I see what your getting at but this isn't about an invasion, this is about drilling rights and international waters. It is a little more complicated, and I don't see how muddying the waters further by involving Washington is gonna help.

Besides, who is gonna want to invade Puerto Rico? ;P

Britain wanted to keep the islands in 1982. And they did it. I figured the British of all people would appreciate DC keeping their noses out of it.

The US came into bad world standing by being involved in wars they shouldn't, yet you want to condemn the current administration by trying to keep out of a war it doesn't belong in.

British officials in Washington said that they were comfortable with the US response to the dispute, but indicated that any American support for mediated negotiations would not be well received. It was “up to the islanders whether they want mediation or not”, one official said.

linky

I don't even see where the British want the US to butt in.

I fail to see the problem here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join