It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We, ATS Members, Must Focus On Politics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+82 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Last week we grabbed your attention with the unapologetic thread, I'm pissed!! (political trolls and hacks), that received a large number of flags, stars, and an overwhelming majority of members who agreed with the sentiment. Also, there were more than a few members who took offense at the harsh emotive wording... my only comment would be something along the lines of, "if the shoe fits" or something similar. It's unfortunate we have a seemingly large number of members either purposefully or unwittingly perpetuating the malicious us-versus-them distraction of contemporary US and international politics. But it's encouraging to see the majority of our members not playing that game for "them."

Since some seemed to have perceived last week's announcement as a dislike of political discussion, I want to emphasis nothing could be further from the truth. We re-integrated AbovePolitics.com back into ATS precisely because it's vitally important that we discuss the ever-evolving increasingly-damaging political landscape.

However... it is exceptionally disappointing to have seen how many ATS members avoid politics completely. And that must change... here's why.

We are obligated to be political...

As people who claim to be concerned about conspiracy theories, we cannot and should not avoid politics.

While it might be reaching to say every conspiracy discussed on ATS has its roots in politics in one way or another, it's safe to say more than 98% do.

We (conspiracy-minded people) cannot research or discuss conspiracy theories effectively without a solid knowledge of the political influences involved. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that the conspiracists who shy away from politics will end up presenting incomplete theories, errant analysis, and short-sighted speculation.

The contemporary malevolent political war gridlocking the US (and spilling over into international politics) is one of the largest broadest-reaching conspiracies of our time. The war of ideologies is distracting an entire nation while some of the largest issues ever encountered are disregarded, and some of the most nefarious new policies slip in unnoticed. We are witnessing a bitter apex to a long war of political doctrines, and who better to help others understand the situation than us?

Turn the tide... at least on ATS

We (the staff of ATS) call upon every member who ever spoke the words, "Deny Ignorance," with pride and admiration to turn your attention, your reason, your level-headed demeanor, and your ability to focus on issues to contemporary politics.

Expose the corruption inherent in both "sides" of the artificial two-party system.

Look past the political rhetoric and highly-paid media firebrands to examine the essence of the real issues.

Hold all politicians accountable for their words, their actions, and their financial influences.

Apply the unique and collaborative critical thinking of conspiracy speculation on ATS to the malfeasance that has held sway in Washington, DC for decades -- and seems to have been peaking over the past twelve years.

You will be noticed...

With four-million visits a month and eight-million posts, the ATS platform is a powerful one. Your efforts may not make a difference nationally and/or internationally, but you will be noticed.

If not us, then who?

Now is the time to prove we mean, "Deny Ignorance," and apply that lofty goal to the problem of what feels like this nation's "suicide by politics."

Deny Ignorance.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement agaisnt the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the creeping crud of history that has clouded our minds and dulled our brains. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. It's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Amen Skeptic.

I will make it my personal mission to start using more analysis based posts in the future, and start really questioning the policies of our government and of the people who work within.

When I joined this website a few short months ago, I had no idea what I would be getting myself in to, and now that I have an understanding about how many people view this site on a daily basis, I agree with your statement that we are indeed on a very powerful platform, and that, someway, somehow, our voices will be heard.

Thank you for the battle cry, because I think we all need it.

-truthseeker.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You will be noticed...

Isnt that really the scary part?

Touch the wrong buttons and watch the conspiracy unfold before you eyes.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
All I can say is that politics impacts just about everything we do in life one way or the other. I personally think that the lack of participation is one of the main reasons are politicians take us for granted. Politicians know that only a portion of Americans are truly involved.

I would love to see more members involved. All I ask is that we keep it courteous.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Blah. All who read views in opposition to their own will scream "TROLL" or similar.

You guys do respectable work here. Allowing people from all walks to debate or discuss topics that would be ignored elsewhere.

The toxins from the trolls, and those who feel threatened but oppositional statements are a hazard that will always be there. The level handed approach thus far is appreciated at least by this inebriated individual.

Personally I think it would be awesome to have a "put the proof where the comment is" philosophy. But in many discussions that would not work out too well.

Anyway, I know the staff is under some weird pressure from the community, I for one just hope that there maintains an atmosphere of open acceptance for all stances-more aptly that the online community sucks it up a bit and becomes more adult about all threads..

Ill wrap up, Im drunk. My apologies.

EDIT: Threats->threads

[edit on 1-3-2010 by lordtyp0]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
wow... I rather doubt I can add anything to this... so very well put... and i do agree ..."if the shoe fits"...

On a better note... this is by far the best site out there and it is a shame that there are ignorant people who troll and do nothing but that... there have been times when I myself have made an off the cuff remark that was done in bad taste... and for those stupid uninformed remarks I am sorry.

I am here to be educated.... and to soak up truth in what ever form I can... but I cannot do a thing with ignorance...

thanks for the battle song here sir...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Great post
and hope to see a more productive outcome of this. I hope this will help people to consider the subject more adequately and desist from any sort of activity not related to the subject on political topics be it Domestic or International.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You sort out some sort of system where I am not standing alongside Allan Alien and Higher Plane Penelope and I'll join right in.

The Dalai Lama should either keep to the politics or keep to the spiritual. This is the type of Black and White thinking that this thread starts out with, only with ATS being the thing you must opt into with your membership because it is un-community-like not too.

Papiere?

As it is I always spoil my votes at the ballot box and promote others to do so too.

Good luck on your political movement ATS, I'm not with you, or behind you but I support your trying to make a difference.

Give everybody hell!

-m0r

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Popeye.

I am what I am.

Okay, before I go on, well said Overlord!

Of course the conversation must continue!

That is why I joined here, to learn and to teach.

Give me Freedom or give me death!

Oh and to show my absolute contempt for the status quo, I am sure some have seen this comment from me before.

Dem=Repub as Bush=Obama as Tyranny=Tyranny

From a person I listen to a lot-myself!

For no real free man will ever be truly free, without the very responsibilities that entails.

One must not look at any other, to expect them to provide your Freedom. It is your responsibility alone, to furnish the very Liberty you desire.

Freedom is wrought with peril
Liberty is wrought with responsibility
both are but just a dream that you; I; and all of the world, must pursue with our very lives, if necessary.

link   
With the advent of the internet, society has in fact become very polarized.

For example, people who lean to the liberal end of the spectrum tend to view only liberal media. People who lean to the conservative only read the right wing blogosphere.

Both sides seek to disinform and distort the views of the other. The result is there are very few sources of common knowledge which have the public trust. Science is (or maybe was) supposed to one of those bastions, but as politics gets involved, our trust in that begins to fail as well.

Our discourse is so fragmented and there is almost nothing in the way of common terms of reference, and every source which claims to be so is cause for doubt.

The result of the availability of so much information, and all of it considered spurious, is the retreat of the public away from true knowledge and enlightenment, so much so that unless the trend reverses, another Dark Age is not out of the question.

In other words, we have so much information available to us today, but when we refuse to believe in anything other than that which confirms what we already know, we are nothing but ignorant

link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Expose the corruption inherent in both "sides" of the artificial two-party system.

Hey SO, I'm glad you brought that up

I try to follow that while browsing in the Political Madness forum, works most of the time. The problem is some knuckleheads see your opinion on "Senator X" and assume you follow their opposing views....that's when the fun starts.

Maybe we need to tone down the title a bit...
Newer members may get the impression Madness is okay?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

While it might be reaching to say every conspiracy discussed on ATS has its roots in politics in one way or another, it's safe to say more than 98% do.

I'd say 99.98%, but then, I tend to the dramatic.

... Thank you. VERY important point, perspective. A man after me own heart.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Oh, good! We need some new blood in the political discussions around here.

Seriously, I welcome this challenge. We all need to think more critically and delve into political subjects in hopes of finding the truth, not just something that backs up our political views. I love that you said, "We are obligated to be political" and I couldn't agree more. We put our lives in the hands of these people who are running the government and it's our duty to question, investigate and analyze them at every turn.

I look forward to more engaging discussions in politics. It's why I came to ATS in the first place.

link   
I see politics as a 'head fake' by those who run things (money). Both parties have participated in the loss of rights and indebtedness foisted upon us all. My only contribution would be to try and point that out to shills on both sides.

link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
You sort out some sort of system where I am not standing alongside Allan Alien and Higher Plane Penelope and I'll join right in.

One could argue that, because of politics, you're not.

The deep-seated conspiracies of the UFO cover-ups and disparaging cultural stance toward higher-spiritual/paranormal revelations is because various government policies are keeping it that way. Hrm... that pesky politics again.

link   
No offence but perceived? You thread was a very clear rant about how you don't want ATS to have political debate. And then when ATS members questioned that you never posted one reply?
And now it seems to be a total 180 degree turn. Why did not just keep the other thread going and post replies in it?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I slowed my participation in the political
forums because there seems to be so little regard or understanding of the Constitution. Every time I discuss it I get called all kinds of names and a few times I've been accused of plotting bomb attacks, I've been called a murderer, I've received threatening messages. This is nothing new to me as I've been very publicly outspoken for a very long time, but I choose not to bring more of that upon myself.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That was a moving thread SO. One of the great speeches that strikes to the soul. We are the people, and we demand to be noticed. Thanks for the empowerment!

edit to add: I for one had been shying away from the political spectrum because of the trolling. Even maybe a little afraid to post a breaking news story because of retribution from one side or the other. I stay in the middle.

Your right it is our responsibility to bring wrongdoings to the forefront. No matter how some others might perceive it.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Here here!

Not much else to say except excellent statements, and we can only hope it has a profound impact on the posters here. It will only fuel my resolve even more.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
You thread was a very clear rant about how you don't want ATS to have political debate.

Nothing of the sort.

The thread was very clear that we don't want the acidic insults, name-calling, and knee-jerk parroting of partisan slander infecting otherwise meaningful dialogue.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join