It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we do it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the proper board for this topic, but since it's somewhat psychological in nature I figured here was better than anywhere else. So, what I'm wondering is that why do we come to a place to ATS to discuss fringe topics? We like to think that what we discuss here will eventually change the world or that we will unveil the truth to the world. Yet, I think everyone here has had periods of disillusionment where they realize that everything we do here doesn't really change what happens in the real world and that everything will continue as it always has. Even when we are on the edge of a major discovery that thought always remains that it won't matter. So, what is the motivation of ATSers to be here? Is it that we are satisfied to know the truth? Is it because we are able to quell these thoughts and hope beyond hope that we will make a difference? Or is it the simple thrill of the hunt? So ATS, what drives you to explore these topics that the mainstream won't touch?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I come here to learn, plain and simple. I learn not only scientific things but I learn more about human behavior than I ever have anywhere else.

I will admit though, sometimes I come across a thread that I find so ridiculous that I am drawn in out of pure amusement. So I guess I also come here to be entertained somewhat.

Also there is more news on here than on any of the mainstream news outlets and you get the "take" of people from around the world on those stories.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
We like to think that what we discuss here will eventually change the world or that we will unveil the truth to the world.

Speak for yourself mate, I come here for personal understanding and truthseeking.

Frankly, the world can change on its own...I am having enough issues trying to change just myself.

The world is made up of individuals, all finding their own paths to their versions of the truth. If your path crosses anothers and you share some of your findings and they share with you, then great...but the point is not to singlehandedly change the world, its to find yourself within the everchanging world.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

The search and discussion of truth.
Second line.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I find it easier to find like-minded questioners and malcontents here. Discussion in the real world is getting harder and harder to find.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People are more apt to speak their mind, and such where they cannot be physcially persacuted for such said things.

You also get a broader range of thoughts and ideas here then you do from the people at the local coffee shop..

ATS and sites like it serve as a melting-pot of thoughts, ideasm and persepctive.

We do it for our own reasons, as various as they are.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm not really here for conspiracies. I am here for the paranormal, cryptozoological, mysterious, and sometimes creepy stuff. I haven't found a better website for it than ATS.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm here because its the best site on the net and a great place to have ideas challenged.

That said yes I did come here initially thinking it would help me chnage the world. I've given up on that as my idea of the ideal world is not shared by everyone. I would have to impose it on others.

Other than that I come here because I have not found a place in the society I was born in and find this site a great place to escape too. Maybe I am a sucker for news that confirms my cynical view of reality.

Finally I come here because of the wonderful moments when a memeber comes forward with a well written thread or supremely intelligent discussion. I learn from them.

This site has helped mature my view of the world and opened my mind to possibilites while dissolving my previously rigid view of how things should be. At the same time its made me realize that everything should be questioned and analyzed instead of taken as truth, simply because it fits my preconceived notions.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Fair enough.

About twenty minutes ago Cnn ran a story about the woman in Texas running for Governor. The issue with her is her belief that 911 was an inside job. They even asked her straight out and used the usual mocking condescending tone describing her. When confronted, she fell far short
of taking up the truthers side, while making sure not to abandon them
at the same time.

You can't count the number of times MSM has had to cover 911 in this light.
So there in lay the answer to your question.
I once knew a man who said," if the river makes noise, there must be something in it".
To analogise. If we can keep the river that is the MSM making noise,
(dosn't matter what noise ) then just by that noise alone people will start to
wonder what the noise is all about ? And why won't it go away? There are spots in there game like this that they are very weak or ignorant about.

Why let it rest just making them talk about it is in our favor.
Most politicians will tell you they don't watch or read the news.
Can you imagine why? I can.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
world. Yet, I think everyone here has had periods of disillusionment where they realize that everything we do here doesn't really change what happens in the real world and that everything will continue as it always has.

Oh! but your wrong. Change happens slow. This is a great platform to launch that change. Many of the threads on ATS have changed my views on so many topics. ATS and it's great "free thinking" members are where change starts. I for one am honored to be a part of this group.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I love ATS because the people here always have so much input to give on many very interesting topics. One of my favorite things to do is go through the recent posts section and reply to people's threads that have just gotten started. I personally don't like clicking on a thread that already has like 600 posts within it. I like to find fresh new threads, and they are always in abundance.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The answer is simple: If we couldn't come here, where would we go?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I come here because it is one of the only places that I can find smart people that know what is going on and don't always talk about sports and TV shows. You can change the world by coming here and learning things and passing them along "Planting the seed". I do feel bad that I have "infected" so many people and they now find the things that they used to talk about useless and unimportant. It is nice to be surrounded by like minds and people who care about the important things that affect so many of us.
Many "important" people come to ATS and read the stuff that we talk about. Ever heard a world leader talking about stuff that sounds like they found it here?
Hi, Mr. Hugo Chavez

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The best way I can characterize spent on ATS to those outside the community is "intelligence gathering" - that seems to sum it up nicely.

gj

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
We want validation.
We seek to hang with more of us.
We're looking for *something*.
It doesn't trip the filters at work?
It's a break from one-handed typing?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's simple for me. I am in college, yet the only conversation I participate in with those around me usually involves the media, what is on tv, what party to go to this weekend, ect. These things are not very relevant to me, and I am looking for a way out. I also find that moving away for college you meet people who are here to get their diplomas and get out. I have made several friends, but most, if not all, are friends that I see on the weekends and no other time during the week because we all go to class and what-not.

I have not shared personal experiences and deep thoughts with many here, as it is looked at differently. I find the topics on here interesting and I can relate to many of them. I am also in the field of psychology so I am here at this forum more than most. (not to mention I love metaphysics). This forum dives deeper than the average thought. That's my kind of thinking.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Many of us (I know I do) maybe feel that somethings isn't quite right with the way the system works and seek validation from like minded folk.

with the wide range of topics here one can find that they aren't the only one feeling this way

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
i come here to learn and understand topics of information from other peoples points of views so i can sharpen my own points of views,

i dont think your understanding that, that alone does make an impact on the world, everything you do does.. so saying that sharing information isnt doing anything is like saying that the sky isnt blue, without ever looking at the sky..

top topics

join