It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skinput turns your arm into a touchscreen (w/ Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
www.physorg.com...

Quote from source:

If you find yourself getting annoyed at the tiny touchscreens on today's mobile devices, you might be interested in a "new" yet overlooked input surface: yourself. A new skin-based interface called Skinput allows users to use their own hands and arms as touchscreens by detecting the various ultralow-frequency sounds produced when tapping different parts of the skin.

Skinput is a collaboration between Chris Harrison at Carnegie Mellon University and Dan Morris and Desney Tan at Microsoft's research lab in Redmond, Washington. The researchers have shown that Skinput can allow users to simply tap their skin in order to control audio devices, play games, make phone calls, and navigate hierarchical browsing systems.

In Skinput, a keyboard, menu, or other graphics are beamed onto a user's palm and forearm from a pico projector embedded in an armband. An acoustic detector in the armband then determines which part of the display is activated by the user's touch. As the researchers explain, variations in bone density, size, and mass, as well as filtering effects from soft tissues and joints, mean different skin locations are acoustically distinct. Their software matches sound frequencies to specific skin locations, allowing the system to determine which “skin button” the user pressed.

Sorry I could not post the video as I couldn't seem to download it or get it from youtube.

I don't really know what to think of this. Yes, it does seem interesting and could evolve to be something very useful but to me, the size of the armband is too big. It would be to awkward to wear with any sort of comfort.

I don't know, maybe if it was smaller...

It seems like a good idea though.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

A little offbeat but interesting nonetheless!

It does seem a step in the right direction in regards to designing computers to interface with the human body more naturally.

I don't think I'd like to be one of the first to use this technology.

Imagine that. Tapping your arm in various places then seemingly having an out loud conversation with yourself........

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Is this the same thing as the device that guy (an Indian dude) made from MIT?

join