It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say G'day to our beautiful planet in true colour, NASA's amazing Blue Marble images!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
G'day ATS, in this digital age, where images of space, supernovae, galaxies, the infinitely small, immensely large and everything in-between are as common as salt, we sometimes overlook our own beautiful planet.

NASA have released what they claim to be:

the most true-colour images of the entire world released to-date

I'll try and post them here, but if they turn out to be too large they can be found HERE.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c4c5eb95943.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/408bb803e29b.jpg[/atsimg]

The images of the Indian Ocean and North America were produced by astronomers at Nasa's using images from the Terra satellite more than 435 miles (700km) above the Earth's surface

The Blue Marble series was pieced together from thousands of images taken over many months by the satellite's remote sensing device MODIS, of every square kilometre of the Earth's surface.

I was going to post some information on Blue Marble but though that for a change, lets focus on the beauty of Earth, rather than the technology that got us the pictures.

What do you reckon ATS??

KF!

[edit on 3-3-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Absolutely stunning pics!

What's a bit worrying is, after so much CGI in films, without trying to sound pessimistic, they do look CGI-ish.

Maybe because they look so good that nowadays, my brain has been conditioned to question any such image of such amazing clear quality.

Still, very nice find, mate

[edit on 3-3-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
Absolutely stunning pics!

What's a bit worrying is, after so much CGI in films, without trying to sound pessimistic, they do look CGI-ish.

Maybe because they look so good that nowadays, my brain has been conditioned to question any such image of such amazing clear quality.

Still, very nice find, mate

[edit on 3-3-2010 by noonebutme]

I had the exact same thought my friend, it's hard to know what's real and what's not!

I think we'll just give them this one though. and ignore how much it's been touched up, it's not just the image but the notion of us living on such a beautiful planet!

Still, won't hurt to scan the pics for an all seeing eye or two!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well, sometimes you just need to sit and watch the beauty of this world. It's not "all gray".
Also, S+F.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nah that's CGI man there's no way there could be life on that planet!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

A planet so beautiful filled with people constantly destorying it and the greatest gift it provides: life.

The photos, while beautiful, hit me with a twinge of sadness knowing, individually we may care, but collectively we do very little to take care of our home or our brothers and sisters living in it.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

why is the coast of mexico brownish though?

not sure why the other oceans are so blue and that one looks like it has some sort of glare on it? from the sun? isnt that odd though?

maybe cgi then?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebulldog
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

A planet so beautiful filled with people constantly destorying it and the greatest gift it provides: life.

The photos, while beautiful, hit me with a twinge of sadness knowing, individually we may care, but collectively we do very little to take care of our home or our brothers and sisters living in it.

Cheers

On Mars they keep telling me Earth is made of ocean of hydrochloric acid and it's landmass is volcanic and poisonous and the green is copper oxide. No way dude! Can therr be life on Earth!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
After looking at all the planets you can really see how different they are all. They are all so different, but from the same solar system and quite possibly created from the same original material. I wish we could see all the planets in our own Galaxy as clear as these. Just from a quick view Earth looks like it reeks of life.

Mercury

www.universetoday.com...

Venus

www.universetoday.com...

Earth

www.universetoday.com...

Mars

www.universetoday.com...

Jupiter

www.universetoday.com...

Saturn

www.universetoday.com...

Uranus

www.universetoday.com...

Neptune

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
And just think, according to "experts" this is the only rock out there like this...hard to believe. Beautiful pics though.

After reading some posters comments on how it almost doesn't look real, I want to quote Morpheus from "The Matrix". How do you define real?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Why does nasa black out back grounds and tamper with their images?? enhancements or censoring?
www.youtube.com...www.youtube.com...
I think theyre ful of [beep]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
That top one just happens to be my desktop background lol. Obviously I thought it was stunning too!

top topics

join