It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANTI-ABORTION LAW BECOMES DEADLY!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well, if there was another reason to keep abortion legal, I think this is one of them.

Snippet from source:

Nicaragua's Anti-Abortion Policy Endangers Women, Criminalizes Doctors, Experts Say

Fearing prosecution under strict anti-abortion laws, doctors in Nicaragua have refused to provide chemotherapy to a woman with cancer because she is 10 weeks pregnant.
Photo: Nicaraguan Doctors Refuse to Treat Pregnant Patient: Fearing prosecution from strict anti-abortion laws, doctors in Nicaragua are refusing to provide life-saving treatment to a woman with cancer because she is ten weeks pregnant.
Nicaragua's total ban on abortion means that doctors face jail time if they provide any service to a woman that harms the fetus, such as treating cancer patients with chemotherapy.
(Getty Images)

Nicaragua's total ban on abortion means that doctors, and the women they treat, could face jail time if they provide any medical treatment that harms a fetus, even if they are trying to save the mother's life, according to Amnesty International, the human rights group. Chemotherapy can be harmful to an unborn child.

source:
abcnews.go.com...

A woman should always have the right to choose, and in this case, a woman also has a right to life.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Disgusting. Personally i am against abortion. I find it to be a barbaric and vile practice should it be done for convenience sake. We are so much more sophisticated medically speaking. But i digress this is a far more complex issue. It's akin to a mother and child falling into dangerous river rapids and a family member or bystander must decide who to save. It's a terrible decision that must be made. Regardless of the decision, one life will be lost and one saved. I can not even fathom how horrible this must be for the mother.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I didn't read the entire article, however what about performing surgery to remove the cancer at least? It's usually ok to give anesthesia in the first trimester, and then after delivery start chemo?
She should be given the right to live, this is a very bad situation, I have no clue what I'd do in that situation, have the chemo and risk losing the child, or wait throughout the nine months and deliver and then start the chemo, but at least I'd be given a choice. Is it that imminent that she will die today if they do not give her the chemo, or can she go ten months? In killing her by not giving her the help she needs they'll inevitably kill the fetus, anyway...this is tough to tell, if she will (can) live the next 30 weeks, then they can wait.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It's things like this that make me pray for the end of the world.
Yah, so we die. Whatever. At least it will put an end to this bs.

And why is it that the governments only care about a child while they remain in utero, and then couldn't care less about them until they reach military age?

[edit on 1-3-2010 by TokiTheGreat]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

Thank you for showing some truth and tact. It is important that these practices stay legal for those who need it. Not for the teenager that screws up on prom night.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Thank you for your reply, I could not agree more.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheGreat

Indeed. And this is the world that we have all collectively chosen. We could of had it all and this is what we came up with???

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Regardless of the decision, one life will be lost and one saved. I can not even fathom how horrible this must be for the mother.

Incorrect.
One decision will allow the mother to live
The other decision will allow both to die.

She wasn't getting the Chemo for a ingrown toenail, now she will die and the baby will also die due to the whole being not born aspect...

The government doesnt give a rats arse about either mother or unborn frankly, they only care about control through religion...and the stronger they appear towards that, the more control they have over the population.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think you're right, and its only going to get worse. This is what America is trying to become.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry

I think you're right, and its only going to get worse. This is what America is trying to become.

No, it wont become.

Why? because the neo-conservatives had America for plenty of years, fully catering to the most extreme examples of their party and they did nothing about it. Since then, things have toned down and become more moderate.

Dont get me wrong, some far right president hopefuls will say they will see what they will do simply to cater to those types of people, but thats only for a vote, no president or congressman will actually do anything about it. Religious people can be exceptionally gullible in this sense.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry

No, it wont become.

Why? because the neo-conservatives had America for plenty of years, fully catering to the most extreme examples of their party and they did nothing about it. Since then, things have toned down and become more moderate.

Dont get me wrong, some far right president hopefuls will say they will see what they will do simply to cater to those types of people, but thats only for a vote, no president or congressman will actually do anything about it. Religious people can be exceptionally gullible in this sense.

I am no more of a fan of the Bush administration than you. But, I've finally concluded that all of these people work for the same thing. Themselves.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think abortion is okay after a certain amount of months. I did a research paper in 10th grade about abortions and I discovered that in early-stage abortions, the fetus doesn't feel anything because it hasn't developed a fully working nervous system to feel the pain. So I'm okay with early-stage abortions, but late-stage abortions should be completely banned. If the child is 8 months old and the woman gets an abortion, the child is going to feel indescribable pain. I believe woman have the right to choose what goes IN their bodies (drugs, alcohol, etc) and what goes OUT their bodies (cancer, babies, etc). If a woman gets raped and decides to get an abortion 8 months later, the doctor should say NO! What the hell were you doing for the past 8 months that you couldn't get an abortion 5 months ago? Great find OP.

new topics

top topics

join