It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Yes" For Texas Governor Is "No" To Washington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
nytimes.com

HOUSTON — Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison had all the advantages a year ago when she laid her plans to run for governor: a high popularity rating, a party shaken by President Obama’s victory, a big bankroll and, most important, the backing of influential Republicans, who felt the incumbent governor, Rick Perry, was too divisive and too conservative.

But by the time Republican voters went to the polls here in a primary on Tuesday, the political ground had shifted under Senator Hutchison, who lost in a three-way race to Mr. Perry.

Early on, he had courted the Tea Party movement and had wooed social conservatives worried about abortion and right-wing Republicans fed up with Congress. Throughout the campaign, Mr. Perry had run against Washington, portraying Ms. Hutchison as a spendthrift who had supported pork barrel projects and the bailout for the banks.

Speaking to supporters on Tuesday night in Driftwood, Tex., the governor said the election had proved the conservative movement in America was alive and well despite the Obama presidency.

“I think the message is pretty clear: conservatism has never been stronger than it is today, and we are taking our country back,” Mr. Perry said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A conservative win in Texas is no great surprise. A win over Kay Bailey Hutchison, a popular senator, is something to pay attention to.

Texas has always been a conservative state.

Still, it's interesting that the conservative who ran as an opponent to Washington won the GOP nomination and there was also a good showing for Debra Medina, the Tea Party candidate.

Just how angry is the country at the present state of things in D.C.? And is the anger coming only from the right?

I'm usually on the left but I am also fed up with our present dysfunctional government. Maybe it's time to throw them ALL out, Democrats and Republicans alike.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Perry is a joke.

I'm what you would consider conservative and I hope he gets his butt kicked in November.

I will even go so far as to say he needs to prove that he is really a Texan.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

No other outcome could have occured as Sarah Palin and the Tea Party backed him.

Another sign (should be) to the Dems...... You're days are numbered....

JAM321: Why do you think Perry is a joke? I would like to hear from someone from Texas and examples of him being a joke (Im from PA-no idea who/what he is etc [as it relates to his policy/actions etc])

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Another move that shows how the people really feel about what's going on in Washington. I don't understand why people can't see that Obama has an agenda and is going to follow -- the hell with the people!

Obama, during his campaign, was credited [and rightfully so in my opinion] with being extremely intelligent, down-to-earth, practical, in touch with the people of the US, able to understand the woes of the down-trodden, knowing common sense approaches to today's problems...

So what happened? Is he suddenly deaf? Blind? Did he hit his head somewhere along the way?

Despite knowing - hearing - seeing - and reading what the people of this country want, watching his fellow party members run for the hills, watch as he managed to lose Senate majority in only the first year of his term -- he pushes ahead. What can't be done by constitutional vote will be done by Executive Order! He said so himself during the State of the Union in the first 15 minutes or so as he passed yet another one to open his speech.

Democrats don't like his agenda. Independents don't like his agenda. Republicans don't like his agenda. And not many people like government as a whole right now.

Wake up people. This agenda will not stop no matter how many elections the Democrats lose and no matter whether they are left with only 20 votes in the Senate.

There is no other explanation to the blatant and reckless actions of our current administration and the continuance of such actions despite fully knowing what exactly the will of the people is -- or at least is NOT.

What else do you call it? Tough love? That we pay for? Gimme a break.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

If by this time, with all the anger and all the moronic politics been play at our expenses in Washington with the polticraps and corporate fats rats dictating our future you have not discovered that is not such thing as an honest politicians in this country then you need to start researching and looking at what we got in our nations running our nations right now.

And that goes for both side of the politicraps in the political game.

Any politician coming from texas smells like oil money.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

No other outcome could have occured as Sarah Palin and the Tea Party backed him.

Personally, I like to stick with the facts.

Sarah Palin backed him...the Tea Party wanted her to back Medina.

So Palin backed the Republican favorite...and the Tea Party backed Medina came in a distant third.

Why attempt to distort the facts? How can you say that the Tea Party backed him when that is just 100% false?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There's no doubt that Texas is a Republican state, the margin is not as great as it may seem at first glance. During the 2008 presidential election McCain garnered 55.39% of the vote to Obama's 43.63% for a margin of roughly 11%.

That said, Bill White (former Houston mayor) is the Democratic nominee for the state's governor. While White is well known in East Texas he is largely unheard of in the rest of the state, so needless to say he's got his work cut out for him.

I imagine that Perry will win the election in November unless he does something insanely stupid. In the meantime, White will make himself more known throughout the state and will have a more solid chance at office next time around.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Not too fond of a person who wants to take away people land to build more roads, especially toll roads. IMO, we already have enough roads that they have a hard time keeping up with.

After six years of bold plans, big talk and fierce pushback, the Texas Department of Transportation announced Tuesday that the Trans-Texas Corridor is dead, burying with it Gov. Rick Perry's visionary but controversial idea to string the state together with some 4,000 miles of highways, toll roads and rail lines.

www.dallasnews.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Let's not forget the Perry was the originator of forced Gardisil vaccines (conveniently hatching the plan after appointing a former drug company exec to his staff)

He's a total piece of # IMHO but BETTER than Hutchinson from what I've seen.

I'm not at all familiar with White so if anyone lives in his districts and has familiarity, please post some details.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

If I am not mistaking, White used to be the mayor of Houston.

As far as his accomplishment, I am not aware of anything spectacular.

Anyone from H-town want to chime in.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
White did a fairly admirable job of running Houston for the most part. He is well liked over here and I honestly can't recall any touch of scandal he was involved in during the six years he was mayor.

I do know he deftly handled the influx of displaced Hurricane Katrina victims who headed into Houston following the storm. Although he did catch some flak for the evacuation fiasco that occurred three weeks later when Hurricane Rita followed suit through the area. On a similar note, he was able to learn from those mistakes and the mass exodus that occurred shortly before Hurricane Ike struck land went fairly smoothly.

Overall, he proved to be a highly competent mayor. I think with more statewide exposure he will also make a good governor.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
...perry is a no to washington dc?... not even close... he's dirty and thats always been a yes to washington dc...

...research his financially motivated reasons for forcing girls in public ELEMENTARY schools to be vaccinated with merck's guardasil - and - be sure to investigate merck's clinical testing of guardasil and the evidence it proves v/s the lies merck tells...

...research his cowardly lack of action in the hurricane rita evacuation out of houston... people died and thousands suffered because he couldnt make a SIMPLE DECISION to open up the interstates to outbound traffic only...

...thats just two examples of what a worthless putz he is but theres more...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

White was an OK mayor.
Seems to be a moderate Dem.
Not hated. (which is a major plus for any Pol. these days)

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Perry is a joke.

I'm what you would consider conservative and I hope he gets his butt kicked in November.

I will even go so far as to say he needs to prove that he is really a Texan.

Well said. Anyone ever heard of the Trans-Texas-Corridor or Gardasil or the Bildeberger Group? Perry is a proponent of all three. He's a tool, as was his predecesor!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think White is the only true public servant running for Gov. of Texas.

In Houston, mayoral candidates don't declare party affiliation but Harris County was predominently Democrat in the last Presidential election.

Having lived in Houston for the last 43 years, I can't think of a better mayor that the city has had. Just off the top of my head; the city budget is balanced, traffic problems have improved dramatically thanks to his initiatives (safe clear & traffic light syncs), and he probably did more for the victims of Katrina than the Fed. Gov. He's unparelleled at garnering concensus; out of 13,000 city council votes he only lost three.

To me it's a real shame that folks are still looking at party affiliations when considering candidates. Perry will win Tx. simply because he's on the GOP ticket. But like others have said here in this thread, most think he's a crook who lined his pockets w/foreign investment dollars while he stole land from hard working Texas citizens. I think Perry has his eyes on the Whitehouse for 2012....

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

From my own research into her backround Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison has been anything but anti-government.... we atleast until recently. She had been supporting the patriot act, supported the reauthorization of losening any laws on wiretapping and she has been a continued support of the Iraq war. When questioned about withdrawing from Iraq in 2006 she stated that it's best 'we dont cut and run'. As if anything has changed over the years? The redeployement of troops from iraq war also opposed by her. She claimed she's pro-choice but her voting record proves otherwise. She was largely in step with the Bush administration and it should not be surprising why its the opposite with the Obama administration.

Perry? Well his an opportunist... there is a tonne of stuff I can find to be critical of this man but I assumed most are already aware. Im not sure about Houston Mayor Bill White. Its safe to say that if the rest of Texas dont know him, the rest of the nation dont either... may look him up.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Errrr, wrong/Fail: Perry joined up w/ the MAIN TEXAS Tea Party in early 2009. SOME Tea Partiers want someone else. Nothing big there-they are independent thinkers.

"The Tea Party movement celebrated a victory this week with Texas Gov. Rick Perry's surprisingly easy win over Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in the Republican primary for his re-election. Perry, who has already served two terms as governor, was able to portray himself as an outsider by backing those who want Texas to secede from the union and joining the Tea Party early on. He branded Hutchison as a Washington insider and she went down in flames". Source: www.marketwatch.com...

And, lets just say I am wrong to whatever degree. It won't matter now as I as pretty sure they will untied as one in the general election and BAMB- Perry wins.

But thank you. I did learn that there is at least one honest person out there that could admit the Palin does NOT control/or the head of the Tea Party movement. Thanks as I was beginning to wonder...

[edit on 3-3-2010 by anon72]

top topics

join