It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Video Shows Actual Chile Tsunami Hitting in Constitución, Chile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Just found these:

Pretty amazing. Commentator says it is the only known video. But more may surface (and they did).

This is the video capture from the 3rd wave at 6:30 am.

Also he says there were three waves, the first of which hit at 4:15 am and was 10 meters high!

The second wave hit at 5 am, and the third at 6:30 am. I am baffled at why there was so much time in between waves, given the close proximity of the town to the epicenter.

[edit on Wed Mar 3rd 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Must have been from another quake (not the 8.8) or somewhere else such as Indonesia or Japan, as it was completely Night-time still when the large 8.8 hit off the coast. as Conception is only a few tens of miles from the epicentre it wouldn't have taken long for the waves to reach there, just a matter of minutes.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

This is the video capture from the 3rd wave at 6:30 am. Crucial point. It was just getting daylight...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Also he says there were three waves, the first of which hit at 4:15 am and was 10 meters high!

The second wave hit at 5 am, and the third at 6:30 am. I am baffled at why there was so much time in between waves, given the close proximity of the town to the epicenter.

Ok..now were getting somewhere. I thought the same thing almost, not the time frame of the waves (which is odd now that I think about it) but why they would get any waves at all being right on the epicenter. Would'nt the waves push away from the center like a rock in pool?

Edit to add: Is it just me or does that wave move slower than I would have thought a Tsunami would move...don't they say it's a 500 mph wave ?

bumping this thread up too keep a eye on . s&f

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
A tsunami is a complex critter. It is easily reflected and refracted, its effects lasting for a very long time.

Check this thread (shameless plug).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/3/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hmm, it just occurred to me that the additional waves may have come from some of the aftershocks. One aftershock was like 6.9.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
And I just saw this video, which appears to be the FULL video, of scenes we saw from the 2004 tsunami. I don't recall ever seeing that entire video like THAT! This is absolutely terrifying:

disregard the title, which is wrong.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well so much for the only known footage...

Here is another video, probably of the same third wave....

And here is even more footage:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Another from Queule, Chile as a wave came in....

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Watching these videos I only get one thought. I thought tsunami's where supposed to be massive. All the videos here, even the more extreme one from a previous tsunami all seem... well.... short compared to what I was expecting..

I guess these are all examples of small ones?

I mean, they are still very impressive, and I definitely wouldn't want to be in the path of any of this. I just always pictured tsunamis as massive (20 foot or more) walls of water that destroy everything they touch.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

There's not a whole lot of videos of actual tsunamis, because they really don't happen that often, especially big ones. But if I remember right, one of the largest ever witnessed may have been the one generated by a landslide into a lake in Alaska, rising to over 700 ft tall. They found evidence of this in the tree line, and I think a couple of guys actually survived it to tell the story.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

There are some pretty impressive videos from the 2004 tsunami but what TrueAmerican said is correct about the rarity of tsunami.

Also, consider the fact that if you're standing in front of a 20 foot wall of water taking movies you're not likely to survive to post it on youtube.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
...heres a link to the tsunami in alaska - 1958 - 1720 feet... this is the monster size most people think of but thats because of movies / tv...

geology.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Another one, would have to be of the third wave...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Nice one buddy, thanks for linking me up to this thread, even though I have a little obsession with this kind of thing, its so fortunate that it did not thrust alot of water like 2004 as it hit shorelines all around the pacific basin.

anyways, time to watch some clips.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Sparkey76]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Yeah I know that one. Latoya Bay Alaska. Landslide tsunami. That's actually where the phenomenon was first witnessed and thanks to that event we know of other landslide hot spots that could generate super tsunamis.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yes, like the infamous La Palma, in the Canary Islands.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by DaMod

Yes, like the infamous La Palma, in the Canary Islands.

Well if what they predict could happen the way its been theorised, I dont think I ever want to see the video of that mega tsunami on youtube,
Lets hope the half a mountain holds out and never slips into the Atlantic.

new topics

top topics

join