It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile Earthquake Shifts Earth's Axis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This might be something that you want to know. It may mean nothing, but, I'm sure something like this has some sort of profound effect whether we are aware of it or not. So, have fun educating yourselves.

Snippet from source:

By Alex Morales

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

Source:
www.businessweek.com...

[edit on 1-3-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
We ain't seen nothing yet. Many more earthquakes will hit hard in the next couple of months. California will be next, and it's ain't gonna be pretty. Japan will also be hit very seriously. But unfortunately, i cannot prove any of this for it stems from inner knowing.
Interesting article by the way, thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
By "shortened the day", they mean maybe a fraction of a second. Still should be taken account of, I guess.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese
We ain't seen nothing yet. Many more earthquakes will hit hard in the next couple of months. California will be next, and it's ain't gonna be pretty. Japan will also be hit very seriously. But unfortunately, i cannot prove any of this for it stems from inner knowing.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking as well, but, maybe not in that order, or quite that specific. But, we'll be seeing a lot more.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
By "shortened the day", they mean maybe a fraction of a second. Still should be taken account of, I guess.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by seattletruth]

Yeah, I'm sure it has to add up at some point. Especially if these quakes continue like they are.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Not to be rude, but this was already posted in the alternative breaking news forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Not to be rude, but this was already posted in the alternative breaking news forum.

I wasn't aware. If it already was, I'm sure the mods will get it shortly. Thanks for informing me.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese

I hate to rain on parades here but...

earthquakes happen every day. Most are usually unnoticable, but the USGS tracks them.

But I do have to say, there's been a strange amount of "serious" quakes in the ring of fire. What volcano is due?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

You're not raining on parades, but, there has been a few LARGE ones recently. We might want to take notice.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This topic is being discussed here

Please post your comments in this earlier thread

.....Closed.

new topics

top topics

join