It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Happenings in Louisiana

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Possibly the best documented skinwalker beliefs are those relating to the Navajo yee naaldlooshii (literally "with it, he goes on all fours" in the Navajo language). A yee naaldlooshii is one of several varieties of Navajo witch (specifically an ’ánt’įįhnii or practitioner of the Witchery Way, as opposed to a user of curse-objects (’adagąsh) or a practitioner of Frenzy Way (’azhįtee)). Technically, the term refers to an ’ánt’įįhnii who is using his (rarely her) powers to travel in animal form. In some versions men or women who have attained the highest level of priesthood then commit the act of killing an immediate member of their family, and then have thus gained the evil powers that are associated with skinwalkers.

The ’ánt’įįhnii are human beings who have gained supernatural power by breaking a cultural taboo. Specifically, a person is said to gain the power to become a yee naaldlooshii upon initiation into the Witchery Way. Both men and women can become ’ánt’įįhnii and therefore possibly skinwalkers, but men are far more numerous. It is generally thought that only childless women can become witches.

Although it is most frequently seen as a coyote, wolf, owl, fox, or crow, the yee naaldlooshii is said to have the power to assume the form of any animal they choose, depending on what kind of abilities they need. Witches use the form for expedient travel, especially to the Navajo equivalent of the 'Black Mass', a perverted song (and the central rite of the Witchery Way) used to curse instead of to heal. They also may transform to escape from pursuers.

Some Navajo also believe that skinwalkers have the ability to steal the "skin" or body of a person. The Navajo believe that if you lock eyes with a skinwalker they can absorb themselves into your body. It is also said that skinwalkers avoid the light and that their eyes glow like an animal's when in human form and when in animal form their eyes do not glow as an animal's would.

A skinwalker is usually described as naked, except for an animal skin. Some Navajos describe them as a mutated version of the animal in question. The skin may just be a mask, like those which are the only garment worn in the witches' song.

Because animal skins are used primarily by skinwalkers, the pelt of animals such as bears, coyotes, wolves, and cougars are strictly tabooed. Sheepskin and buckskin are probably two of the few hides used by Navajos; the latter is used only for ceremonial purposes.

Often, Navajos will tell of their encounter with a skinwalker, though there is a lot of hesitancy to reveal the story to non-Navajos, or (understandably) to talk of such frightening things at night. Sometimes the skinwalker will try to break into the house and attack the people inside, and will often bang on the walls of the house, knock on the windows, and climb onto the roofs. Sometimes, a strange, animal-like figure is seen standing outside the window, peering in. Other times, a skinwalker may attack a vehicle and cause a car accident. The skinwalkers are described as being fast, agile, and impossible to catch. Though some attempts have been made to shoot or kill one, they are not usually successful. Sometimes a skinwalker will be tracked down, only to lead to the house of someone known to the tracker. As in European werewolf lore, sometimes a wounded skinwalker will escape, only to have someone turn up later with a similar wound which reveals them to be the witch. It is said that if a Navajo was to know the person behind the skinwalker they had to pronounce the full name, and about three days later that person would either get sick or die for the wrong that they have committed. [1]

Legend has it, skinwalkers can have the power to read human thoughts. They also possess the ability to make any human or animal noise they choose. A skinwalker may use the voice of a relative or the cry of an infant to lure victims out of the safety of their homes.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by Katie

Originally posted by Blender
If I hear one more person say "you shouldn't mess with ouija boards" I'm gonna crack.

To those of you who fear the ouija board - You actually think something that you can buy at ToysRus has the capability of invoking a spirit?

Ouija boards are not real they are a MYTH. Anybody can research it on the internet and find this out.
Oh, they are real. I saw one once.

As far as their power..... They are merely trinkets.

It is the minds of the people that believe in them that are the source of the power.

It is the power of suggestion.
Like being hypnotized.

Of course they are real. Go to your local toystore if you want one. I don't think he meant that they dont exist, I think he meant they aren't real as in they don't actually work.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I believe your lieing but if your not do this. Get a cat, if it dies get another. Check your computer, all sites you go to see if anything has changed and change passwords if you use them. The tall trenchcoat man could just be that a man, if its another entity if you see it then it probably does not see you, if it sees you 'do not see it'.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If you are believing this story as of now, would you continue believing if the OP told you he once taken a picture of a Fairy? How about if he once saw a little 2ft long mermaid creature at a booth at a fair, or dreams of Grim Reapers and Ferocious dears?

Check out the OP’s posts. Im not condemning the OP, but I m a “facts” only guy.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

In that sense, anything can be a placebo.

Idols, crystals, music, incense, digrams, sigils, etc. also known as "Foci" can be used as a placebo to induce an altered state of consciousness.

The belief in the object, not the object, is the source of the power.

In other words Ouija boards are still nonsense. Entheogens on the other hand are a whole different story and are definitely not placebic foci.

[edit on 2/3/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If you're a "facts only" guy, then you might want to go to SportsIllustrated.com, because that's pretty much the only media outlet that contains hard facts. The rest of it is opinions, ideas, and discussions. That is waht si supposed to be going on here, just a discussion about somones ideas. If we had facts about these things we would all be rich!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Blender

You need to 'chillax' a bit, that was humor!
Here........
I give you gifts of Smiley face and laughter!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by smashing31

So they can Immitate other people's voice's?

I dont usualy talk about Ghostly phenomena, but there is one expirence which does spring to mind.
A while back, I was in my bedroom reading a book. I had my bedroom door closed. When suddenly I heard someone, who sounded like my brother shout "DAD!" it was quite loud too. And it sounded as if it came from outside my bedroom door.
Then my dad, who was also up stair's said what, and came into my room.
It turn's out that my brother was out, and my dad thought I called him. But I didnt.

That and two other unrelated weird event's have happend. Although, I think I can identify what the other one was, by being on here and chatting to some other member's.

[edit on 2/3/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I havn't done much research into skinwalkers, but it reminds me of a number of things I have heard about Djinn, especially Ghouls.

There are traditions in the Middle East and East Africa dealing with Djinn and Hynenas. Some of its pretty freaky. Some of the pre Islamic African tribes still leave their dead outside the villages at night anointed with blood and oils for the Hyenas to devour. The stories mostly involve the shapeshifting Hyena ghoul things, preying on the dead, digging up graves to consume corpses and such.

From personal experience in that part of the world, there can be some very spooky noises at night. The kind that spook the locals and the animals.

Edit to add: Traditional Ghouls are not zombies, thats some Western addition. More traditional Ghouls can be found in the horror writings of H.P. Lovecraft. They can also be found in various games by the title of Gnolls.

[edit on 2/3/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
I am willing to bet that the author of this post is just posting a story for a book or something that they are writing. it is written well and categorized.

Are you making a movie... writing a book... what?

You shouldn't teast ppl like that op

This is exactly what I thought when I read the paranormal account.

I'm not calling hoax but just voicing my suspicions.
Louisiana is a hot bed of film and movie making with great film departments in most of the larger Universities.

This sounds like what screenwriters call a "treatment"
Float a story out there to get the reactions of a targeted audience on the www. and also to fish for alternative scenarios, characters, locations, endings, twists, etc.

Truth be known, I've done the same thing with some of my "treatments"...

Being as how the OP hasn't responded to many posts for quite awhile; I'm thinking he/she got what he/she came for.

My apologies if I'm wrong. Great story btw. Need a producer/director/crew?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I beg to differ. Most posts have an idea backed with some level of fact. A fact could simply be some photos of the area or a sketch. Notta here though.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The American Indians have many legends about them as well. They say they can take on the entire, or partial form of animals, as well as imitate humans. There is alot more than that, but that alone is pretty freaky. If you ever talk to any Native Americans ask them about it. Most likely they'll clam right up and get really freaky about it.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Bingo!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Thats pretty much the same as the Ghouls. I think the main difference in the lore is that ghouls usually wait for people to die. An example would be someone alone lost in the desert at night while dying of dehydration. The entire time he would be followed and harassed by the ghouls. Once he fell they would be all over him.

Ive heard they can't enter homes normally either, they have to be invited in or draw their prey out of the home. Kind of reminds me of European foklore about vampires and lycanthropes.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the Mothman!

Get ready for some catastrophe.....

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I woke up to see myself standing at the foot of my own bed in a lumber jacket and a tuque.
reply to post by davec0021

Is a tuque a type of hat?

This sounds similar to something that happened to me a few years ago.

I was sleeping in (college student, go figure) and it was about 10:00ish in the morning when I woke up. Typical sleep paralysis event, which I'd had trouble with before. Couldn't move, terrible feeling of pressure on chest, panic, overwhelming sense of evil, the whole shebang.

Only thing different was this time there was something standing in my bedroom door.

It was a large man in a red plaid shirt, the thick kind that is almost a coat. He had a dark knit hat (we call them toboggans in the South) pulled low over his head. He was standing with his head thrust forehead, chin down, just glaring at me.

The feeling I got from making eye contact....seriously malevolent.

Hopefully it was just a dream induced or inconjuction with the sleep paralysis event. By I find it interesting how many people have seen the lumberjack man.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Isn't it kind of weird how alot of these "mythical" creatures have numerous similarities. I think it's possible that there are unknown creatures out there, but I think there have been several legends spun from the same creature in different cultures, and therefore we have several names or legends about the same entity.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I began reading the first line of this thread and straight away in my gut I could feel an increasing growing sensation, and I wanted to cry HOAX.

I personally have not read any more than the first page, so I thought it best to reply straight away. I have an overwhelming gut sense that this thread was manifested by a group of people to see if it would fool others, am I right?

Normally when I get this gut sense I am 100% correct. You can U2U me if you want to tell me I am right and I will stay away and not say another word.

You cannot fool a person that devotes their life for another life.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Mothman?? Nah!! The equation elements are more than obvious:

Louisiana university + fraternities + sororities + dead cats + spooky noises + supernatural vultures + collective bad feeling = Practice of black magic.

I insist what I said in my prior comment. He should do those procedures!!! I hope he'd read it.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebox

Originally posted by euwhajavb
Well it is Louisiana, but it's also LSU. I'm not familiar with any stories, I moved here from Georgia a few months ago.

Hmmm... Jackson County -

On Walker Road, witnesses have claimed to see the apparition of a tall man dressing in black attire walking through rooms in their homes during any given hour of the night or day. Residents have also made reports of strange noises and vibrations that comes from the ground; sounding and feeling as if some invisible train were coming through.

Source

All my life Ive been waiting for someone to mention that "Invisible train". Since I remember Ive been visited for different kind of extraterrestrial (I don't like the term "Alien").

When I was about 5 years old, It was this entity, tall and look like he was made of neon lights. Here is the connection. Every night he came, it was this "train" sound anouncing he was coming. It happened so often, that I used to wait awake in my bed. My sister and me shared the room and she never woke up whith the loud noise, also this entity sometimes banged the door against the wall when come in the room, but not even my parents could help me, so i decided to let him do his things. He became gently and made me levitate on my bed. He didn't hurt me, but I grew up in a different way than other kids. Now I am in my 40's and have a lovely family.

Thanks for bring that info.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join