It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
articles.sfgate.com...

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

Too bad he didn't publish the numbers he "crunched" or how he did it.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Wow, I can't believe that no one has ever calculated the date of the rapture before.

No, really, I can't believe it. from wikipedia:

Some notable rapture predictions include the following:

* 1792 - Shakers calculated this date.[citation needed]
* 1844 - William Miller predicted Christ would return between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844, then revised his prediction, claiming to have miscalculated Scripture, to October 22, 1844. The result of their being no second coming was refered to as the Great Disappointment. Miller's theology gave rise to the Advent movement.
* 1977 - William M. Branham predicted in 1962 that the Rapture could take place by 1977[citation needed]
* 1981 - Chuck Smith predicted that Jesus would probably return by 1981.[44]
* 1988 - Publication of 88 Reasons why the Rapture is in 1988, by Edgar C. Whisenant.
* 1989 - Publication of The final shout: Rapture report 1989, by Edgar Whisenant. More predictions by this author appeared for 1992, 1995, and other years.
* 1992 - Korean group "Mission for the Coming Days" predicted October 28, 1992 as the date for the rapture.[45]
* 1993 - Seven years before the year 2000. The rapture would have to start to allow for seven years of the Tribulation before the Return in 2000. Multiple predictions.
* 1994 - Pastor John Hinkle of Christ Church in Los Angeles predicted June 9, 1994. Radio evangelist Harold Camping predicted September 27, 1994.[46]
* 2011 - Harold Camping's revised prediction has May 21, 2011 as the date of the rapture.[47]
* 2060 - Sir Isaac Newton proposed, based upon his calculations using figures from the book of Daniel, that the Apocalypse could happen no earlier than 2060.

And one more... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Around 20 minutes ago I was trying to google his name but couldn't remember it. The reason I was doing it is because I'm in the bay area and I've always heard him on the radio, and in another thread on ATS (the one about tithes) people were saying to leave the church and this guy always said that. However, this guy has made several claims that never unfolded, and the rapture is not real.

With that being said, he will have another FAIL under his belt.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Darn it. Why does the apocalypse have to come during Summer Blockbuster season, can't we get it on a week when only romantic comedies come out?

Every generation thinks it is the last and the con artists just keep churning out the garbage to leech on the doomphiles and poor gullible saps who soak this stuff up.

[edit on 1-3-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
And any biblical scholar that thinks he has figured out the rapture date is not to be taken seriously. Go look at the verse where the Bible it says that no one knows the date or the time of the second coming of Christ. Every generation has had their "anti-christ" or thought the apocolypse was just around the corner.

I don't believe in any of it to be honest, just thought I would point out that a guy who studies the bible so much and trusts it somehow manages to miss a verse saying his task is futile and impossible.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Hmm

Maybe every generation does have their own anti-christ, and some of them are just never fulfilled...

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've posted this before, but it seems to fit so I'll post it again.

I was in middle school going on a field trip. It was a day that had been widely pruported to be the day of Christ's return.

As we're driving down the main road in Pigeon Forge, TN, I happen to look out the window and guess what I saw?!

Jesus....walking down the street and smoking a cigarette.

He was just an actor in a passion play that was performing there at the time, but I sure did a double take.

The thing is, I guess we'll know if he's correct fairly soon, huh?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Not much of an antichrist, then.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
May 21 is a bad day for me. Can he change it to a later date please?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

I'm 100% sure this guy had a very bored frustrated issued sexual life. I doubt someone with a nice woman in home would spent 70 years scrutinizing the Bible... I just can't hear the dialogues in his home, before bed time:
- Honey, are you coming to bed now??
- No, sweetheart, I'm almost finding the right calculates to determinate the exact date of the world's ending...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55a2f697ce81.png[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
On May 22, 2011, a biblical scholar will find his entire life has been waisted and his mathmatical system he invented will be filed next to a screen door for a submarine

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think the "Bible code prophecies" and the people that supposedly find the "codes" and the people that believe them are more than crazy in the head. I mean, come on people! Doesn't anybody take into consideration that the bible has been translated numerous times? Not to mention that the some of the translated words don't exactly mean what the original words meant, or that certain words take on different meanings throughout time. The Bible was translated In many different languages and all bibles are not identical word-for-word, even the different versions in the same language. Knowing that each version is not identical would this mean that each version of the Bible has it's own "Bible code" or it's own specific prophecies? If there is someone on this forum that actually finds these codes in the Bible or believes them, would you please enlighten me into your train of thought? I just don't understand why people would believe this garbage. Think of all the translations people! I haven't even mentioned that there are verses in some of the books of the Bible that have been purposely left out for many different reasons. But, If you "Bible code" followers could get back to me and inform me on the thought process behind this it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

On May 23rd, he'll realize that his calculations were supposed to apply to the end of his possible world. On may 24th, he'll find obituaries for every person he ever loved.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Harold Camping's predictions and analyses are laid out on his website:

First on why one can accurately predict the end time:

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

From these verses we learn that during the church age there would be a great curiosity concerning the time of the end, but believers were not to be at all preoccupied with this question. They were to concentrate and focus all of their attention on the task of bringing the Gospel to the whole world.

Therefore, regardless of how brilliant or how learned a theologian or Bible student might have been, or how diligently they studied the Bible or faithfully served Christ, it was impossible to learn from the Bible the timetable for the end of the world. Anyone who claimed he knew the time of the end was always wrong.

Nevertheless, there is a very striking statement in the Bible. It is recorded in Ecclesiastes 8:5. There God declares:

Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man’s heart discerneth [better translation: will know] both time and judgment.

In the Bible a wise man is a true believer, to whom God has given a profound trust in the authority of the Bible. True believers have been in existence since the beginning of time. But the timeline of history as it is revealed in the Bible was never revealed to the hearts of the true believers. For example, throughout most of the church age it was generally believed that Creation occurred in the year 4004 B.C.

www.familyradio.com...
(mods if you think this is too long, please cut just SOME of it...thanks)

Also, from his website, the timeline calcs of why its may 21 2011. basically its 7000 years to the day (1 day 1000 years 1000 years a day) from the time of Noah's flood, where people would be judged 7 days after the flood.

"This salvation is not occurring in any church, but will continue outside of the churches to the end of the Great Tribulation, on May 21, 2011."

I listen to brother Camping. I know not to take some preachers too seriously. As a Catholic, I cant know and would like it to be rather quick either way! If im not taken, its gonna be slow and painful but if I am...yay!

Anyway, BC says that most the info has been sealed until close to the end time.

i'll try and dig up the actual timeline and all that information, its all on www.familyradio.com.

One thing I noticed was there was a caller who called into his show at night (called open forum, please don't be a jerk who calls and just says F you, or youre gonna be pretty silly when your wrong) who said he made a prediction for 1994? He admitted to it and said he was wrong and miscalculated etc. Anyway, regardless of the fact that he was wrong and COULD BE WRONG AGAIN, hes pretty sharp on the bible, so I do like listening to him in case anyone was wondering why.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I think the "Bible code prophecies" and the people that supposedly find the "codes" and the people that believe them are more than crazy in the head. I mean, come on people! Doesn't anybody take into consideration that the bible has been translated numerous times? Not to mention that the some of the translated words don't exactly mean what the original words meant, or that certain words take on different meanings throughout time.

Again, another quote from the site, and apparently a bible quote ( I have not substantiated)

"In Revelation 22:18-19 we read:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book"

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There's no such thing as a predetermined future.

top topics

join