It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NANOTECHNOLOGY: Infowar, Nanowar and Exotic Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
"...of particular importance is basic reseach aimed at discovering still unknown attributes of matter, phenomena and the laws of nature, and developing new methods for their study and use to reinforce the state's defense capability." - Proportion of a book by Marshall Grechko

Good technological defence is based on weapons superiority. The current balance of technological power for defence is based on intercontinental nuclear missiles, satellite surveillance systems and heavily armed elite soldiers . Asymetrical information warfare decrease the importance of these macrotechnological powertools. The access to weapons-grade uranium for tactical nukes, deadly viruses or samples of bacteria for biochemical warfare or access to sensitive strategic industrial information to black-mail empower offensive individuals, terrorist groups and corrupt governments.

Technology has always been a wild card in defence analysis. The latest breakthroughs within bio and
nanotechnology is being converted and transfered for defence purposes. The shift from dependence on military hardware to dependence on scientists show the diffusion of military power.

Todays nanotechnology will be common and widely distributed in a few years. Information warfare on the
internet is a precursor to how distributed high-technology warfare may be waged.

Wargames has for a long time been used to experience with defense theory. Rand researcher Calvin
Shipbaugh mention huge components like "gigantic tilt rotors, cavernous strategic-lift vehicles, and island sized-staging structures" being used in the latest Army After Next (AAN) wargame. Information concerning concept models for future defence technology has always been secret. Keep in mind how both quantum and electromagnetic weapons technology only exists on fringe conspiracy-type websites.

Don't expect to find military grade articles about weapons using nanotechnology on the internet any time soon. This article will try to poke at the very sparce information about nanotechnology based weapons and defense systems.

Todays military strategy is heavily based on reconnaissance, surveillance and earth observation
systems fed into pattern recognition systems that scan for military movements or troop enforcements.

UAV�s, blimp�s and satellites overlap resolution and timeframes supporting decision structures. The use of MEMS and nanotech sensor will greatly enhance these capabilities.

Approaches to robotics for geographical rekon differ between supersmart standalone killer warbots to
swarming collective AI microbots. Networks of swarming sensorbots could communicate wireless and give complete combat awareness to employed soldiers.

Exo-skeletons that increase length of feet for running and jumping power enhancement have been tested for military purposes. Next generation army suits will use integrated MEMS to support the soldier with with extra lifting-power. Biowar protection suits use microfluidics and bio-chips for detection and sampling of biochemcial agents. Bullet-proof vests use nanomechanical shock-absorbing materials. The use of nanotech materials reduce weight, thickness and increase durability compared to conventional materials. Uniforms that change colors and blend with background is also tested.

Retinal realtime medical surveillance displays gives soldiers empirical data for decision making under physical stress. Direct access to medical condition help predict walking / running distance, alertness, and predict task sucess rates. Sensors give detailed nutrional levels, heartbeat statistics and health advice on the fly.

Applications of MEMS in military systems will help reduce the biggest sustainment requirements: ammunition, petroleum, and food. Microsensors and microprocessors will improve the precision of military weapons. This reduces the need for more munitions on the battlefield. MEMS devices can reduce aerodynamic losses in aircraft. This leads to a reduction in the demand for fuel. MEMS can improve transportation systems by making aircraft and ships faster or more efficient. This will speed up the movement of supplies. In addition, MEMS devices and sensors could be used to maintain the temperatures of perishable products, thus reducing waste and spoilage.

The human body is also open to weaponization. Bionic implants enhancing phsyical strength shows great potential in biodesign soldier systems. Robotic retinas and "listening-boosters" could give extrasensory powers. Bioengineering human tissue for extra strength, nanomedicine or genetherapy that increase key vital soldier parameters. Amphetamies has been used by soldiers since WWI, fighter pilots even use them in crisis situations today. As designer drugs gets genetically engineered for warriors we should expect a new class of Gulf-War syndromes. The near term future of nanotechnology based defense technology blurs the line between hard science and science fiction.

Link - plausible.custompublish.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The man who tiled my home said he was friends with the developer of nanotechnology (highly unlikely, i know)- he said something about the risk that they will reproduce themselves at an uncontrollable rate? sound like gibberish? anyhow- I havent read the article here yet- i guess i should've done that before posting a comment? lol.. he also reminisced about several other events/subjects, including the conspiracy 7 from the 60's, the government being responsible for AIDS.. blah blah..

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
lol, out of control nanoweapons? sounds like Michael Crichton's Prey

good book, i suggest you read it, even if its fiction =P

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Grey Goo

Ah yes, the infamous Grey Goo.

It's generally best to demand strict chastity on the part of one's nanites, if I take all this right.

Edit: No it really is "grey" with an "e". Poor dumb Yank that I am, I thought it was "gray".

[edit on 2/18/2005 by Majic]

top topics

join