It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England's Wave after Chile Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I thought you would find this interesting, the day after the earth quake in chile, a tsunami warning wwas given only to the pacific ocean. However, I mentioned on a thread that the possibly of something happening here in the uk, and, as predicted, it did.

The after math the pacific ocean to may have caused a reaction of the sea's around the world in regards to sea levels?.

Here, are some pictures to show you of yesterdays event in Redcar, Cleveland, UK.
the sea was swell of two metres or more, At Redcar, survey work began this month in preparation for a new, multi-million pound sea wall.

the after shock of the event in th town

[edit on 1-3-2010 by anonymousproxy]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Nice photos anonymousproxy,

I lived in the West Coast of Scotland for many years and would see waves like this occur all the time.

Is it unusual for waves like this to occur in that area?

There appears to be seawalls set up already.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Nice photos anonymousproxy,

I lived in the West Coast of Scotland for many years and would see waves like this occur all the time.

Is it unusual for waves like this to occur in that area?

There appears to be seawalls set up already.

-m0r

Thank you m0r1arty, what a lovely place west coast of scotland is. Yes, we have walls but the sea has cracked the walls in when this happened and they are building new sea defences, something at this magnitude is very unusual.

Although i do not know much about the sea, I know that at this height is unusual

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Thats more likely attributed to the massive low pressure system affecting the sea and France, rather than from an Earthquake. It certainly doesnt have the characteristics of a Tsunami wave

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
That's simply due to the monster storm that is churning out there.. Those are normal WAVES. a Tsunami is a wave with a constant height behind it. (just like a storm surge).

This system will be hitting the UK soon--it's amazing to watch. Looks almost like a Hurricane.. Very interesting system. Strong!

Check it out-- the Low is crazy... (Thats what dumped the record snow in the east coast of USA)

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
That's simply due to the monster storm that is churning out there.. Those are normal WAVES. a Tsunami is a wave with a constant height behind it. (just like a storm surge).

This system will be hitting the UK soon--it's amazing to watch. Looks almost like a Hurricane.. Very interesting system. Strong!

Check it out-- the Low is crazy... (Thats what dumped the record snow in the east coast of USA)

can you show me more weather satelites on the uk please?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Nice photos,
I immediately knew from the first picture that I was looking at Redcar sea front and have seen waves come over that wall many a time in the winter months.
I do not honestlty think that what we are seeing there is in any way related to the chilean earthquake. Geographical location makes this very unlikely. I think what we are seeing there is a high tide and a strong northerly wind... Ideal fishing conditions for cod down at runswick bay or cowbar

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
Nice photos,
I immediately knew from the first picture that I was looking at Redcar sea front and have seen waves come over that wall many a time in the winter months.
I do not honestlty think that what we are seeing there is in any way related to the chilean earthquake. Geographical location makes this very unlikely. I think what we are seeing there is a high tide and a strong northerly wind... Ideal fishing conditions for cod down at runswick bay or cowbar

PEACE,
RK

they have never gone as far as going in to the town centre

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
this is a great thread!!! i love the topic i think that it did effect all of the oceans it was a 8.8 magnitude it blew the floor of the ocean apart and its shifting things around that are unstopable

Replaced 'All Caps'

Please read The Use of ALL CAPs

[edit on 2/3/10 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousproxy

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
Nice photos,

PEACE,
RK

they have never gone as far as going in to the town centre

Anonymousproxy,
By "The Town Centre" I am assuming you mean Redcar High Street and I would agree with you there, but looking at the severity of the sea in those photos, none of them will make it over the seawall and the +/-100metres uphill to the High St either (maybe at the south end near the bus station but it is closer there).

I have seen boulders and lots of debris washed up onto the road on the "front." I remember half of saltburn pier being washed away in 1974 and later the 10,000 tonne oil tanker "Freja Svea" being driven aground onto the scar 2 miles offshore Redcar during severe hurricanes in 1993.

For some reason I can not see pictures 4 & 5 so maybe I am missing something, but those seas in the photos are the result of a combination of recent high "spring" tides and hurricane gales from the North, they are nothing to do with Tsunamis.

The last picture that you posted of the double arch stone bridge and the flooding river is to my recollection not even in Redcar Town, so I cannot see how it is "the aftershock of the event."

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I expect another round of ice shelves breaking off of antarctica in the next year from the Chile earthquake.

A large wave of long amplitude will break the ice shelf where in connects to land.

And later in the year as the sea currents and winds get moving in the right directions this freed ice will move away from antarctica.

A number of ice shelves broke loose after the indonesian earthquake.

And the global warmers blamed global warming without looking at the actions of long period waves like tsunamis would have on the interface between grounded ice and floating ice sheets.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
wattsupwiththat.com...
wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
You'll also be seeing pictures of the River Severn and Dee Bore from today which are 8ft in height. These are NOT Tsunami in nature, they are regular Tidal influenced waves that travel opposite a rivers outflow, upstream its tributaries until the energy of the wave is exhaused by the gradient height.

I saw the pictures on the BBC this morning and I'm just surprised noones started a thread about it already, so im fore-warning you all before anyone does.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
EMERGENCY repairs were under way on the Redcar sea wall today after high tides and crashing waves caused a huge hole to appear.
Part of The Esplanade had to be cordoned off yesterday after a gaping, 12m-wide hole appeared in the sea defences beneath.

A combination of "high spring tides" and heavy seas caused the hole to appear over the weekend towards the Marske end of The Esplanade.

Yesterday morning, and with a high tide due at 4pm, Redcar and Cleveland Council engineers had to hurriedly decide how best to shore up the wall

Huge slabs of concrete had been washed away, exposing the compacted sand underneath.

Several paving slabs on The Esplanade path were also washed away or dislodged.

The situation raised fears that a heavy tide could wash away more of the exposed sand and make the hole worse.
Rubble was crammed back in as a temporary measure before work started today on a more permanent repair using quick-drying concrete.

By high tide at 4.03pm yesterday, a few more paving slabs had gone, but the temporary repair was doing its job.

The aftermath:

More photos of the tide

[edit on 2-3-2010 by anonymousproxy]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
They should get that repaired asap,
If it gets any worse, they could lose the Zetland Cafe

Good pics, thanks for posting

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

With the big spring tides and recent hurricane maybe causing tidal surge, i would not be surprised seeing a big bore running up the severn. That will get the surfers out

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Thats more likely attributed to the massive low pressure system affecting the sea and France, rather than from an Earthquake. It certainly doesnt have the characteristics of a Tsunami wave

Precisely..considering that cleveland would have been on the wrong side to be have hit anyway..
The only massive wave thats hit north east England in the last thirty years has come from India and Pakistan....the wave of immigrants.
Although the weather up there can be bloody rough (im from Hull, so i should know) we are not exactly tsunami material.
A good north sea storm is equally as frighting, especially if your a fisherman.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by andy1972]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymousproxy

It was just an expected high tide combined with stormy weather and had nothing to do with a tsunami.

This often happens in Redcar and the surrounding coastal areas.

I was in Redcar on Saturday night having a night out at a good friends pub and nothing untoward was happening, (well for Redcar anyway).

Oh, and the last picture you posted in the OP is nowhere in Redcar that I know and certainly nowhere near the Town Centre.

new topics

top topics

join