It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China eyeing perks of ice-free Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

China eyeing perks of ice-free Arctic

news.yahoo.com

China has started exploring how to reap economic and strategic benefits from the ice melting at the Arctic with global warming, a Stockholm research institute said Monday.

Chinese officials have so far had been cautious in expressing interest in the region for fear of causing alarm among the five countries bordering the Arctic, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) said.

"The prospect of the Arctic being navigable during summer months, leading to both shorter shipping routes and access to untapped energy resources, has impelled the Chinese government to allocate more resources to Arctic research," SIPRI researcher Linda Jakobson said.

Canada, Denmark, Norway, Russia and the United States are already at odds over how to divvy up the Arctic riches, claiming overlapping parts of the region -- estimated to hold 90 billion untapped barrels of oil -- and wrangling over who should control the still frozen shipping routes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/2/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I really don't care if you believe in global warming or not...the science is there if you would only open your eyes with an open mind. But regardless of denials and claims that this winter is proof that the whole idea is false...the ice is melting and sea levels are rising...and you may not believe this but governments around the world know this and are planning accordingly. Case in point is China who mind you has no coast line bordering the arctic...still they are considering just what this melting means to them.

Now I personally believe that certain areas...the oceans...the arctic and the antarctic should be considered commons and not this or that country's to claim but that is not going to happen.

Still what happens in the polar regions over the next century is going to affect us all both negatively and possibly positively as well.

It bodes watching.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Don't even think about it China! Arctic belongs to Canada and Russia. Split the arctic in the middle and we'll call it even.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It belongs to Norway as well, and some of USA because of Alaska. That is why it is hard to say just Russia and Canada, because there are countries/states bordering the arctic.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The Chinese desperately need ice. Yes, ice. They are already tapping deep fossil aquifers a kilometer down and will have completely exhausted their fresh water resources by 2020 or so. Hauling icebergs from the arctic and harvesting them may be the only solution to their water crisis.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Gosh guise. They sure are committed to the "global warming lie," huh?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
According to one of my family member who's quite high in the canadian government, there's a program of ``protection from northern occupation`` by the chinese because of the artic melting.

They think that we must create cities in northern Canada in order to deter Chinese immigrants to go install themselves there and then claim northern Canada as their own.

This is also aimed at Russia.

But it seems to me that such a move would constituate a declaration of war against NATO? Anyway, they have this program up and running...

The existence of this program shows really how the canadian government is afraid of chinese or russian occupation in our nortern territories...

After all the program is named something like ``Program for preparation against foreign occupation``

And BTW, you call me a liar all you want, but my family source is a total sheep and ain't in government conspiracies.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Most governments are pragmatic...especially one's like China's...if global warming were a lie not only would the arctic NOT be melting China would not be so interested.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
reply to post by Kaytagg

Most governments are pragmatic...especially one's like China's...if global warming were a lie not only would the arctic NOT be melting China would not be so interested.

I think China needs to clean up their over polluted, environmental rape before they start shipping in water. Even pandas are forced to feed out of dumpsters now.. No more bamboo for you panda! Who cares about global warming, I care more about the rape of habitat and frivolous dumping than I do about emissions. Believe me polluted ground water, air, and habitat will do us in long before GW will.

FYI, there has been a heating / cooling cycle going on for a long time. I guess most global warming enthusiasts intentionally overlook data from the past and other evidences that support that the current gov produced data is intentionally botched.

I understand, it's hard to be proven wrong.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

FYI, there has been a heating / cooling cycle going on for a long time. I guess most global warming enthusiasts intentionally overlook data from the past and other evidences that support that the current gov produced data is intentionally botched.
I understand, it's hard to be proven wrong.

The Earth does go in global cycles of cooling and heating, hence the last Ice Age 10,000-12,000 years ago. But recently in the past few centuries, we have been exhausting loads carbon dioxide, which were underground, into the upper atmosphere. This carbon and other molecules known as "Greenhouse Gases," disperse around the globe evenly and absorb/trap the heat from the sun. This intern has sped up the heating part of the Earth's cycle, which has never been done before.

We don't want a run away Greenhouse Effect because we think something similar happened to the planet Venus and now it is full of carbon dioxide.

Yes, the recent "climategate" has confused things, but Greenhouse gases do absorb and trap heat that is forsure.
en.wikipedia.org...

To the OP, China has zero claim to Artic land, but could trade Chinese made toys for some.
I think their idea is to change their and our shipping routes, making it even cheaper to import goods from China.

If they could ship goods from China through the Bering Straight and the Artic Ocean around Canada directly to New York, the rest of the East coast of America, or even Europe it might be a less distance and thus cheaper.

Map of North Pole
www.solarnavigator.net...

[edit on 2-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaModWho cares about global warming, I care more about the rape of habitat and frivolous dumping than I do about emissions. Believe me polluted ground water, air, and habitat will do us in long before GW will.[edit on 2-3-2010 by DaMod]

Don't you understand environmental degradation and global warming are opposite sides of the same coin?

Be that as it may this is not a thread about that topic perse.

top topics

join