It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercy Killing of Children

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I fully support "mercy killings" for adults, especially if that person is basically knocking on death's door. Children? I don't know. I guess I would have to say the same thing, although I hate it. As long as both parents and the child's doctor are in full agreement about it and the child has less than a week, I guess I'd be ok with it.

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
The only thing that they are concerned about is profit.[edit on 2-3-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

I had to quote this because it is true.

My Grandmother died in July of 2005 after having spent a week in ICU. Barely a week later, my Grandfather gets the bill in the mail. She had stayed in this particular hospital many times before for just as long, and had always been able to go home after she stabilized and was doing ok. Even then, they would always wait a good 2-3 weeks to send any kind of bill. And this was a nice, small town hospital too. I'm willing to admit that someone might have just not been thinking, or maybe they just really needed the money. Still, it made me kind of sick.

And it's not just that, I myself have had many instances where I was at the Oncologist's office and they wouldn't even draw my blood before the insurance had cleared. I know its normal, but it really is crazy that money comes before people's health.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Did you really need to post the entire former thread in order to reply with a sentence?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Its a complicated issue and after 15 years in the PICU there is no easy answer.

My bottom line after seeing more kids suffer than I care to ever admit, the ultimate decision right or wrong lies in the hands of parents. If they feel thier little one is suffering needlessly they can and do put a stop to things.

I have extubated (Taken off a ventalator and removed the breathing tube) more kids after a nice dose of morphine and placed them in parents arms so they can have that last measure of comfort before they depart. Some go fast, some linger, but they are pain free and at peace.

I have also sene parents flog kids beyond human reason for no purpose and seen thier children endure weeks and months of pain and agony for no reason other than whatever issue grips those parents. Should they be stopped from doing that? YES with a But ........ I cannot come up with a system that would do so and respect thier rights at the same time.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

Did you really need to post the entire former thread in order to reply with a sentence?

I have no idea what you're referring to.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thank you FredT, and I am in agreement with you.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Agreed Dock9. In situations like that, there should be no hesitation about the course of action.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

No hesitation? Really? Just call it happy, and slip the needle into the child or adult?

Of course there should be hesitation. You're taking a life. Can you bring that life back? Don't be so quick to take it, if you can't.

In the case that Dock9 referenced, that would be every parents worst nightmare come to life...

Honestly, I've no idea what my decision would be in a case like that. I might, after serious thought, and prayer, come to the same conclusion that many here apparently would. But to say without hesitation? Oh, I'd hesitate...

What treatments are available? What sort of life do older children or even adults live who have this, or any other conditions such as this? What treatments may become available in the near future?

Where there is life, there is hope. Hope for a cure, or treatment that can enable a person to live a full life... It sounds trite, and maybe in some cases, it is...doesn't make it any less true.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

When something is suffering beyond all comparable belief, there should be no hesitation as to the course of action. Further hesitation brings further pain. But, that is my personal opinion.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

...and you are certainly welcome to it.

We agree to disagree here.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A "cure" that for a disease one is about to die from after it has ravaged your body - that cure would be too late.

This isn't a case of people getting a diagnosis and then just killing a child.

This is the child is going to die, and soon. Painfully. Terribly.

A cure found today would not save them. It might even be more horrible knowing that if only it had been found a couple of months prior your child knows they could have lived. But they won't, because their body is going to die from the ravages of their disease soon.

Their pain isn't ethical to begin with. Do you understand that. That sort of pain if it were inflicted by a person, you would try them for being a sadistic torturer. It already mets the standard of infliction of an ethics violation.

When a small overdose could save days of horror, towards and INEVITABLE end - give it.

Do no harm - when SUSTAINING harm that cannot be corrected, you are inflicting it.

[edit on 2010/3/9 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

The point I'm trying to make here...as an outsider who's never been in such a situation...is this: We don't know what treatments/cures are around the corner. Diseases/conditions that render life an ongoing misery today, won't necessarily be such tomorrow. I''m not advocating doing away with the option of ending a life of unremitting pain and suffering...god alone knows what I'd do in a like situation.

It's an ethical slippery slope that should be tread with caution. Abuse is a given...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Its a complicated issue and after 15 years in the PICU there is no easy answer. My bottom line after seeing more kids suffer than I care to ever admit, the ultimate decision right or wrong lies in the hands of parents. If they feel their little one is suffering needlessly they can and do put a stop to things.

This is a reasonable example of what a complex issue it is. Each and every life is 'sacred,' valued and worth fighting for. The decisions aren't taken lightly.

Health professionals, parents and carers have to make choices and live with them. This isn't sitting on the fence...each case is different and has to be evaluated as such.

It's not a black and white issue...not discussion forum rhetoric. There's a time and a place for mercy killings...let's not overlook those who make the decisions and those that carry them out.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Kandinsky]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join