It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Sized Trolling

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Damn Doc, I could of been there.

The thing with pool and us cheeseheads (who the hell is Minnesota Fats?), anyone putting money on the table is frelling open season. Almost the same as whitetail deer hunting.

If someone is dumb enough to play for money in enemy territory, alls fair in love and pool.

I got suckered into that once in Marion Ohio. I thought I was a shark, but have you ever played nine ball against a group of people you have no idea who they were?

Yeah, that is one thing about the northwoods folk, if you ain't kin, you ain't #.

Many people do not realize that in the modern US. Especially the peeps from big cities.

I am glad my kin
did not do anything stupid.

Of course they weren't kin, but the same ATTITUDE I LOVE about places like Texas and my home state, is what I love about this country.

We are all about family, community, State, then Nation.

Not the other way around that our government TRIES to instill in us.

That is what will make us survive where the others will fail.

Family, community, and State! Not xenophobia, but basics.

If I ever go out and about this summer, I have to go down to Texas. I think I would FIT right in.

[edit on 3/2/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

All you said is the truth. Welcome transplant.

We open doors for ladies too. As I stated above I worked in NYC for a few years and one day this little old lady was walking up to a store with some bags in her hand, I rushed from a few feet away to get the door for her and she looked at me kind of crazy. She literally had a tear in her eye and said that no one had ever done that for her. I was sad.

She had to be 90 years old.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Don't forget all the mesquite you can care to introduce a smoker to!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I opened my own door. Of course that could be because I'm always with my husband or sons, and if they don't hold the door for a lady, I'll let em have it!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
So OP. How do you feel about Tejas now? You see we are nice, but we will kick your A@@ if you mess with us. Come do a couple of shots of Cuervo with us, I know you will love it.

I will S&F just for bringing us all together in the same "room". You sure do lack them on this one.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Sound like they will grow up to be gentlemen. Lucky you.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Don't forget all the mesquite you can care to introduce a smoker to!

Heh. I do love my mesquite.

But I will offer this bit of advice for anyone visiting the far west and southwest side of Texas — dress accordingly. That side of the state is so harsh that every plant is barbed and thorny and hooked and poisonous and menacing.

I'm not going to subject you all to another story, but suffice to say I've been stuck by prickly-pear and hung by catclaw more times than I care to remember, and it's not pleasant. Neither is the surprise of stopping in at a roadside rest area way out in West Texas, taking off your boots and stretching your legs, only to get stung in the ankle by one of those little white scorpions. God Almighty.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
If I ever go out and about this summer, I have to go down to Texas. I think I would FIT right in.

For a very strong and agreeable Texas experience, I would recommend the Texas Hill Country, that area west of Highway 35 between Austin and San Antonio.

I used to live all over that area, driving my tank dry, taking in the scenery, the strong German culture, the many geological curiosities, the many fine women — whose acquaintance you simply must make.

When you ever get ready to visit that area, I can give you a list of places to hit, off the beaten track, far from the madding crowd, that are quintessential Texan.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If anyone, Texan or otherwise, is looking for a good time ... Might a suggest a road trip to attend The World's Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up?

Four days of fun, even for the whole family.

Parades, Carnivals, Indoor/Outdoor Flea Markets, Gun and Knife Show, Cook-Off Contests, Guided Snake Hunts out in the West Texas landscape, Snake Charmer Beauty Pagents, Live Entertainment, etc. etc. so on and so forth ...

The year will be the 51st Annual Round-Up.

It's probably too soon to make plans to attend for those of you that aren't too close, but there's always next year.

Sweetwater has also been dubbed The Wind Energy Capital of The World, so if looking at THOUSANDS of Wind Turbines sounds like a good time to you .. Then you'll be hard pressed to find a better spot.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

A friend of mine has two OTR trucks and has asked me to make a few trips this year. I may give you a U2U this spring to get the list.

I have travelled in the US, but have not done the Texas trip yet.

That is one thing I love about the US, it is many countries in one. The things to see and the people to meet.

Oh, the girls accents in southern Missouri use to melt my heart.

The look of Lake Tahoe when I drove in on a full moon.

The trip I made through Idaho, Oregon and Washington where I saw the Columbia river, vineyards, the Astoria bridge, Mt Hood, Mt St. Helens etc etc etc.

Just one photo here that I took, I have about 750 from that trip-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01fc0c1e7476.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the location on google-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4870f7fedfba.jpg[/atsimg]

I took that at night and increased the light using computer software. This country is beautiful. Others have asked me if I have gone to other countries, and my usual response is that I have not seen my own yet!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Contrary to popular belief, TX is not all tumbleweeds and saloons.

shush now! Thats what we want the "Out of Towners" to think!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The look of Lake Tahoe when I drove in on a full moon.

Um, for breathtaking, try driving into Albuquerque, New Mexico at night, under a clear, starry, moonlit sky, coming from the Sandia Mountains. The mountains abruptly stop just outside Albuquerque.

So, you clear a crest, in the dead of night, with a brilliant, bejeweled sky above....

And the whole, glittering city of Albuquerque suddenly rises up from below, into your field of view.... It's like seeing the mothership from the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind in the middle of a moonlit landscape.

You've gotta keep your hands on the wheel and keep your wits about you when you see it. It's beautiful.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
every plant is barbed and thorny and hooked and poisonous and menacing.

...that is SO not true... allow me to present exhibitionist numero uno - SAGE - no thorns, blooms after a shower, turns the whole hillside lavender - ahhhh - makes me wanna sing songs about texas...

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
taking off your boots and stretching your legs, only to get stung in the ankle by one of those little white scorpions. God Almighty.

...gosh, i've had worser thangs in my eye...

...i used to be a hotshoter too back in the early 90s but not your kind... i ran over, errrr, uh, across your kind ocassionally, on really slow days... was an all gravy job - i miss it...

...anyhooters, about gettin' bit - theres this story they tell newbees about not getting down on the asphalt to check your load at night cuz rattlers cover the road from shoulder to shoulder, suckin up that heat to help process the last yankee they ate...

...ever run down 16 south towards freer?... its a "gotta go" in the spring for the tarantula migration... them suckers can JUMP... its messy but its cool... o'yeah, if you really wanna have fun, dont warn your passengers...

...grrrr, cant get youtube video to post - owell, just pretend its there...

[edit on 3/3/10 by Wyn Hawks]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

Some people do not realize the size of Texas.

Here is a picture comparing Texas to Alaska, some distortion to fit on screen but everything is comparative in nature.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/467ffab7bf5c.jpg[/atsimg]

Texas and Alaska are countries unto themselves, in size!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

That sounds like a trip I took into LA coming down the grapevine. Now, of course there you had the smog, but the lights from the city lit the smog up like it was almost a halo effect on the city. Kind of weird but beautiful.

I did not get a chance to see the red mountains over there. I have seen some photos, my one aunt and uncle spend their time in the town-have to look it up-it has the old London Bridge that was transported there.

Like I said, this country has some of the most majestic views, you could spend a lifetime trying to see them all.

I spent one night on the tip of Cape Cod and that was awesome.

Okay, I think you and I have totally sidetracked this thread, sorry OP!

To many C&C's

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/467ffab7bf5c.jpg[/atsimg]

Sarah, meet Rick. Rick, Sarah.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Okay, that was pretty good humor!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

It really was funny!
I laughed so hard I snorted (Yes I am a snorter when I laugh) and scared my cat!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

...alxandro - you're dangerous... i think i woke up the neighbors...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
allow me to present exhibitionist numero uno - SAGE - no thorns, blooms after a shower, turns the whole hillside lavender - ahhhh - makes me wanna sing songs about texas...

Look, I could have listed sage, bluebonnets and indian paintbrush as the less-offensive vegetation of West Texas, but you don't have to dress yourself in leather chaps to wander through a field of sage and bluebonnets.

It's when you get out there in the Chisos and Chinati Mountains of West Texas where you better be wearing leather over anything that you don't want stung or stuck or clawed or jabbed.

I've been out there backpacking for weeks at a time, and it's one of the harshest survival situations I've seen.

...gosh, i've had worser thangs in my eye...

You've been hit in the eye by something worse than one of those little white scorpions?

I doubt it.

Those scorpions are LETHAL to children and old people, and they'll make a grown man think somebody is trying to pull his skeleton out his ass hole with red-hot pliers.

I don't scream. But I screamed when I got hit by one of those goddamned scorpions. I've been hit by rattlers and copperheads, and it's not very pleasant, but I never screamed when I was snake-bit.

I SCREAMED when the scorpion popped me. YIE!

i used to be a hotshoter too back in the early 90s but not your kind... i ran over, errrr, uh, across your kind ocassionally, on really slow days...

Thanks. I REMEMBER you guys running us off the road up in Arkansas. We were driving a six-wheel Isuzu flatbed (with that goddamned Lazy-Susan steering wheel), through the horrible roads that wind through the Ozarks. Yeah, we had two-ways, we knew who was on our asses, and here come a convoy of these 18-wheelers zooming through at 80 mph. A WALL of transportation sweeping through the valley, right?

Yeah. Sons of bitches.

There are signs all through the Ozarks, the Boston Mountains, all through those mountains, signs warning that, you know, 625 People Have Been Killed On These Roads This Year. Will You Be The Next One? SLOW DOWN!

And the signs are electronic, so they can change the number of people killed daily, and it just keeps going up. And here come these goddamned convoys running way over the speed limit, hogging their way through the Ozarks, and shame on you if you get in their way!

I mean, hell, you guys are running a hot load of string-beans to Utah or WTF ever, and just blew us off the road on one of the most dangerous highways in the country.

But, I know, you pay your road use and other taxes, so, you guys literally own the road.

But, wait, don't get me wrong. There's always going to be some little disputes and arguments between truckers — that's a given. There's a lot of veterans out there and a lot of rookies trying to break into the business, and there's always conflict.

But I think that truck drivers are some of the finest, smartest, most technically accomplished and vital individuals in the country. You want to bring the nation to its knees? Piss off the truck drivers — they'll shut the country down.

If the bastards would quit bickering and get organized.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/3/2010 by Doc Velocity]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join