It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Opinions on the Ruger P944 Keeper or Sleeper?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So look I picked up this Like new Ruger P944 (.40 S&W) Just a couple of hours ago so I haven't had time to do anything with it... only thing I can say right now is it feels pretty good...
this one is stainless steel and alloy frame, 3-dot combat sights, 1 12rd mag, and a grip activated Laser Devices Inc. laser sight (cost almost $300 alone). Also holster that excepts the pistol with the laser sight mounted. All told I spent just over $350 for it....

Now here's the thing "My" only experience with the Ruger P models was like 20 years ago and back then they were horrible pieces of crap...

That was then and this is now... anyone have one? do you like it. yes, no???
is this something I should swap at the next gun show or is it a keeper???

Would appreciate any thoughts
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It looks very much like my p89. I love it! It runs flawlessly.
It is the davidson edition which just means a different finish and jazzed up grips, but all in all it holds it's own against my glocks. Let me know what you think of it when you actually get a chance to give it a run through.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've never run across a ruger that wasn't a keeper. Never owned one myself, but I've friends who wouldn't know what to do without theirs.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Until Bill Ruger's living offspring come to kiss my feet and beg forgiveness for what that SOB did to kill the 2nd to cover his own ass and line his own pockets I'll never buy a Ruger product.

Every one of them is tainted with blood from the wounded Bill of Rights.

The greatest FU to the public is now Ruger is trying to grab a hold of the AWB fear money with their repackaged tacti-cool garbage in the form of an overpriced AR and a Tapco-ed 10/22 and Mini-14. A fear Ruger had more than just a hand in creating.

Screw Ruger.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Interesting. And I was going to buy a Ruger. But how many other arms companies have done similar?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

As far as I know aside from Ruger Colt was pretty consumer unfriendly. They have changed their tone of late having lost the bulk of their government contracts. Still, no apologies from them and I'm sure should the fed offer them another big contract they'd be right in Obama's lap telling us evil consumers why we dont need high cap mags or bayonet lugs.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I know how you feel however if it makes you feel better I didn't pay the $575 MSRP together with the laser and Bianchi matching holster I dropped $360 for the complete rig... The holster laser combo are worth at least $230 on their own...

Still I did take note in the large Used vrs New price something I would call significant

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Just a side note, I took my boys to the rage just this weekend and even with my carharts on I was doing the whole shivering teeth rattling thing... the boys had a great time though..The things we dads do for our kids right???. Going to be a while, (Warmer Spring weather) before I go again....

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Its a good gun and Ruger has great customer support. I give it a

Also as a side note in the US it seems 40 s&w is the easiest ammo to find.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't know, but I do know that I am rather happy with my old Ruger Security Six 6" SS .357

But then again, I prefer a wheel gun to a semi any day. Sadly, .38 Specials seem to be easier to find than .357 right now, ammo-wise.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Its a good gun and Ruger has great customer support. I give it a

Also as a side note in the US it seems 40 s&w is the easiest ammo to find.

I would argue 9mm is easiest to find, but 40 S&W is fairly easy. Especially with LEO's converting to it.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Me I'm a Big Bore fan have quite the collection of Dan Wesons .44 MAG
now those are getting hard to find, glad I reload otherwise I'd be SOL

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My cousin is pretty hot on the Taurus .44 because of the barrel porting. And he's pretty much a Taurus fan in general. I would consider a trade to the Taurus .357 7 shot. The loss in range and power is made up for in the extra round and faster return to target in my opinion.

But to keep things on track: I don't know the gun OP. But it looks solid from the pic and sounds like you got a decent price from a motivated seller. So long as the mechanic are smooth and it shoots towards your mark, you should be satisfied.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I had 2 Ruger semi's, have since ditched both. The only exception is the LCP I picked up for concealed carry. I swapped that for a keltec pf9 and have no regrets whatsoever. It's the smallest, lightest gun I've ever had and it shoots a fair group, only gripe is .380 ammo is a biatch to find.
Given what you paid for it and the number of other pistols I presume you have, I would swap it for something I wanted more.
For myself I'm looking for a ruger 10/22 magnum, ever see those?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I've been waiting to see one too... was announced they would have a 10/22 Magnum in the 2010 catalog but I just checked and it wasn't there????
maybe their custom order only or there was a production problem???
you can order the mod kit to convert a 10/22 to .22 mag. I did that to one of mine and first day out on the range one fellow made me a large cash offer I couldnt say no too...

Could be after the .17 hmr recall disaster their holding off until that, not so small prob dies down... to bad all the ammo companies are going to quit making that nifty little round was a fun shooter ya know

PS... smallest, lightest gun I've ever had was a S&W model 19 .357 with a 1 3/4 snub and very small rounded handle... when loaded wit silver tips it was all you could do to hold onto it... not enoght grip to that tiny grip

[edit on 2-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Can't go wrong with .40!

However all the sighting gear etc, haul that off for a while and get a few bullseyes at the range using bare bones targeting. I'd do this from time to time with any hand gun but you probably know that lol!

If a .40 can't stop something from moving then probably nothing less than an automatic will do lol!

Not experienced with this piece but I know .40 and it's definitely a good choice in any form! Stopping power deluxe and just enough kick to let you know it's a lethal piece of equipment.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

You brought up something very important in your post and I just want to touch on it, for those who haven't had the chance to play with a laser sight...

In broad daylight you cant see the dot... I'm talking under full sun like out at the range... maybe they make more powerful ones??? but these smaller ones that mount to a pistol...no... I have three of them now their all from different Manufactures but pretty much all the same in performance

I will say in low light when its just getting hard to see the front sight (You all are watching the front sight, right?) That Laser shines like a beacon and can be quite intimidating all on its own...

A big disadvantage to the under-barrel laser is it will really slow you down if you practice the rock and lock, quick draw technique... maybe it's the holster that was made for this laser but what ever the case I just cant seem to do a smooth draw without the laser catching on the lip of the holster. If I do keep it I'll have to find a good leathercrafter make a new breakfront type

[edit on 3-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

When was a P model a piece of crap? Thats a joke right. Its one of the few weapons designed from the ground up to take +P+ ammo out of the box. It will NOT fail and it will run when other weapons like the Sig and Beretta crap out. Mine has over 30 thousand rnds through it and the only issues came from the after market mags!. You can find a lot of people say it was ugly and heavy but few, if any, will say it wont run with the big boys. In fact the P85 in fact for the selection process for the service side arm it was the only weapon to meet all the quals but one. It was eliminated because is could only achieve a 2.75 inch grouping and the maximum was 2.5.. It was the first photoed underwater in the hands of Navy Special Warfare becuase it could fire underwater and its still one of the strongest designs ever produced. My carry weapons is a Glock because of its size and fire power but if I was in a SHTF situation and could only grab one short gun it would by my old P89. When I was in we had the options of carrying the newly issue M9 our old Colt or our Personal weapon. I carried My 89 for three years and never thought twice about it.

I don't know where you got your experience but I would have to say it was off a blog because the workings of the weapon you have a photo of differ little from the original P85 and you wouldn't be asking if it was a keeper if you knew anything or had any real "Bad" or other experience. In fact in police circle the P90 (45acp) is considered one of the most reliable and "bombproof" weapons out there.

In reality this post isnt even for you but for those novices who pass up a $375.00 P series for a $500.00 glock because of ignorance. But onthe up side IM ALWAYS looking for another P series so if you want to get rid of it give me a call.
P Series are just the opposite of Crap they are the ultimate sleeper and in the long run will smoke just about anythiing else ouside the VP-70

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If it works for you, great, if it doesn't well its a weapon and it seems that things might be harder to get in the not to distant future, so even if you don't need it and you have it now...it would ..in my opinion be worth having...if only for trading, because any weapon will be worth a lot of anything else if we end up having to go back to a barter system...or even if you sell it 1 year from now..it could be worth its weight in gold...the way things seem to be going...so if you have it, keep it.

new topics

top topics

join