It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet now Third as Source of News, overtaking Newspapers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The Internet has surpassed newspapers as a primary way for Americans to get news, according to the Pew Internet and American Life Project. That makes the Internet the third most popular news platform overall, with many connected users taking advantage of nontraditional consumption methods such as social media postings, personalized news feeds, and getting their news on-the-go.

National and Local TV news is still number one, with the Internet coming in third
overtaking Local newspapers.

There is hope for the newer generation to see through the MSM's BS if they are
looking for the news on unbiased web sites.

A full third of those with cell phones said that they get their news while mobile, and 37 percent of those with Internet access reported having contributed to the creation of news themselves, commenting on it, or disseminating it via Facebook or Twitter.

arstechnica.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm not surprised to read that. Internet and smart phone access is quick and easy and efficient. Not to mention, most likely to be relevant (i.e. quickly updated). I don't know anyone that still reads the paper, these days. Except for those who are killing time at the coffee shops and need something to do. Even then, I think it more a matter of habit, than anything else. It's been this way for years. I think it will continue to be so. Newspaper will probably not go away soon, but it is now an "old horse"...

ETA:

According to Pew, newspapers were most likely to be read by people who were over 50 or those who don't own cell phones—yikes.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm not at all surprised. It's my only way of getting news. I watch TV, but I don't consider most of it to be news.

There's something about having a search engine at my fingertips that makes the Internet most appealing to me. When you see something on TV, you can't delve further than what they want you to hear. It is spoon-fed to us with layers of agenda deciding what we will be exposed to. No thanks.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I get all my news from ATS. Soley. Scary, isn't it?

But seriously, I agree with Benevolent Heretic. When I get my news on the internet, I can immediately search for the background information I need to make an informed opinion. It makes me part of the process, instead of just a recipient.

However, I love to read. I typically will read a novel a week, sometimes more or less depending on work schedules. And I can't stand the new devices that allow you to download books onto a handheld device. How's that for wierd?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Not at all surprising. It won't be long until the internet is the number one way to get news. The only news I watch on TV these days is my local 9 pm news and that's because I like our weather guy...he's goofy and fun

I also follow a lot of the news outlets on Facebook and Twitter.

top topics

join