It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who doesn't want You to have Guns? Frightened Cowards and "The Man"

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfire9
reply to post by Everton

HEY Disinfo agent I live in America and i have the RIGHT to BARE ARMS!

Definitely!

To hell with the man who wants to oppress me from wearing short sleeve shirts.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Whine Flu]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by polit

Originally posted by Sean48
OK, I had a conversation with a guy recently , can't rem who, but I tried to

use the recent fight we all saw , with Epic Beard Man and Amber Lamps.

That fight on a busy bus, ended up with a bloody nose , and foul laungauge.

Put guns on those 2 guys, and how many innocent people would have been

hurt or killed.

According to the follow up interview, EBM did have a gun and a knife.

To use gaming slang, pwned.

Warning, graphic language in the video below, just like the original fight video.

Now this guy is obviously troubled and has led a hard life himself. But it just goes to show WHY we Americans would feel better on the streets if we are able to defend ourselves. This old man says he also used a gun to defend himself in a separate incident, and says muggings had been attempted on him more than once before.

Originally posted by ColeYounger

Originally posted by dariousg

Originally posted by brainwrek

Originally posted by Sean48
It only make sense, that the need to carry weapons is an attempt to compensate for a man to make up for his "shortcommings". A real man should be able to stand up for himself, and his family, without the aid of a weapon. If a gun is needed to feel "Manly" , perhaps the problem is deeper, and medical help should be sought. My .02

This could possibly be the dumbest post ever made on ATS.

Congrats sir.

I must second this statement. Indeed, it is now among the most illogically reasoned posts I have read to date. What kills me is that there are millions of WOMEN gun owners too!

Allow me to chime in and 'third' your sentiment.

That would be at least 4 of us in agreement, but I already responded to that post earlier. You'll notice no one brought up anything about being "manly" or anything at all about masculinity until posts like this.

I have nothing personal against these people who take issue with firearms. I don't approve of violence in general either. I only have a problem with the idea that we shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms. It does not mean we are going to use them. We have that protection under our Constitution. If you know history then you know our founding fathers had to FIGHT for the Bill of Rights to be included in the debate halls. There were many federalists who wanted to ratify the Constitution as it was, without the first 10 amendments. These rights are legendary and they MUST be protected and exercised, ALL OF THEM, as much as possible!

[edit on 3-3-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by olfredbear
reply to post by Rybo666

Accidental deaths

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000. Accidental
deaths per physician.... 0.171
(U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
Number of accidental gun deaths per year: 1,500 (all age groups)
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Therefore, statistically,
Doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand.
So, remember: guns don't kill people - doctors do
Copyright Family Guardian

Uh...

Yeah, but who here with a gun ACCIDENTALLY tries to shoot someone?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Guns at bars...we all know alcohol and deadly weapons are a great combination, great idea

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Geez knowing the the epic bearded man was carrying a gun and knife... Well I now have a new idol!

Just goes to show just cause you have doesn't mean you gotta use it.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Guns at bars...we all know alcohol and deadly weapons are a great combination, great idea

I can't say I disagree. On the other hand, I doubt that the lack of such a law is stopping them even now.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I feel safe walking down the street at night not thinking about people with guns. If everyone was armed to the teeth (including myself), I would probably be scared and paranoid. Call me a coward if you like.

There are too many guns in the US for a ban. If there was a ban they would stay in the hands of criminals for the next hundred years. The only way you'll be safe from these evil people is with more guns and more bullets stored in your panic room.

Originally posted by bsbray11

Who doesn't want us to have access to firearms?

Cowards that are frightened of firearms, probably because they have no experience around them and don't know how to use them.

Me, and nearly everyone I know. Just because you have guns in your country doesn't mean we do too.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by brainwrek

I appreciate you calling me ignorant. It's easy to be an a hole on the internet, and no I don't know exactly what it takes to get a gun, i've never tried to get one. I didn't know it was a crime to have an opinion. You sound like one of those guys who thinks they're so superior to others. Like your opinion is the right one. I'm done with this because people like you ruin it for me. If you disagree with something than disagree, but the name calling is childish. Go sit in the corner with your gun and wait for the bad guys.....what a joke.

It wasnt name calling. You clearly arent knowledgeable on the topic at hand, so why choose to debate it?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by System
I feel safe walking down the street at night not thinking about people with guns. If everyone was armed to the teeth (including myself), I would probably be scared and paranoid. Call me a coward if you like.

I won't call you a coward. As I said to someone earlier, there's just a fundamental difference in the way that our cultures view firearms and firearms ownership. In reality, there's little reason for paranoia. 99.9% of America is perfectly safe and even though you may be surrounded by gun owners, they're not looking for any trouble. They just want to be ready in case it finds them.

As for the UK's 'ban' on firearms, it doesn't matter to me. If that's what you guys want, I can respect that. Its none of our business, just as its none of anyone else's if our laws allow it.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by System
Me, and nearly everyone I know. Just because you have guns in your country doesn't mean we do too.

You are "free" to ban all the things you want in England. I appreciated your response, and England is supposedly your country; you can do with her what you want.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Like alcohol and cars. We need to ban parking lots at bars!

In most states it is illegal to have a firearm (concealed or not) while drunk.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rybo666

I thank you for your reply, And I am glad you were able to get a chuckle. (sometimes a breather helps)

I understand, and respect your point of view. I have read, Many of theese types of threads, and participated in only a few, Unfortunately they "usually" degenerate into... "You guys are all a bunch of unstable vigilante gun nuts that want to kill everything" vs "You guys are a bunch of tree huggin hippie commie cowards that don't have the nads to protect yourselves".....

Wtih that being said though, many times there are some very,very, good "unemotional" (logical?) points that have been brought up and discussed,

What I have been able to "learn" is that there is a huge "cultural?" difference between most Americans, and most Europeans (sorry for lumping all together) concerning guns.

In my humble opinion, both sides of this "argument" have valid concerns..
Yet as an American, I am very leary of removing the 2nd ammendment,(no matter how "archaic" it may seem) not in as much as only for the fear of loosing my "right" to bear arms, But, for the simple fact that it may open an unexpected "can of worms" in regards to setting a precedent for the "rewriting" of our Bill of rights..

I know, there is already a "precedent" set for such.. IE.there is a "procedure" for adding or negating ammendments.. this procedure is complicated, tedious, and difficult, for a reason.. so that the government will be "constitutionally" unable to change our Constitution at its whim.

I have also learned that trying to "force" my opinion about guns, and laws pertaining to them is alot like me trying to "force" my house to scoot over a bit so my side yard is bigger... LOL

As I have stated, Both sides of this argument have merit, and I can respect differing opinions than my own on this issue, Yet in the end I will have to respectfully "agree to disagree" (without malice) to those against the 2nd ammendment..

I would like to further elaborate, but as seems to be an ongoing recent occurence, everytime I start typing, everyone and thier brothers show up and want to talk to me.... LOL I will return sometime in the wee hours...

[edit on 3-3-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I just re-read your stance to refresh my memory. I am glad you and your family could get out of Cuba. Your experience is one of the top reasons to have a firearm, the #1 reason of course is our Second Amendment right.

What's up with all the name calling and bickering in this thread? Jeez, how old are you guys? I have read every post and I find it hard to believe the way some people think. I'm not rehashing that point though, because posters like brainwrek are absolutely right on everything posted, and there's nothing I could add.

Everyone I know that owns a gun, and that is a high number, have never hurt anyone or killed anyone with their Evil Guns. And they don't have them out of fear because they are scared of some Boogeyman.

My closest friend has dozens upon dozens of guns, almost every brand and caliper made. He used to be a police officer. He is like most Americans and would die to defend his right to bear arms, period. Why does he have so many guns? He has collected them from childhood when his father taught him how to shoot as a small child. They had hundreds of father/son hunting trips throughout their lifetime. He loves target practicing. It's relaxing for him.
My boss loves to relax by going to the State Wildlife preserve and competing in the shooting of clay pigeons, and he also loves hunting. My point is that most people enjoy shooting guns safely and there is nothing at all wrong with that. This is America. Our freedoms mean more to us than anything because without our freedoms, we would for SURE be slaves as previously stated in other posts.

I guess the difference in opinions, (opinions by the way everyone is entitled to because of the Constitution), have a lot to do in respect to how you were raised and what you were taught growing up, where you were raised (country or city) and whether it was instilled in your soul growing up about what America stands for under the Constitution. It's obvious that a lot of people didn't get this installed correctly and that is truly a shame.......

[edit on 3-3-2010 by kennylee]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator

Why ban parking lot? People should still be able to park near bars. Drunk driving should be banned...oh, wait...it is

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This thread clearly shows that neither the Brits or the Americans are ever going to be able to change the thoughts and minds of the other. I myself carry for self defense. 7 years ago, I would have felt safer walking the streets of the UK, than I would the US. After living here in the US for nigh on 7 years, personally, I still would..for now. However, when reading more and more about the crime in the UK rising (whether it be knife, gun, or just physical assault) I can honestly say I am beginning to feel safer here in the US, knowing that, if it wasnt for myself carrying, then there maybe someone around me who is. Who has gone through the required training to carry concealed, has passed the fairly intensive FBI background check (at least, thats the procedure here in this state) and more than likely is not a crazed whackjob, and actually goes to the range on a fairly regular basis to get practise.

I came to the US, thinking the streets were paved with gold, it was the land of opportunity and everyone loved everyone..(alright, that last bit was an exaggeration, but you get my drift). I did not expect to face the high crime rate in the cities here, and I certainly did not expect to end up carrying, pretty much 24/7 (except for them damn blasted CPZ's). When you have lived here, and walked in these shoes, and seen the types of crime here, compared to the UK, then maybe, just maybe, your mind may change. I know mine did

So in closing, I really think that people carrying for self defense is a good thing. Chances are, if some crazed loon goes nuts and starts shooting up people in a mall, then the 1 person who may be carrying legally and for self defense of themselves and others, would be able to end that confrontation a lot more quickly, than having to wait for the police and the loon laying waste to more and more people, eventually, more than likely, taking his own life after maximum deaths.

Brits and Americans are never going to get over there love/hate relationships of guns or lack thereof.

These are my own thoughts, and if you want to interpret them as you want, then go ahead. Quite frankly, I dont care what either side think. I'm just giving my opinon.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Because I am knowledgeable enough to know that there are people on the streets that have legally purchased guns and probably shouldn't have been able to. I may not be 100% educated on the issue, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it. I'm sure you have opinions on things that you are not fully educated on. That is all I am trying to say.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stephanies-chase

There are also people out there who shouldnt have been able to purchase bibles, cars, hammers, axes, etc etc.

Demonizing the object instead of the person is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase

Because I am knowledgeable enough to know that there are people on the streets that have legally purchased guns and probably shouldn't have been able to. I may not be 100% educated on the issue, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it. I'm sure you have opinions on things that you are not fully educated on. That is all I am trying to say.

I see no problem with you "voicing" your opinion. In "MY" opinion, this is a way to get "feedback" and a chance to learn, (Deny Ignorance) as always, this only works if you keep an open mind.

This does not mean you have to change your opinion, it just means that you have the opportunity to obtain a greater understanding of the subject to which you are "opine-ing" about...

So, keep posting, and more importantly, Keep an open mind....You may "accidently" learn something... LOL ( I have, inspite of myself, learned alot, many times over..)

(edit to add) there is a difference between an "opinion" and an "informed opinion" If you keep an open mind, and are willing to learn, you will have many more of the latter...

[edit on 3-3-2010 by SideWynder]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator

Why ban parking lot? People should still be able to park near bars. Drunk driving should be banned...oh, wait...it is

That is exactly my point. It is already "banned" to drive a car or have a firearm while drunk. Most people who go to a bar don't drive drunk. Most people who have a CCW don't get drunk while carrying. Those who do either should lose their right to drive or carry.

It's the level of responsibility of the individual that determines the threat, not the location that it is taking place.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SideWynder

I have learned a few things from reading these posts. I am a very open minded person. This will always be a debate because their will always be people for guns and people against them. i will say that during my time here on ATS i've noticed there are a lot of people that ridicule other people for not sharing the same opinion as them. I do realize that guns don't shoot people by themselves, it's the person handling the gun. People are assuming that I feel guns are the problem. This is not the case.

Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement and don't worry I will keep on learning and voicing my opinions.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join