It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Update: Alaskan Quakes Have Affected Yellowstone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
A powerful earthquake that rumbled through Alaska in 2002 has affected the geysers hot springs in Yellowstone National Park, a recent scientific study says. The study recently monitored 22 of the more than 10,000 geysers and hot sprints throughout the national park in Wyoming. The results have found "notable changes in their eruption intervals."

ABC.net.au "We did not expect to see these prolonged changes in the hydrothermal system," seismologist Robert Smith, who helped lead the study, said in a statement. Writing in the June issue of the journal Geology , Mr Smith and colleagues said they had recorded about 1,000 small and tiny quakes at Yellowstone after the Denali quake. They reported this phenomenon at the time. But they have since found out that hot springs and geysers were affected.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Back in March of 2003, our ATSNN Exclusive, Interview With USGS Yellowstone Scientists was performed before the USGS scientists had the results of this new study. While no one has denied Yellowstone is a seismic hotspot, actual eruption of the caldera super volcano has always been a "sometime in the future" prediction. This recent activity may indicate there is more possibility for an event in the near future. Related News: Alaska Quake Changed Yellowstone Geysers Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussions Yellowstone = Hell World Wide Seismic Event... Expanded Analysis of the Caldera Black Wind of Death Theory [Edited on 31-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Oh we'll be fine.

Although, all this doom and gloom does make the sunshine that little bit brighter!

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yellowstone has always seemed like a strange place to me anyway.

A few years ago we went there on vacation and to me the place seems almost like an alien world or an alien landscape.

It seems like a volcano getting ready to erupt. all of the geothermal vents there made me wonder how long it will be until it all goes BOOM!

Great report SkepticOverlord

Good reading.

I think everyone should visit Yellowstone at least once. it is an amazing place.

Gazz

join