It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible sightings in Hungary and Slovakia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
People in parts of North Hungary and in Slovakia have experienced unusual sound and light phenomena on Sunday night. The rhythmically repeating sound and light occurrences were heard and seen in the large area from Kassa to Záhogy, but the majority of observations were registered in the Ózd, Kazincbarcika, Miskolc and Putnok area. According to people's descriptions, authorities thought it was a meteor shower, but the area over these phenomena were experienced is too large and no craters have been found neither. Furthermore, people saw a white light, but the light that can be seen at the time of a meteor shower is red. Another possible explanation is that it was an unusual meteorological event, similar to Polar Lights, but that is never accompanied by any sound. As the explanations above do not seem reasonable, it is also possible that it was an UFO. The Disaster Management is still investigating and looking for people who have witnessed this mysterious phenomena.

Link to video: video.boon.hu...

Found on the RSOE website today, happened last night.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The RSOE map has a new icon flashing in the area in question.

Link: hisz.rsoe.hu...

click on it and then click details for the information, it's kinda cool.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

craters are rarely foudn and that is a good thing since if meteorites start leaving craters, well long story short lets just say the dinosaurs arent around anymore thanks to a meteorite.

These people are witnessing typical solar activity but due to education levels are unable to make sense of what their seeing on a scientific level so they lean towards the supernatural and UFOS.

there does seem to be alot of unusual activity in that part of the world in the last few years. that or perhaps their level of techology has reached a point where now they can reach out to the world with their stories. I wonder how many stories we missed before they got the internet, or computers.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa

craters are rarely foudn and that is a good thing since if meteorites start leaving craters, well long story short lets just say the dinosaurs arent around anymore thanks to a meteorite.

These people are witnessing typical solar activity but due to education levels are unable to make sense of what their seeing on a scientific level so they lean towards the supernatural and UFOS.

there does seem to be alot of unusual activity in that part of the world in the last few years. that or perhaps their level of techology has reached a point where now they can reach out to the world with their stories. I wonder how many stories we missed before they got the internet, or computers.

That wasnt a meteorite, an ASTEROID dude..
And metorites most often burn up in the atmosphere thus
not creating craters. BUT with high enough velocity they CAN
make a sonic boom..

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
yes yes, i was referring to the quote "meteor storm" described by OP.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Lightning maybe? I did not see anything out of the ordinary in the video.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

whatever it is, let's hope its not earthquake lights again

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

G'day habfan1968

Based on the very generalised nature of the report & the lack of information in the video, I find it very difficult to arrive at definitive conclusions regarding this case.

If pushed to guess, I would say it is lightning or a meteor shower, as per other members before me.

I will have a look around to see if I can find any other reports of meteor showers or storms in that region.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
According to Magyar Nemzet (Google-translated page, the event has been confirmed to be fireballs by Astronomical Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences: but in my humble opinion we'd need the help from some Hungarian speaking fellow: Donoso and Outrageo kindly applied to The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry , i've sent to both them an U2U.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

G'day internos

You certainly do have a "black belt" in researching these topics.

I reckon I looked through 50 links & couldn't find anything!

Maybe I needed a new Hungarian phrase book.....

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa

On one hand you do make a point saying people are having problems explaining things beyond their scientific imagination and/or knowledge, and tend to lean towards easy solutions such as "omg, it's gotta be a UFO" however your post reeks of borderline racism claiming people from Eastern Europe are unable to make sense of these sightings due to poor education levels, and that stories like these only come out nowadays because of former lack of internet and/or computers. This is completely ridiculous and very condescending. With all due respect, you are speaking of countries that have a richer history and culture than the United States...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am from Slovakia, and it was presented as a meteor in mainstream news. Slovak science academy estimates that it was 0.5 - 1 meter in diameter and exploded about 30 kilometers above ground, accompanied by a bright flash and a loud sound after 90 seconds (thats probably where the 30 km distance comes from..).

Our education system has its share of problems, but I think that it is pretty similar in quality to US education.

Heres a video of the event:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I find it very uncomforting to know that more and more meteors this size are not burning up in our atmosphere before getting close to the ground. Maybe is has always been this way and there are just more cameras capturing the event happening, making it seem like this happening more than normal. Still...Is there something bigger hurling this way that we don't know about?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Greetings...

Do you have a specific passage or item in mind - or the "whole enchilada" (or goulash , as the case may be)?

In the meantime, I've started a few inquiries with some internal pilot/aviation-related folks in Hungary. I'll report back if anything worthwhile pops up...

Happy sleuthing!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo

Greetings...

Do you have a specific passage or item in mind - or the "whole enchilada" (or goulash , as the case may be)?

Thank you for finding the time to chime in, my friend: one of the first things needed would be to know the reliability of the website i've linkeds in my previous post: if i'm correct, Magyar Nemzet is an important Hungarian newspaper, but i'm not sure. In the article, they refer to Astronomical Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences indicating it was either bolide/fireball: for me, it's a little complicated to find out whether they refer to some official statement. Now, i wonder why they've mentioned as source some slovakian institute instead of some Hungarian one: it would be also very helpful to find some official sourced statement: basically, we'd need to know if this was a confirmed natural event.
Many thanks again for finding the time to join the discussion

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Anybody can traslate what this reporter is saying?
Thanks

[edit on 4-3-2010 by cosby]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yes, Magyar Nemzet is a respected journal, though they have a tendency sometimes to sensationalize a bit. Guess that's normal when you're trying to retain readership. Although, to be fair, Hungarian is a very descriptive, colorful language full of metaphor and euphemism and literal translations to English often don't sound quite right - even awkward.

In any case, despite the colorful language, the facts seem well represented. Some Magyar friends and relatives in academia and aviation that have looked into it for me have now replied: everyone seems to agree that this aerial phenomenon, though magnificent in appearance, exceedingly rare, and profoundly unexpected as it may be, is almost certainly a wonderful, but quite natural, occurrence that was witnessed by a few lucky individuals.

A pilot for Malev said that he and some of his fellow jocks have seen a few smaller and less bright versions of the same thing and recognize it as a fireball but admit none of them have ever see one of this magnitude.

One professor reminded us that humans have only been around for a few tens-of-thousands of years and that if just one of these exceedingly bright and rare fireballs showed up every hundred-thousand years or so, that there would still have been about 50,000 such events in Earth's history. Like the pilots, he and his colleagues are pretty much shrugging this one off.

I see no reference, nor can I find one that directly correlates the Slovak Academy of Sciences to this event or even what their official position might be on this. I'm not sure why they were mentioned at all.

The Slovaks and Hungarians have been slinging verbal political mud at each other as of late, so that may have something to do with the *cough* 'cooperation quotient' clouding better communication.

Other than flatly saying "A UFO This was Not" so far no legit or official Hungarian feeds are coughing up anything more juicy to sink our teeth into.

I'll hop back in if something else materializes worth noting. Otherwise:

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Take care...

p.s. Cosby - that woman in the crudely faked video above is gasping Russian into her microphone.

[edit on 3/5/2010 by Outrageo]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Here is what UFO-Blogger said about the incident

UFO fireball was seen over Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Republic on 28 February, 2010
www.ufo-blogger.com...:+ufo_blogger+(Ufo+ blogger+Uncover+The+UFO+Truth)

Shows a few surveillance camera views that I have not seen.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Exactly how much damage would a 1 meter diameter rock do if it did hit the ground anyway? anyone?

top topics

join